Monday, October 21, 2019

5 billion-year-old deep space signal detected

Posted on Tuesday, 7 July, 2015 | Comment icon 15 comments

The signal was picked up by a team in Australia. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Ant Schinckel
Astronomers in Australia have picked up cosmic radio waves originating from a distant galaxy.
The signal was detected by the Australian Square Kilometer Array Pathfinder (ASKAP), a new radio telescope located approximately 300km inland from Geraldton on the country's west coast.

The project is designed to locate distant galaxies beyond the detection range of most other radio telescopes, a goal made possible by ASKAP's fast survey speed and high sensitivity.

This latest signal, which originates from a galaxy known as PKS B1740-517, is over five billion years old and exhibits a cold hydrogen gas imprint, the foundation for the formation of new stars.

The find is particularly encouraging and opens up the doors to more discoveries in the future.

"We'll be hunting for galaxies that are five to eight billion years old, a timespan that represents a fifth of the universe's history," said astrophysicist Elaine Sadler. "We want to learn how much hydrogen galaxies had in this period for forming stars. Until now we've had few tools for doing that."

Source: IB Times | Comments (15)

Tags: Galaxy, ASKAP

Comment icon #6 Posted by Athena1979 on 7 July, 2015, 17:21
Wait...are they sure it isn't the microwave this time?
Comment icon #7 Posted by jarjarbinks on 7 July, 2015, 17:48
Mmmm some aliens probably sent a message to say "WE WILL COME EXTERMINATE YOU" . They did, but it was the dinosaurs. Radio message takes a long time to reach here
Comment icon #8 Posted by bubblykiss on 7 July, 2015, 18:03
Was it a call from Intergalactic Bell offering me new savings on my long distance bill?
Comment icon #9 Posted by toast on 7 July, 2015, 18:32
So the signal was emitted 500 millions years b4 the Earth came into existence. Thats grazy.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Junior Chubb on 8 July, 2015, 8:35
Cosmic FM? I think I will tune in
Comment icon #11 Posted by Sundew on 8 July, 2015, 15:47
Cosmic FM? I think I will tune in Playing such hits as: "Ground Control to Major Tom..." Space Oddity, Bowie "My love is alien, I picked her up by chance, she speaks to me, in ultra-high frequency..." Poor Boy, Split Enz "I'm the Space Cowboy, bet you weren't ready for that..." Space Cowboy, Steve Miller Band and so forth.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Junior Chubb on 9 July, 2015, 12:51
Playing such hits as: "Ground Control to Major Tom..." Space Oddity, Bowie "My love is alien, I picked her up by chance, she speaks to me, in ultra-high frequency..." Poor Boy, Split Enz "I'm the Space Cowboy, bet you weren't ready for that..." Space Cowboy, Steve Miller Band and so forth. Starship Strooper by Yes. Spaceman by Baylon Zoo Outta space by The Prodigy Intergalactic by The Beastie Boys Rocket Man by Elton John This could go on for some time, a few billion years maybe?
Comment icon #13 Posted by Bavarian Raven on 9 July, 2015, 14:30
Universes older SOS?
Comment icon #14 Posted by Melgwenen on 13 July, 2015, 8:21
I bet it'll be that galaxies version of a candy crush request.
Comment icon #15 Posted by lilnat89 on 16 July, 2015, 18:01
wow over 5billion years old that's crazy . amazing x

Two brothers saw a 'UFO battle' 40 years ago
10-20-2019
Rob and Phil Tindale have stood by their claim that they witnessed two UFOs battling in the skies over Australia.
Ancient 'lost city' rediscovered in Cambodia
10-20-2019
Archaeologists have announced the discovery of the lost city of Mahendraparvata deep in the Cambodian jungle.
Mystery skeleton found on Mount Williamson
10-19-2019
Two climbers ascending California's second-highest peak recently uncovered a decades-old mystery.
US Navy's 'Doomsday' plane taken out by a bird
10-19-2019
An aircraft designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse recently suffered a rather unfortunate mishap.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ