Monday, January 20, 2020

Explorer finds giant earthworm in rainforest

Posted on Monday, 6 June, 2016 | Comment icon 14 comments

The enormous worm weighed around one pound. Image Credit: YouTube / The Jungle Diaries
Entomologist and TV host Phil Torres encountered the 4ft invertebrate during a tropical rainstorm.
Finding an earthworm in your garden after it rains is not unusual, but for adventurer Phil Torres recently, a drive through the Amazon rainforest resulted in an encounter that he will never forget.

The enormous animal, which measured around 4ft in length, was found crossing the road.
Stopping to investigate it as part of his 'Jungle Diaries' YouTube series, Torres captured a series of size comparison photographs using his iPhone and was also recorded on film holding the worm up to demonstrate the size of the species compared to common earthworms at home.

Even more incredible is the fact that this particular specimen is considered to be relatively small as the species is known to reach lengths of up to 7ft - that's nearly twice the size of this one.

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (14)

Tags: Giant Earthworm, Amazon Rainforest

Comment icon #5 Posted by Beacon_Field on 7 June, 2016, 14:21
I hope he called him Jim, or if he is posh, James.
Comment icon #6 Posted by paperdyer on 7 June, 2016, 18:07
If I saw one, I don't think I'd stick around long enough to determine whether it was a worm or snake.
Comment icon #7 Posted by SD455GTO on 7 June, 2016, 19:46
I remember seeing a picture of a 4 footer in the 1973 Guinness Book of World Records when I got it for Christmas when I was 9. I thought the same thing, what kind of fish would you be looking for and would you bait it with an anchor from a small craft?
Comment icon #8 Posted by Anomalocaris on 8 June, 2016, 1:48

Comment icon #9 Posted by TopToffee on 8 June, 2016, 2:17
An old fisherman once told us to put maggots and worms in our mouths before baiting up to liven them.Old git was pulling a fast one and we fell for it hook line and sinker.Thank god that brute wasnt in my baitbox
Comment icon #10 Posted by qxcontinuum on 8 June, 2016, 4:05
grows 5 to 7 feet ???
Comment icon #11 Posted by Ozfactor on 8 June, 2016, 10:51
I have gippsland earth worms in my garden but the largest I have seen was the size of a fat sausage x
Comment icon #12 Posted by Still Waters on 8 June, 2016, 12:04
You've just reminded me of the time when we were on holiday, my dad was looking for some bait to go fishing with. He found a tin in my uncle's shed which he kept maggots in, but when my dad took the lid off the tin all these blowflies flew out of it.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Still Waters on 8 June, 2016, 12:11
I'm glad we don't have earthworms that size where I am.
Comment icon #14 Posted by TopToffee on 8 June, 2016, 12:54
My old fella did the same thing but they were casters..Simple things..Thank you

Mystery as pigeon spotted wearing a sombrero
1-19-2020
Last month it was pigeons wearing cowboy hats - now it's pigeons wearing sombreros. But who is responsible ?
Man spends two months in a barrel up a pole
1-19-2020
52-year-old Vernon Kruger is well on his way to beating his own existing world record for 'pole sitting'.
Giant squid may be intelligent, new study finds
1-19-2020
For the first time ever, scientists have successfully sequenced the genome of the elusive giant squid.
Man requests sword fight to settle legal dispute
1-18-2020
A Kansas man has requested a duel with his ex-wife and her lawyer to 'resolve their dispute on the field of battle'.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA