Friday, October 22, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

Weasel shuts down the Large Hadron Collider

April 30, 2016 | Comment icon 19 comments

It doesn't take much to immobilize the Large Hadron Collider. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Maximilien Brice
The world's largest atom smasher was immobilized this week by an inquisitive four-legged visitor.
Often described as the most complex experimental facility ever constructed, the Large Hadron Collider near Geneva, Switzerland can be prone to the odd technical hiccup here and there.

This was certainly the case on Friday when the entire facility was temporarily immobilized by the most unlikeliest of antagonists - a small weasel that got in to the main power transformer.
In an announcement about the incident, CERN spokesman Arnaud Marsollier stated that the collider had suspended operations following an electrical outage caused by the unexpected visitor.

It is one of a series of recent setbacks that have prevented the collider from being restarted.

Sadly the culprit - having been fried by the atom smasher's electrics - didn't make it out alive.

Source: MSN | Comments (19)

Comment icon #10 Posted by barbco196 6 years ago
What? The weasel didn't get super powers? In the comics the victim of this kind of thing always gets powers. Yep, little weasel went back in time and now he's Stephen Hawking.
Comment icon #11 Posted by LV-426 6 years ago
Comment icon #12 Posted by Infernal Gnu 6 years ago
I had to remove some weasel words I used in an article I wrote for Wikipedia, so glad I can use them here.
Comment icon #13 Posted by TripGun 6 years ago
Pauly Shore is at it again!
Comment icon #14 Posted by Calibeliever 6 years ago
Hmm... googling "wicked weasel" for an image - which I innocently thought was a cartoon character - gave entirely unexpected results: wickedweasel.com Micro bikinis, barely covering girls since 1994 This puts an entirely different complexion on the LHC downtime... Oh my ... And no I didn't google it. I'm wise enough these days that when someone says "don't google that" I take them on their word
Comment icon #15 Posted by barbco196 6 years ago
2009 story ! See what can happen when you mess with the collider?! Time travel!
Comment icon #16 Posted by LV-426 6 years ago
Oh my ... And no I didn't google it. I'm wise enough these days that when someone says "don't google that" I take them on their word I've had several of those "don't google that" moments over the years. "Action Man" when searching for the 70's/80's toy was a huuuuge mistake without the filter on... Wicked Weasel micro bikinis I can live with, seeing as it was an unexpected offshoot of *coughs* genuine research
Comment icon #17 Posted by ChaosRose 6 years ago
What a great topic title. Too bad for the weasel, though.
Comment icon #18 Posted by cyclopes500 6 years ago
That rat was found dead in a massive transformer Ok. My electronics knowledge, and that on Induction isn't good but if that thing suddenly lost power, say by someone planting a Rat Bomb in the right position, how much damage would be done? This link might also interest a few. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_rat
Comment icon #19 Posted by ShadowBoy86x 6 years ago
2009 story ! nice post, go away. As for the lil guy, thanks for posting tho, love this forum!