Thursday, April 26, 2018

Boy drains entire pond to find his iPhone

Posted on Monday, 4 August, 2014 | Comment icon 39 comments

The boy's solution didn't go quite according to plan. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A boy in Germany took matters in to his own hands when he lost his phone during a fishing trip.
The hapless schoolboy had been enjoying an afternoon on the pond in a boat with his friends when he accidentally dropped his prized mobile over the side and in to the water.

The water was too deep to retrieve the phone so the boy asked the angling club whether he could use a diving suit to swim down and retrieve it himself. When they declined however he decided to take matters in to his own hands and returned to the pond that same night armed with a hose and two pumps.

"I thought two pumps would drain enough of the water from the pond so I could find my cellphone," he said. "I knew the phone was probably dead but wanted to get the data card back with the numbers, pictures and videos of my friends."

To get rid of the water the teenager placed the other end of the hose down a portable toilet, not realizing that it wasn't connected to the sewers. When the owner returned the next morning he found the whole place flooded and ended up calling the police.

Despite the debacle however the boy remains adamant that his plan was a good one.

"It almost worked," he said.

Source: Metro | Comments (39)

Tags: Pond, Drain, Phone

Comment icon #30 Posted by Azznerak the Black on 5 August, 2014, 1:27
Nothing like destroying nature to retrieve your sorry ass Iphone. Stupid-ass kids. Nothing amuses me more then watching the gaggle of techno-zombies tweet about what they ate for lunch before sending their facebook friends game invites.
Comment icon #31 Posted by smokeycat on 5 August, 2014, 13:58
Did you read the article properly? He wasn't trying to save his phone, but his data card. iPhones don't have data cards...
Comment icon #32 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 August, 2014, 14:45
iPhones don't have data cards... SIM card? I ask because I really don't know. I won't own anything made by crapple.
Comment icon #33 Posted by smokeycat on 5 August, 2014, 14:53
SIM card? I ask because I really don't know. I won't own anything made by crapple. Quote ‘I knew the phone was probably dead but wanted to get the data card back with the numbers, pictures and videos of my friends.’ SIM cards don't store pictures or videos. Maybe it wasn't an iPhone.
Comment icon #34 Posted by StRoostifer on 5 August, 2014, 14:57
Quote ‘I knew the phone was probably dead but wanted to get the data card back with the numbers, pictures and videos of my friends.’ SIM cards don't store pictures or videos. Maybe it wasn't an iPhone. Thanks for pointing that out, slipped my mind since I read the article yesterday. It certainly does not sound like an iPhone at all. Good call.
Comment icon #35 Posted by DieChecker on 5 August, 2014, 20:35
iPhone: Understanding SIM cards This article discusses the SIM card in your iPhone, and how to use it to import contacts and other information. Note: This information applies to devices that use a SIM card. Just like most cellular phones, the iPhone uses a SIM card to determine the phone number, carrier, and features are available for the account. However, the iPhone does not store contacts and phone numbers on the SIM card. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4994 So the iphone has a SIM card, which is needed to use some connection features, but it does not store anything like personal data, or pic... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by DieChecker on 5 August, 2014, 20:40
Apparently there are ways to get pics and data off a totally trashed iphone, but they can get expensive and I doubt the kid could have afforded it, or done it himself.
Comment icon #37 Posted by danielost on 6 August, 2014, 0:39
Yea, but all he had to do is tell his dad HD had dropped it in the lake and ruined it. Wouldn't have to tell dad it was twenty feet under water.
Comment icon #38 Posted by delton on 6 August, 2014, 1:54
is it me or does that sound like crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comment icon #39 Posted by Sundew on 11 August, 2014, 14:04
One would think it would not take too long to realize the toilet was not hooked up to anything.

Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
'World's largest mosquito' discovered in China
4-25-2018
A Chinese entomologist found the insect, which has a wingspan of 11.5cm, during a field trip last year.
New 'Noah's Ark' will store DNA of complex life
4-24-2018
The ambitious BioGenome Project aims to sequence and store the genomes of more than 1.5 million species.
Hubble Space Telescope has turned 28
4-24-2018
The world-famous telescope has been capturing images of the cosmos for the better part of three decades.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA