Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Juror excused after visit from victim's ghost

Posted on Tuesday, 14 June, 2016 | Comment icon 28 comments

The paranormal encounter left the juror unable to proceed with the trial. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A juror for a murder trial in Canada wrote to the judge after the victim's spirit appeared to her.
In a letter sent to Justice Glen Poelman of the Court of Queen’s Bench, the unnamed juror asked to be dismissed from the Lukas Strasser-Hird homicide trial because she claimed that the victim's ghost had appeared to her with information that she believed would compromise her neutrality.

"I have a gift of being an intuitive and medium," she wrote. "I can describe it as the ability to see, hear, feel, sense those that have died or whom are about to be born."

"Last night the deceased presented himself to me and made me feel what he went through as he was being killed, the intensity of his injuries, and the location of his wounds."

In the letter she went on to explain that she was not asking the judge to believe in the paranormal but had felt it necessary to express how this experience had affected her mentally and physically.

"It was, and never has been, my intention to retract my ability to fulfil the juror role or come into court with a bias, but at this point I feel I can no longer act as a member of this jury fairly," she wrote.

Following a counsel consultation, Poelman agreed and opted to excuse her from jury duty.

Source: Calgary Herald | Comments (28)

Tags: Ghost, Trial, Judge, Jury

Comment icon #19 Posted by Farmer77 on 19 June, 2016, 14:46
Its already started: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
Comment icon #20 Posted by ChaosRose on 19 June, 2016, 15:35
I'm not sure what difference that makes. It's people believing in things without hard evidence. And outrageous things, like an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do (miss you, George Carlin). Folks have claimed to see Jesus, Mary, etc. Have all sorts of visions, experiences. If she claimed Jesus visited her and told her the accused was guilty, would she be sane then? A person can believe anything, religiously. Just like some people believe there are angels who can visit or protect them, this lady believes there are spirits. For all you know, it could be a part of her religion.... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by Forever Cursed on 20 June, 2016, 17:25
Now how do they know ?  Are they just assuming that they are who they think they are , or is it like bugles blaring and a big announcement before they make an appearance ?  I feel kind of cheated on the whole story now ..
Comment icon #22 Posted by Podo on 20 June, 2016, 21:53
The last time I got called to jury duty, I just politely asked to be excused because it was during my University exam period and I didn't want to miss any studying time (which was all 100% true). I was let off within 12 hours.
Comment icon #23 Posted by ChaosRose on 21 June, 2016, 19:19
I have to imagine that would be on a case by case basis. I wouldn't be surprised if some people heard trumpets (which brings Red State to mind).
Comment icon #24 Posted by SgtTechHead on 5 July, 2016, 2:42
I was ejected from jury duty by simply stating my occupation when asked.  I'm an IT Consultant by trade.  I'm guessing the lawyers believed they couldn't convince a person in such a logical vocation.  Can't twist/spin those facts when they are in fact, not facts, or the least bit logical...
Comment icon #25 Posted by Likely Guy on 5 July, 2016, 4:07
If you're opted to be decided by judge or jury, go with the judge. "Those aren't my 'peers'. They're too stupid to get off jury duty." - might have been Mark Twain or Groucho Marx.
Comment icon #26 Posted by TruthSeeker_ on 5 July, 2016, 6:25
I have no problem in accepting the reality of mediumnistic abilities. Can't say for sure that's the case here though. We only have an anonymous personal experience. But one thing seems certain is that she no longer was impartial whatever happened to her.
Comment icon #27 Posted by curious nat on 14 July, 2016, 5:05
This could become a new caselaw lol.
Comment icon #28 Posted by noppohn on 6 August, 2016, 12:49
you have to be mentally competent to serve on a jury,she was clever,she ruled herself out.

Are black holes actually colliding wormholes?
6-18-2018
Scientists have put forward the possibility that what we think of as a black hole may be something else entirely.
Giant invasive plant is spreading across the US
6-18-2018
Scientists have revealed that giant hogweed has spread to Virginia and can now be found in at least eight US states.
Man spends three days buried beneath a road
6-18-2018
Performance artist Mike Parr has emerged after spending 72 hours buried within a coffin-like box.
A trip to the ISS will cost you $55 million
6-17-2018
Space tourism firm Axiom Space is offering people the opportunity to spend ten days aboard the space station.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 0 comments
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA