Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Are cats equally as intelligent as dogs ?

Posted on Thursday, 26 January, 2017 | Comment icon 54 comments

Dogs may not be more intelligent than cats after all. Image Credit: sxc.hu
Scientists in Japan have shown that cats are just as good at memory tests as their canine counterparts.
The study, which involved 49 domestic cats, focused on episodic memory - the ability to recall the details of specific past events. Dogs were previously found to be able to recall the actions of their owners in a similar study conducted by scientists in Hungary last year.

During the experiment, the researchers found that cats also possessed this ability after they successfully recalled which bowl they had eaten out of after a fifteen-minute interval.

There was also evidence to suggest that cats, like dogs, can respond to human gestures, facial expressions and emotions.

"An interesting speculation is that they may enjoy actively recalling memories of their experience like humans," said psychologist Saho Takagi from Kyoto University.

"Episodic memory is viewed as being related to introspective function of the mind. Our study may imply a type of consciousness in cats."

"Understanding cats more deeply helps to establish better cat-human relationships."

Source: Telegraph | Comments (54)

Tags: Cats, Dogs

Comment icon #45 Posted by LV-426 on 7 February, 2017, 22:23
I have to admit, I'm biased towards dogs, but I do think they are deservedly known as "man's best friend" for good reason. I don't know if this is Geo-blocked outside the U.K., but it's well worth a watch; amazing facts and heart-warming stories: Secret Life of Dogs - Series 2 - Episode 1 YouTube teaser for Season 1:
Comment icon #46 Posted by Farmer77 on 7 February, 2017, 22:30
Cant do it man. Animal shows and movies make me cry like a baby. If you knew the things ive done that would be really freaking hilarious. But yeah cant do it
Comment icon #47 Posted by LV-426 on 7 February, 2017, 22:36
I hear ya! There's a section with a disabled little girl being helped to walk by her much loved pal, and even I had to pretend I had something in my eye
Comment icon #48 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:27
This is one of those joke threads , right ?
Comment icon #49 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:30
Here is another joke ; " News Flash ! Cat saves family from burning house ! " (Its one of our dog jokes )
Comment icon #50 Posted by back to earth on 8 February, 2017, 5:49
Together , Human, Dog and Cattle enabled development, hunting, gathering, settlement, agriculture .... civilisation ! Dogis companion of mankind , the earliest ures tell us ,that Dog accompanies one of the six 'Divine Sparks' - 'Vohu Manah ' ( Good Purpose , God Mind, Good Thought ) on which friendships and good society depends Now .... if any cats would care to debate archaeotheology with me , I would be more than happy ~ Be wared though .... I have notes and references .... lots of 'em !
Comment icon #51 Posted by Stiff on 8 February, 2017, 11:45
Which reminds me of the three legged pig joke
Comment icon #52 Posted by MWoo7 on 11 February, 2017, 3:11
aah hense your logo/persona/avatar back to earth .... GLAD! you're into history etc. Oh, I think someone cleaned it up, thought he had a shotgun too! oh wellz.
Comment icon #53 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2017, 4:50
I love dogs. Don't get me wrong, but dogs are loyal. That means they haven't figured us out yet.
Comment icon #54 Posted by ChaosRose on 11 February, 2017, 4:57
The fact that a cat isn't willing to do those things for you indicates their higher intelligence level.

Did a mystic predict Putin's rise to power ?
During a meeting in 1979, blind mystic Baba Vanga allegedly predicted that Putin would 'rule the world'.
New study hints at 'Oumuamua's origins
Researchers believe that it is very likely that the interstellar asteroid came from a binary star system.
Ghostly figure filmed aboard the HMS Victory
Tony Ferguson had been visiting the historic vessel in Portsmouth when he caught something strange on film.
Giant yellow inflatable duck goes missing
A swimming club in Australia has appealed for ships to keep a look out for its recently escaped mascot.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA