Thursday, April 15, 2021
  Bizarre

Weasel shuts down the Large Hadron Collider

Posted on Saturday, 30 April, 2016 | Comment icon 19 comments

It doesn't take much to immobilize the Large Hadron Collider. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Maximilien Brice
The world's largest atom smasher was immobilized this week by an inquisitive four-legged visitor.
Often described as the most complex experimental facility ever constructed, the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva, Switzerland can be prone to the odd technical hiccup here and there.

This was certainly the case on Friday when the entire facility was temporarily immobilized by the most unlikeliest of antagonists - a small weasel that got in to the main power transformer.
In an announcement about the incident, CERN spokesman Arnaud Marsollier stated that the collider had suspended operations following an electrical outage caused by the unexpected visitor.

It is one of a series of recent setbacks that have prevented the collider from being restarted.

Sadly the culprit - having been fried by the atom smasher's electrics - didn't make it out alive.

Source: MSN | Comments (19)

Tags: Large Hadron Collider

Comment icon #10 Posted by barbco196 on 30 April, 2016, 13:47
What? The weasel didn't get super powers? In the comics the victim of this kind of thing always gets powers. Yep, little weasel went back in time and now he's Stephen Hawking.
Comment icon #11 Posted by LV-426 on 30 April, 2016, 13:58
Comment icon #12 Posted by Infernal Gnu on 30 April, 2016, 19:01
I had to remove some weasel words I used in an article I wrote for Wikipedia, so glad I can use them here.
Comment icon #13 Posted by TripGun on 2 May, 2016, 14:44
Pauly Shore is at it again!
Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever on 2 May, 2016, 16:57
Hmm... googling "wicked weasel" for an image - which I innocently thought was a cartoon character - gave entirely unexpected results: wickedweasel.com Micro bikinis, barely covering girls since 1994 This puts an entirely different complexion on the LHC downtime... Oh my ... And no I didn't google it. I'm wise enough these days that when someone says "don't google that" I take them on their word
Comment icon #15 Posted by barbco196 on 2 May, 2016, 17:07
2009 story ! See what can happen when you mess with the collider?! Time travel!
Comment icon #16 Posted by LV-426 on 2 May, 2016, 17:54
Oh my ... And no I didn't google it. I'm wise enough these days that when someone says "don't google that" I take them on their word I've had several of those "don't google that" moments over the years. "Action Man" when searching for the 70's/80's toy was a huuuuge mistake without the filter on... Wicked Weasel micro bikinis I can live with, seeing as it was an unexpected offshoot of *coughs* genuine research
Comment icon #17 Posted by ChaosRose on 5 May, 2016, 2:15
What a great topic title. Too bad for the weasel, though.
Comment icon #18 Posted by cyclopes500 on 5 May, 2016, 13:36
That rat was found dead in a massive transformer Ok. My electronics knowledge, and that on Induction isn't good but if that thing suddenly lost power, say by someone planting a Rat Bomb in the right position, how much damage would be done? This link might also interest a few. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_rat
Comment icon #19 Posted by ShadowBoy86x on 10 May, 2016, 12:17
2009 story ! nice post, go away. As for the lil guy, thanks for posting tho, love this forum!

Pentagon: Pyramid UFO footage 'authentic'
4-15-2021
The Pentagon has confirmed the authenticity of recently released footage of pyramid-shaped UFOs.
Police disarm 'UFO detector' in New Jersey
4-14-2021
A 'suspicious' device allegedly used to track UFOs was reported to the police in New Jersey State Park recently.
60yrs on - Yuri Gagarin: the first man in space
4-14-2021
On April 12th, 1961, Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin became the first human ever to venture into outer space.
'World's largest rabbit' stolen from garden
4-13-2021
An enormous record-breaking rabbit has been stolen from its enclosure in Worcestershire, England.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball