Monday, February 19, 2018

Olympian runs a mile every day for 52 years

Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments

Imagine running every day of every month of every year for over five decades. Image Credit: US Navy
Former Olympic runner Ron Hill has taken some time off after his incredible 52-year running streak.
Hill, who is now 78, competed in the Tokyo Olympics in 1964, the Munich Olympics in 1972 and has run at least one mile every day, rain or shine, for over 52 years non-stop.

His achievements are numerous, with several marathon running titles to his name and an MBE. In 1970 he became the first British runner ever to win the Boston Marathon.

Sadly though, his incredible record-breaking mile-a-day running streak has finally come to a close following a bout of ill-health which began when he suffered chest pains during his daily run.

"After 400m my heart started to hurt and by the time I got to the one mile point I thought I was going to die," he said. "I was in such pain and I thought 'no, hang on, this isn't going anywhere at the moment', and really in respect of my wife, two sons and friends I need to stop this."

Hill's respite from running is certainly well-earned. When he reached the 50-year milestone it was calculated that he had run a total of 160,000 miles - that's six times around the entire planet.

Source: BBC News | Comments (7)

Tags: Ron Hill, Running

Comment icon #1 Posted by BadChadB33 on 31 January, 2017, 18:27
That's an awesome feat!! I applaud him!
Comment icon #2 Posted by LV-426 on 31 January, 2017, 18:38
Comment icon #3 Posted by Eldorado on 31 January, 2017, 19:05
He has awesome feet.
Comment icon #4 Posted by coolguy on 1 February, 2017, 2:51
Runing a mile every day for 52 years thats crazy, props to him if i ran 20 feet i would die
Comment icon #5 Posted by Still Waters on 1 February, 2017, 10:33
I hope not!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Eldorado on 1 February, 2017, 13:34
I doubt he would. I've seen my 80yr-old disabled mother sprint 20ft into her living room and leap onto her orthopaedic chair on hearing the Eastenders theme tune.
Comment icon #7 Posted by simplybill on 1 February, 2017, 23:30
Wow, and I think I'mdoing good if I do laundry once a week.

Hunt for Earth 2.0 yields 95 new exoplanets
2-18-2018
A renewed hunt for Earth-like worlds has yielded a haul of 95 previously undiscovered extrasolar planets.
Scientists create human-sheep hybrid embryos
2-18-2018
The research aims to solve donor organ shortages by making it possible to grow human organs inside sheep.
Woman sues California over Bigfoot sighting
2-18-2018
Claudia Ackley has taken it upon herself to sue the state for refusing to acknowledge the existence of Bigfoot.
Man gets trapped down a sewer for three days
2-17-2018
The unfortunate man spent several days scrambling around the sewerage system looking for a way out.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana