We are now on Patreon! Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site.

Sunday, November 28, 2021
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Bizarre > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )
Bizarre

Uri Geller apologizes for Pokemon lawsuit

November 30, 2020 | Comment icon 8 comments

Geller has had a change of heart. Image Credit: CC 3.0 Aquarius2000
The spoon bending Israeli had previously sued Nintendo for their use of a Pokemon that was inspired by him.
Back in the year 2000, Uri Geller - the man who made a name for himself bending spoons using his alleged psychic powers - sued Nintendo over its use of Kadabra, a spoon-weilding monster that was part of the insanely popular Pokemon franchise.

Aside from the fact that the creature was holding a spoon, its name in Japanese is written as Yungerer or Yungeller, which Geller argued was an obvious reference to him.

"Nintendo turned me into an evil, occult Pokemon character," he said at the time. "Nintendo stole my identity by using my name and my signature image."

The Israeli spoon bender ultimately won the case, which meant that the creature could no longer be used on trading cards.
Now however, Geller seems to have had a complete change of heart as evidenced by a letter he has written to Nintendo granting them permission to use the character again.

"I am truly sorry for what I did 20 years ago," he Tweeted. "Kids and grownups I am releasing the ban. It's now all up to #Nintendo to bring my #kadabra #pokemon card back."

"It will probably be one of the rarest cards now! Much energy and love to all!"

According to Geller, it was the sheer number of letters from fans asking to have Kadabra reinstated that compelled him to write to Nintendo to make it happen.

Whether the spoon-wielding pocket monster will actually make a comeback however remains unclear.

Source: Kotaku.com | Comments (8)

Unexplained Mysteries is now on Patreon!

Click here to learn more about how you can help support the site and gain access to a range of perks including a subscriber badge, ad-free browsing, an exclusive weekly newsletter, sneak peaks of upcoming features and more.
24 / 25
We are 96% of the way to our second Patreon subscriber target - thank you!
Comment icon #1 Posted by quiXilver 1 year ago
How does one remain civil and on topic with a topic such as this... i wonder. oh wait... i get it... *leaves silently
Comment icon #2 Posted by ant0n 1 year ago
That individual has never been my cup of tea (with no spoon).
Comment icon #3 Posted by ChrLzs 1 year ago
And Israel apologises for Uri Geller. I guess he does have a purpose as showing how easy it is to fool even quite intelligent folks with some truly naff tricks and fakery.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats 1 year ago
To be fair - the Japanese name of the Mon was a direct reference to his name and he was covered in what could easily be interpreted as Nazi imagery (the lightning bolt SS of rhe SS). Ican see how he might get antsy at the allusions.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Trihalo42 12 months ago
For those who missed it, Geller was part of some declassified CIA documents released under a Freedom of Information act. Was in the news for about a week. Do a search for CIA declassified Uri Geller, it's on the cia.gov site. They did testing in a controlled laboratory setting and stated, "As a result of Geller's success in this experimental period, we consider that he has demonstrated his paranormal perceptual ability in a convincing and unambiguous manner." Skeptics will likely say it's propaganda to scare the Russians.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Rlyeh 12 months ago
Geller's fans still clinging to the past.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Rlyeh 12 months ago
They did no such thing https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2017/may/09/cia-uri-geller-video/
Comment icon #8 Posted by ChrLzs 12 months ago
Yup, that would be ME. And given that I took a great deal of interest in researching Geller's claims many years back, I'm surprised I missed anything - I did see some CIA documents... Umm, NO, THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. If we do that you'll just claim "oh no, that's not the one, look harder". We weren't born yesterday.. So you will either provide a link, or admit you are working on your memory. One or the other. Who, exactly said that? An expert on magic tricks? A CIA operative? Someone who wrote a letter to the CIA? Someone familiar with REAL 'controls' and how to stop cheating? If it's... [More]