Thursday, February 22, 2018

'Alien' insect is unlike any ever seen before

Posted on Monday, 30 January, 2017 | Comment icon 13 comments

The new insect is certainly unique. Image Credit: YouTube / Oregon State University
The find is so unusual that it has had to be assigned to a whole new branch of the insect family tree.
The alien-looking insect, which is believed to date back over 100 million years, was discovered perfectly preserved within a piece of amber that had been unearthed by miners in Myanmar.

"This insect has a number of features that just don't match those of any other insect species that I know," said Professor George Poinar from Oregon State University.

"With its long neck, big eyes and strange oblong head, I thought it resembled E.T. I even made a Halloween mask that resembled the head of this insect. But when I wore the mask when trick-or-treaters came by, it scared the little kids so much I took it off."

There are 31 existing orders under which all known insect species are catalogued, but now because this new insect - Aethiocarenus burmanicus - doesn't appear to fit under any of them, an entirely new order ( Aethiocarenodea ) has had to be established in order to categorize it.

A more detailed look at the discovery and analysis of the new species can be viewed below.

Source: Christian Science Monitor | Comments (13)

Tags: Insect, Amber

Comment icon #4 Posted by White Unicorn on 30 January, 2017, 15:24
Awesome find it's so complete and a perfect specimen to view. Looks a bit different than modern ants so it can be considered new species. However, I always laugh when everything found uses alien in headline for click bait.
Comment icon #5 Posted by Dyna on 30 January, 2017, 18:06
Body and pinchers closer to an earwig then to and ant but the big eyes are like the praying mantis. Combo bug!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Crystal Rose on 30 January, 2017, 19:13
Yep it looks like a combination of ant and an ear wig.
Comment icon #7 Posted by fred_mc on 30 January, 2017, 20:44
It looks like an ant to me too.
Comment icon #8 Posted by taniwha on 31 January, 2017, 10:38
But not quick enough to escape the gum... But didnt see the gum... Now, if only that gland could repel the gum... Really?...Ever seen an ant? My guess... Spoiler Stick insect
Comment icon #9 Posted by DieChecker on 31 January, 2017, 19:43
That was my first thought also. Cool find. Lots of stuff found in amber in SE Asia.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Athena1979 on 1 February, 2017, 23:33
He should sell the mask...
Comment icon #11 Posted by newbloodmoon on 3 February, 2017, 6:35
Looks like an ant with an earwig pinchy butt to me. The eyes remind me of the bulbous compond eyes I have seen on a prehistoric fish or water crustacion (?). I am sure someone here might know what I'm talking about and give it a name. It's merely eluding me at the moment.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Carnoferox on 3 February, 2017, 14:33
I think you might be thinking of trilobites.
Comment icon #13 Posted by oldrover on 4 February, 2017, 15:04
Or perhaps an anomalicaris, or maybe an opabinia. Why does the article only show the head half of the animal? What's down the other end they think we need sheltering from?

Transplant patient ends up with two hearts
2-22-2018
A man in India unexpectedly underwent a rare operation that has left him with two working, beating hearts.
NASA reveals Phoenix lander's dusty grave
2-22-2018
A new image of the long-dead Phoenix lander on Mars has shown that it has become coated in a layer of dust.
How did the Egyptians align the Great Pyramid?
2-21-2018
Archaeologist and engineer Glen Dash has worked out how such a precise alignment was achieved.
Pair of ancient Roman boxing gloves unearthed
2-21-2018
The well-preserved gloves were discovered during the excavation of a Roman fort on Hadrian's Wall.
The real story of Galileo
Posted 2-20-2018 | 0 comments
Exactly why was legendary astronomer Galileo Galilei convicted of heresy ?

Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana