Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Man quits job so that he can play Pokemon Go

Posted on Sunday, 17 July, 2016 | Comment icon 33 comments

The app has proven to be a huge hit for Nintendo. Image Credit: YouTube / Pokemon Go Trailer / Nintendo
Tom Currie decided to resign from his job to give him more time to engage in the latest Pokemon craze.
Nintendo's first foray in to the mobile app market has certainly proven a success - Pokemon Go now has more active users than Twitter and has netted so much revenue for the long-lived video game company that it has added billions to Nintendo's share prices.

If you live in a country where the game is available you will have likely seen at least one person wandering around in their ongoing efforts to catch 'em all, but for one man in new Zealand, the desire to hunt down every Pokemon became so overwhelming that he actually quit his job.

Tom Currie used to work as a barista and bartender at a seaside restaurant before throwing in the towel so that he could travel around the country tracking down the digital creatures on his phone.

To his surprise his story soon went viral and before long everyone had heard of his endeavours.

"When I resigned, I didn't tell my manager I was going out into the world to hunt Pokemon," he said. "But after my story got picked up I gave him a courtesy call to update him just in case the media contacted him. I got an absolutely lovely response - 'Good on you Tom. It is really funny. I hope everything is OK. Have fun for your Pokemon trip.'"

So far he has managed to catch 91 out of the 151 Pokemon that can be found in the game.

"I get to walk around and explore towns I've never been to," he said. "I have been meeting heaps of people, tourists travelling the country and other Pokemon trainers at the small (sometimes huge) public gatherings."

It looks like augmented reality Pokemon hunting, far from being a fad, is here to stay.

Source: BBC News | Comments (33)

Tags: Pokemon

Comment icon #24 Posted by Habitat on 18 July, 2016, 3:54
There is billions being made from the app apparently.
Comment icon #25 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 18 July, 2016, 3:59
There, fixed it for you.  And that life requires the help of others for no good reason.  So, that's not much of a life.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Thorvir Hrothgaard on 18 July, 2016, 4:01
The thing is, this complete and utter effing idiot is becoming a leach over this game by choice.  It's insulting to those of us that are disabled and aren't able to work, the nerve of this worthless bag of crap taking his life for granted like that.
Comment icon #27 Posted by TruthSeeker_ on 18 July, 2016, 5:14
In the end, it's his parent's decision to support him or not for the adventure. They could have said no. But his dad seems very supportive. Plus, it's not like he's planning to go on this trip for the rest of his life. ''Tom says he will go back to work once his Pokemon adventure comes to an end. "When I finish the trip and get back to Auckland, I will be looking for work and working on my new business.'' http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36814165/man-in-new-zealand-quits-his-job-to-play-pokemon-go-full-time
Comment icon #28 Posted by Ryu on 18 July, 2016, 13:16
Oh-Ho! That is rich! So at what point will he decide that this "adventure" will end? In 20 years perhaps? After that what will he have to show for it once he decides to be an adult and find employment? Telling a prospective employer that you spent x-amount of months/years pretending to travel just so you can collect a bunch of imaginary things? Wow, really impressive there. Gonna make a great worker. What is going to stop him from quitting another job so he can claim he wants to "travel" just so he has another excuse to play some other game and be a leech again? His parents are fools for suppo... [More]
Comment icon #29 Posted by Nuclear Wessel on 18 July, 2016, 15:17
Well, that is an action that is deserving of the title "cringeworthy".
Comment icon #30 Posted by Gromdor on 20 July, 2016, 20:49
Well, his travels won't include Saudi Arabia it seems.  They just renewed a Fatwa against Pokémon: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/07/20/top-saudi-clerics-ban-pokemon-go/87330916/
Comment icon #31 Posted by littlewallflower on 22 July, 2016, 16:10
Some people are taking this way too far.
Comment icon #32 Posted by aquatus1 on 22 July, 2016, 16:21
Meh.  I've quite jobs for worse reasons. Of course, I've always tried to pay my own way, but I admit, there have been times I did freeload more than I should have.
Comment icon #33 Posted by DieChecker on 23 July, 2016, 9:03
? To be a Poke'mon Master is his destiny...... ? ? ? ?

6208898

Are black holes actually colliding wormholes?
6-18-2018
Scientists have put forward the possibility that what we think of as a black hole may be something else entirely.
Giant invasive plant is spreading across the US
6-18-2018
Scientists have revealed that giant hogweed has spread to Virginia and can now be found in at least eight US states.
Man spends three days buried beneath a road
6-18-2018
Performance artist Mike Parr has emerged after spending 72 hours buried within a coffin-like box.
A trip to the ISS will cost you $55 million
6-17-2018
Space tourism firm Axiom Space is offering people the opportunity to spend ten days aboard the space station.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 0 comments
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA