Thursday, June 27, 2019

New video shows dark side of the moon

Posted on Thursday, 6 August, 2015 | Comment icon 31 comments

The image sequence shows the moon passing in front of the Earth. Image Credit: NASA
NASA has released a unique video showing the dark side of the moon as it passes in front of the Earth.
While just about everyone will have gone outside on a clear night to gaze up at the moon at least once during their lifetime, what can't be seen from the surface of the Earth is the side of the moon that faces away from us - the 'dark side' that is permanently hidden from view.

Now in an impressive new image sequence NASA has revealed what the moon looks like from the other side as it passes over our planet thanks to the Deep Space Climate Observatory satellite, a spacecraft that orbits at a distance of one million miles from the Earth.

Using its Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera (EPIC) the probe is designed to keep a watchful eye on our planet for the purpose of monitoring the climate and to help predict space weather.

The first time the far side of the moon was viewed was in 1959 by Soviet spacecraft Luna 3.

"It is surprising how much brighter Earth is than the Moon," said NASA's Adam Szabo. "Our planet is a truly brilliant object in dark space compared to the lunar surface."

Source: Sky News | Comments (31)

Tags: Moon, Earth

Comment icon #22 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 7 August, 2015, 23:19
Do you actually believe what you're saying? I thought you were smarter than that, no offense. edit: to my horror, I see others here blindly agreeing with your view and calling their belief "fact". Guess it's time for me to switch to a science forum where people know what they're talking about. I've been observing a gradual degradation here on UM, shame really... Could you elaborate on why you think Frank Merton is wrong ? I would be very interested in hearing why you think the farside of the moon gets less light than the side facing Earth ? (except for the reflected light from the Earth)
Comment icon #23 Posted by Frank Merton on 8 August, 2015, 1:39
Express away Frank But why change the 'common' name it is given based on the view get from Earth, I am happy to say the sun rises in the East even though it is us turning to face the sun, I am happy to go to the ends of the Earth to keep my other half happy yet the Earth has no ends this leaves me more than happy to say the light and dark sides of the moon. Either way its a great place for the Jedi and Sith to hide out without crossing paths with each other. Yea -- that's a standing problem -- whether to let something that isn't a planet continue to be called one, to let people continue to ref... [More]
Comment icon #24 Posted by Rolci on 8 August, 2015, 2:02
woah, a whole crowd! Could you elaborate on why you think Frank Merton is wrong ? I would be very interested in hearing why you think the farside of the moon gets less light than the side facing Earth ? (except for the reflected light from the Earth) woah, a whole crowd! and to top them, you have the added "benefit" of imagining things. For example that I said anything like "the farside of the moon gets less light". (Which I didn't. Why would I, if it is not so? Actually that assumption says a lot about your lack of understanding.) I must thank FM though, excellent confirmation of my previous ... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by Merc14 on 8 August, 2015, 3:17
woah, a whole crowd! woah, a whole crowd! and to top them, you have the added "benefit" of imagining things. For example that I said anything like "the farside of the moon gets less light". (Which I didn't. Why would I, if it is not so? Actually that assumption says a lot about your lack of understanding.) I must thank FM though, excellent confirmation of my previous estimations of the level of average "expertise" among commentators. So he takes the cookie today, all the more since he also shares the "added benefit" feature of imagining things. He sincerely believes that I have experience with... [More]
Comment icon #26 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 8 August, 2015, 6:51
Rolci, Noteverythingisaconspiracy asked you a simple question, "what is it that you think is wrong with what Frank Merton is saying?" You have provided us with a long rambling post which, whilst attacking the scientific capabilities of everyone else, carefully avoids actually answering the question. I may not agree with Frank's sentiments but so far I can't disagree with his facts. Since you seem to be arguing that he is wrong when no one else can see the mistakes you claim to see there is only one logical conclusion, it is you that doesn't have the scientific understanding you think you do...... [More]
Comment icon #27 Posted by Aardvark-DK on 8 August, 2015, 13:02
Was about to say the same as others. The "Man" photoshopped the Alien bases and crafts out ! b******* ! I can't decide if this is a tin-foil-hat moment hehe
Comment icon #28 Posted by Oops Monkey on 11 August, 2015, 20:02
I believe this might be the one and only time I agree with Frank... https://en.wikipedia...ide_of_the_Moon By the way, I thought this was common knowledge - once again I was proven wrong. Edited to protect Pink Floyd
Comment icon #29 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 11 July, 2016, 18:38
NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth for 2nd Time in a Year
Comment icon #30 Posted by Merc14 on 12 July, 2016, 0:27
Amazing images.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Calibeliever on 12 July, 2016, 18:04
That is so cool. Thanks for posting!

Mobile network balloon sparks UFO scare
6-26-2019
Residents of Butler County, Ohio were left perplexed earlier this month by a giant white orb in the sky.
Town commemorates historic UFO abduction
6-26-2019
The Mississippi town of Pascagoula has placed a marker next to the river where two men were abducted by aliens.
Popeye was right: spinach makes you strong
6-25-2019
Scientists have called for a chemical in spinach to be added to the list of banned substances for athletes.
Footage of weird 'gorilla crow' goes viral
6-25-2019
A recent video from Japan shows what appears to be a crow engaged in some rather peculiar behavior.
Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx

Bed shaking
6-15-2019 | India

Red floating lights
6-15-2019 | Canada

A night-time encounter
5-28-2019 | Missouri

UFO flies over home
5-28-2019 | Ypsilanti, Mi

Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment