Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Juror excused after visit from victim's ghost

Posted on Tuesday, 14 June, 2016 | Comment icon 28 comments

The paranormal encounter left the juror unable to proceed with the trial. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A juror for a murder trial in Canada wrote to the judge after the victim's spirit appeared to her.
In a letter sent to Justice Glen Poelman of the Court of Queen’s Bench, the unnamed juror asked to be dismissed from the Lukas Strasser-Hird homicide trial because she claimed that the victim's ghost had appeared to her with information that she believed would compromise her neutrality.

"I have a gift of being an intuitive and medium," she wrote. "I can describe it as the ability to see, hear, feel, sense those that have died or whom are about to be born."

"Last night the deceased presented himself to me and made me feel what he went through as he was being killed, the intensity of his injuries, and the location of his wounds."

In the letter she went on to explain that she was not asking the judge to believe in the paranormal but had felt it necessary to express how this experience had affected her mentally and physically.

"It was, and never has been, my intention to retract my ability to fulfil the juror role or come into court with a bias, but at this point I feel I can no longer act as a member of this jury fairly," she wrote.

Following a counsel consultation, Poelman agreed and opted to excuse her from jury duty.

Source: Calgary Herald | Comments (28)

Tags: Ghost, Trial, Judge, Jury

Comment icon #19 Posted by Farmer77 on 19 June, 2016, 14:46
Its already started: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
Comment icon #20 Posted by ChaosRose on 19 June, 2016, 15:35
I'm not sure what difference that makes. It's people believing in things without hard evidence. And outrageous things, like an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do (miss you, George Carlin). Folks have claimed to see Jesus, Mary, etc. Have all sorts of visions, experiences. If she claimed Jesus visited her and told her the accused was guilty, would she be sane then? A person can believe anything, religiously. Just like some people believe there are angels who can visit or protect them, this lady believes there are spirits. For all you know, it could be a part of her religion.... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Forever Cursed on 20 June, 2016, 17:25
Now how do they know ?  Are they just assuming that they are who they think they are , or is it like bugles blaring and a big announcement before they make an appearance ?  I feel kind of cheated on the whole story now ..
Comment icon #22 Posted by Podo on 20 June, 2016, 21:53
The last time I got called to jury duty, I just politely asked to be excused because it was during my University exam period and I didn't want to miss any studying time (which was all 100% true). I was let off within 12 hours.
Comment icon #23 Posted by ChaosRose on 21 June, 2016, 19:19
I have to imagine that would be on a case by case basis. I wouldn't be surprised if some people heard trumpets (which brings Red State to mind).
Comment icon #24 Posted by SgtTechHead on 5 July, 2016, 2:42
I was ejected from jury duty by simply stating my occupation when asked.  I'm an IT Consultant by trade.  I'm guessing the lawyers believed they couldn't convince a person in such a logical vocation.  Can't twist/spin those facts when they are in fact, not facts, or the least bit logical...
Comment icon #25 Posted by Likely Guy on 5 July, 2016, 4:07
If you're opted to be decided by judge or jury, go with the judge. "Those aren't my 'peers'. They're too stupid to get off jury duty." - might have been Mark Twain or Groucho Marx.
Comment icon #26 Posted by TruthSeeker_ on 5 July, 2016, 6:25
I have no problem in accepting the reality of mediumnistic abilities. Can't say for sure that's the case here though. We only have an anonymous personal experience. But one thing seems certain is that she no longer was impartial whatever happened to her.
Comment icon #27 Posted by curious nat on 14 July, 2016, 5:05
This could become a new caselaw lol.
Comment icon #28 Posted by noppohn on 6 August, 2016, 12:49
you have to be mentally competent to serve on a jury,she was clever,she ruled herself out.

Study shows cats can be right or left-pawed
1-22-2018
It's not only humans who favor one hand over the other - cats seem to share this preference as well.
Man dies after dog accidentally shoots him
1-22-2018
An experienced hunter from Russia has died in a freak accident involving one of his own hunting dogs.
Scientists make tractor beam breakthrough
1-22-2018
An acoustic tractor beam could make it possible to levitate large objects within the not-too-distant future.
Weather blamed for 200,000 antelope deaths
1-21-2018
Scientists may have finally determined what caused vast numbers of saiga antelopes to die back in 2015.
Brian Cox talks to Buzz Aldrin
Posted 1-18-2018 | 1 comment
Professor Brian Cox discusses space travel with legendary astronaut Buzz Aldrin.

Typing vs handwriting
Posted 1-16-2018 | 2 comments
Is typing on a computer better or worse for your memory then writing on paper ?

Can coding help avoid job automation ?
Posted 1-12-2018 | 0 comments
Taking up coding and technical skills to avoid automation may be counter-productive.

Dinosaur death match
Posted 1-8-2018 | 0 comments
A look at how various dinosaurs might have fared against the predators of their day.

Best records of 2017
Posted 1-4-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of the most bizarre and amazing world records of the last year.

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana

Mysterious Headlights
12-10-2017 | Morgan County, Alabama

Possibly a child ghost
12-10-2017 | Edgewater, Maryland

True story about black-eyed kids
12-10-2017 | Portland oregon

Alien or paranormal encounter ?
12-10-2017 | United States