Monday, March 1, 2021

Are cats equally as intelligent as dogs ?

Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 | Comment icon 53 comments

Dogs may not be more intelligent than cats after all. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Scientists in Japan have shown that cats are just as good at memory tests as their canine counterparts.
The study, which involved 49 domestic cats, focused on episodic memory - the ability to recall the details of specific past events. Dogs were previously found to be able to recall the actions of their owners in a similar study conducted by scientists in Hungary last year.

During the experiment, the researchers found that cats also possessed this ability after they successfully recalled which bowl they had eaten out of after a fifteen-minute interval.

There was also evidence to suggest that cats, like dogs, can respond to human gestures, facial expressions and emotions.
"An interesting speculation is that they may enjoy actively recalling memories of their experience like humans," said psychologist Saho Takagi from Kyoto University.

"Episodic memory is viewed as being related to introspective function of the mind. Our study may imply a type of consciousness in cats."

"Understanding cats more deeply helps to establish better cat-human relationships."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (53)

Tags: Cats, Dogs

Comment icon #44 Posted by LV-426 on 7 February, 2017, 22:23
I have to admit, I'm biased towards dogs, but I do think they are deservedly known as "man's best friend" for good reason. I don't know if this is Geo-blocked outside the U.K., but it's well worth a watch; amazing facts and heart-warming stories: Secret Life of Dogs - Series 2 - Episode 1 YouTube teaser for Season 1:
Comment icon #45 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 February, 2017, 22:30
Cant do it man. Animal shows and movies make me cry like a baby. If you knew the things ive done that would be really freaking  hilarious. But yeah cant do it
Comment icon #46 Posted by LV-426 on 7 February, 2017, 22:36
I hear ya! There's a section with a disabled little girl being helped to walk by her much loved pal, and even I had to pretend I had something in my eye
Comment icon #47 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:27
This is one of those joke threads , right ?
Comment icon #48 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:30
  Here is another joke  ;  " News Flash !     Cat saves family from burning house !  "     (Its one of our dog jokes   )
Comment icon #49 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:49
Together ,  Human, Dog and Cattle enabled development, hunting, gathering, settlement, agriculture .... civilisation  ! Dog is companion of mankind , the earliest ures tell us ,that Dog accompanies one of the six 'Divine Sparks'  -  ' Vohu Manah '  ( Good Purpose , God Mind, Good Thought  )   on which friendships and  good society depends    Now .... if any cats would care to debate archaeotheology with me , I would be more than happy         ~  Be wared though ....  I have  notes  and references .... lots of 'em !
Comment icon #50 Posted by Stiff on 8 February, 2017, 11:45
Which reminds me of the three legged pig joke
Comment icon #51 Posted by MWoo7 on 11 February, 2017, 3:11
aah hense your logo/persona/avatar back to earth .... GLAD! you're into history etc.     Oh, I think someone cleaned it up, thought he had a shotgun too! oh wellz.
Comment icon #52 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2017, 4:50
I love dogs. Don't get me wrong, but dogs are loyal. That means they haven't figured us out yet.
Comment icon #53 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2017, 4:57
The fact that a cat isn't willing to do those things for you indicates their higher intelligence level.

AI learns how to play old platform games
2-28-2021
New computer algorithms designed to beat old 80s platformers could help robots navigate your home.
Woman captures 'small humanoid' on camera
2-28-2021
Mellisa Braham had been out walking her dog last week when she photographed something very strange.
Wild sheep with 78-pound coat is finally shorn
2-27-2021
A very overgrown sheep named Baarack has been rescued after being found by a member of the public.
Gargantuan moth is larger than woman's hand
2-27-2021
A woman in Australia recently captured photographs of a moth so huge that it exceeded the size of her hand.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball