Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Urinate on your socks to charge your phone

Posted on Saturday, 12 December, 2015 | Comment icon 17 comments

It is now possible to charge your phone using your socks. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A bizarre new wearable technology can turn urine in to electricity by having it flow through your socks.
While urine has long been a mainstay for survivalists stranded in the middle of nowhere with nothing to drink, using it to keep your mobile phone working may seem like a bit of a stretch.

Now however a team of researchers at the University of the West of England in Bristol have come up with a peculiar new wearable technology that can generate electricity as you walk around.

It works by having urine flow through a series of tubes within a person's socks while a microbial fuel cell feeds off the nutrients and generates electricity.

Previous versions of this technology have required a pump to maintain the flow, but by having it built in to footwear the simple act of walking around is enough to keep the whole thing working.
"There is a boom in wearable electronics, and the ability to make biological fuel cells that are flexible and wearable takes the application to the next level," said researcher Heather Luckarift.

How exactly the user will refill the device however is a little unclear.

"We envisage gear or clothing that already has or could have excretion incorporated, without people having to worry about collecting or handling their urine," said team leader Ioannis Ieropoulos.

Whether this idea is ever likely to catch on however remains to be seen.

Source: New Scientist | Comments (17)

Tags: Socks, Electricity, Wearable Technology

Comment icon #8 Posted by rattpoison on 12 December, 2015, 23:16
They need to make diapers that can charge batteries. I'd just hook my son up to my phone and give him a bottle.
Comment icon #9 Posted by IBelieveWhatIWant on 12 December, 2015, 23:34
Comment icon #10 Posted by Silver Surfer on 13 December, 2015, 0:02
Surely they are taking the p.iss (Really um... the word p***?)
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hawkin on 13 December, 2015, 5:53
This honestly sounds like that charge your iPhone in a microwave joke. Who honestly would p*** in their socks to charge a phone. The way that people are in love with their mobile phones I wouldn't be surprised if they invested in this technology.
Comment icon #12 Posted by fred_mc on 13 December, 2015, 8:23
I'm sure that this will flop. Maybe somebody who has gotten lost would be desperate enough to use it though ... so maybe it could be sellable as a part of a survival kit.
Comment icon #13 Posted by acute on 13 December, 2015, 12:13
I regularly pee on my socks, so charging my phone would be a bonus.
Comment icon #14 Posted by pallidin on 13 December, 2015, 18:28
New Sign for Men's Urinals: "Please do not flush, this is a charging station"
Comment icon #15 Posted by paperdyer on 14 December, 2015, 6:52
I guess it would be a quick charge system.
Comment icon #16 Posted by and then on 14 December, 2015, 9:47
I regularly pee on my socks, so charging my phone would be a bonus. I thought the same but I'm pretty sure the pee stays inside tubes in the socks. Which is actually even weirder somehow...
Comment icon #17 Posted by highdesert50 on 18 December, 2015, 9:44
What is that tinkle I hear?

191383

UK military opens first space command center
8-2-2021
The new center will help the UK to maintain its interests and achieve a 'battle-winning advantage' in space.
Visitors flock to Devil's Bath in New Zealand
8-2-2021
This unique and brightly colored natural wonder might look pretty, but you definitely don't want to swim in it.
How much heat can a human endure ?
8-1-2021
With heatwaves seeing temperature records being broken on a regular basis, just how hot is too hot ?
Scientists spot real-life Spongebob and Patrick
8-1-2021
A recent underwater expedition picked up footage of a surprisingly familiar looking sponge and starfish.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball