Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Long-lost 1890s HG Wells ghost story revealed

Posted on Saturday, 26 November, 2016 | Comment icon 7 comments

HG Wells in 1890. Image Credit: Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science
The man behind 'The Time Machine' and other literary classics also wrote an unpublished ghost story.
Some of the 19th century author's best known works include 'The War of the Worlds', 'The Invisible Man', and 'The Island of Doctor Moreau', but beyond his most famous titles there also lies an unseen gem hidden within a large archive of his manuscripts at the University of Illinois.

Discovered by Andrew Gulli, editor of the Strand, the new story, which is entitled 'The Haunted Ceiling', is a macabre tale involving strange activities occurring at an old house.

"Initially, from the titles of the manuscripts, I thought I happened upon lots of unpublished works, but those thousands of pages were narrowed down to this delightful story," said Gulli.

The beginning of the story reads:

"Don't you see it?" he said.
"See what?"
"The - thing. The woman."
I shook my head and looked at him.
"All right then," he said abruptly. "Don't see it!"

The full story is due to be published this week in the Strand magazine.

Source: The Guardian | Comments (7)

Tags: HG Wells, Ghost Story

Comment icon #1 Posted by Rofflaren on 26 November, 2016, 12:46
Awesome... Will definately buy it when it gets published
Comment icon #2 Posted by brlesq1 on 27 November, 2016, 15:48
Sounds like a must-buy to me...
Comment icon #3 Posted by kobolds on 30 November, 2016, 16:40
maybe .. , I never read any horror/haunted/ghost stories (non science fiction) written by HG Wells. I didn't even know he wrote some until now.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Mark56 on 17 December, 2016, 4:35
Talk about a man ahead of his time. He wasn't a writer , he was a prophet.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Kismit on 17 December, 2016, 5:51
Love the use of narative in that first line. no good story should ever start at the begining.
Comment icon #6 Posted by hswells on 26 December, 2016, 2:25
I found H.G Wells every stories quite fascinating. I don't konw where his imagination come from, it seems he has almost same and identical imagination as me. that is why my english name is wellsand first nameinitial is HS.
Comment icon #7 Posted by highdesert50 on 28 February, 2017, 4:08
Well worth the short read. Wells characteristically involves the reader and then encourages the reader to come to a personal conclusion.

Did a mystic predict Putin's rise to power ?
During a meeting in 1979, blind mystic Baba Vanga allegedly predicted that Putin would 'rule the world'.
New study hints at 'Oumuamua's origins
Researchers believe that it is very likely that the interstellar asteroid came from a binary star system.
Ghostly figure filmed aboard the HMS Victory
Tony Ferguson had been visiting the historic vessel in Portsmouth when he caught something strange on film.
Giant yellow inflatable duck goes missing
A swimming club in Australia has appealed for ships to keep a look out for its recently escaped mascot.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA