Wednesday, December 2, 2020
  Bizarre

65-year-old woman pregnant with quadruplets

Posted on Sunday, 12 April, 2015 | Comment icon 51 comments

Raunigk is confident that she will be able to raise her children despite her age. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A teacher from Berlin has become the oldest woman in history to become pregnant with four babies.
Anngret Raunigk, who already has 13 children by 5 different fathers, is now 21 weeks pregnant with quadruplets after undergoing fertility treatment.

An English and Russian teacher from Germany, Raunigk had given birth to her last child at the age of 55, itself a record at the time.

Her decision to try for more children was spurred on by her nine-year-old daughter's desire for more brothers and sisters.
Having expected only one baby however she was shocked to discover that she was carrying four.

"Of course it was a shock for me," she said. "After the doctor established that it was four, I had to think about it at first... whether to give the children to foster parents or adoption or reduce them."

Despite the risks inherent with having quadruplets however, especially at such an advanced age, Raunigk and her doctor are both confident that all four babies can be delivered alive and well.

Fortunately with 13 children, the oldest of which being 44, the mother-to-be will also have plenty of support available to help her raise her new brood after she gives birth in the summer.

Source: Irish Times | Comments (51)

Tags: Pregnancy, Baby, Quadruplets

Comment icon #42 Posted by Leonardo on 14 April, 2015, 15:06
Well my thoughts are newspaper articles like this are actually designed to generate controversy. I'm sure she isn't the only woman over 60 to ever have a child, now the odds of a woman being inseminated after 60 must be remarkable (hence the article) but other than that it's an article designed to sell papers. I would hope that she had other reasons for going through a difficult process other than just to please her child. With the expense(?) and the hoops she should have gone through to get pregnant, these things should have stopped her if she wasn't serious about having a child. So I don't p... [More]
Comment icon #43 Posted by Mabon on 14 April, 2015, 15:24
You know if having the children to please another child was her only reason don't you think that would have been detected by the doctor/s working her case. I don't know how it is in other countries but in the USA there is a lot of screening that perspective parties have to go through for official adoptions or in vitro fertilization. You think that one would have caught on and stopped the process if she wasn't "fit" physically or mentally. Well if she likes taking care of them, she is getting her wish X4. Mabon.
Comment icon #44 Posted by Hawkin on 14 April, 2015, 22:39
13 children from 5 fathers and now geriatric quintups? Responsible or stable is not a term I would use to describe this nut job. The doctors that gave her the fertility treatments should have their license revoked IMO. 5 fathers and 13 children. Obviously she likes to
Comment icon #45 Posted by Cat_From_Hell on 14 April, 2015, 22:45
5 fathers and 13 children. Obviously she likes to Someone's got to.
Comment icon #46 Posted by DieChecker on 15 April, 2015, 19:51
Comment icon #47 Posted by tcgram on 15 April, 2015, 23:54
Did this lady never go through menopause? I thought once that happened the body couldn't carry a baby anymore. I know that some few women do change later then others, but by 60 you'd think she'd have gone through menopause. Or, did they give her hormone therapy first?? That might work... I was wondering that myself, but then again she did have her 13th child at age 55.....
Comment icon #48 Posted by Moon Gazer on 16 April, 2015, 7:00
Did this lady never go through menopause? I thought once that happened the body couldn't carry a baby anymore. I know that some few women do change later then others, but by 60 you'd think she'd have gone through menopause. Or, did they give her hormone therapy first?? That might work... You are right, hormone therapy would be needed. Obviously if she has gone through menopause her own eggs would most likely be no good (I'm currently a surrogate for my sister who went through an early menopause, even though she is only 37 we are doing this with my own eggs). I can't say for certain but I would... [More]
Comment icon #49 Posted by DieChecker on 17 April, 2015, 4:39
Not impossible, just very unlikely. I did look at a couple articles and none of them say she did anything other then the "Ordinary" method.
Comment icon #50 Posted by Erowin on 18 April, 2015, 1:33
As someone who's mother had them rather late in life (not 65 though!), I get kinda touchy about this subject. My mom tried having kids for a long time, and kept having miscarriages until a few actually 'took'. I'm also very close to my family, so maybe this wouldn't apply to someone who's gone from home at 18 and never wants to see their mom again. The problem is you don't get a mom as long. And especially at 65, when the average lifespan is maybe 80. Assuming she lives that long, these poor kids will lose their parents at 15. No one should have to lose a parent that young. I feel like its sli... [More]
Comment icon #51 Posted by Shiriki-chan on 6 May, 2015, 1:28
Why yes, let's allow the whims of a nine-year-old to dictate major life choices. Can I have a pink pony with that as well? Some people -.-

Arecibo observatory has now totally collapsed
12-2-2020
The iconic telescope, which had shut recently after sustaining earthquake damage, has now collapsed.
60ft moving Gundam robot unveiled in Japan
12-1-2020
Japan's Gundam Factory Yokohama complex has revealed its fully functional, life-size robot to the media.
Another monolith has turned up in Romania
12-1-2020
The mystery of the '2001' monoliths has deepened after another one has appeared half way across the world.
Uri Geller apologizes for Pokemon lawsuit
11-30-2020
The spoon bending Israeli had previously sued Nintendo for their use of a Pokemon that was inspired by him.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball