Saturday, March 17, 2018

Police film 15 sharks near paddle-boarders

Posted on Friday, 12 May, 2017 | Comment icon 22 comments

Sharks are particularly numerous along the Californian coast. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Elias Levy
A police helicopter moved in to warn the group who had unwittingly ended up surrounded by great whites.
Footage of the close encounter, which was posted by the Orange County Sheriff's Department, shows how near the oblivious paddle-boarders were to becoming a shark's dinner.

"You are paddle-boarding next to approximately 15 great white sharks," Deputy Brian Stockbridge shouted over the loudspeaker. "They are advising you exit the water in a calm manner."

The Southern California coast is a particularly bad place for sharks, especially at this time of year.

Only last month, a woman was badly wounded after being bitten off San Onofre State Beach. Another woman was also bitten by a 10ft shark last year while swimming off Corona del Mar.

Fortunately in this case though the paddle-boarders all made it safely back to dry land.

Source: Telegraph | Comments (22)

Tags: Shark, California

Comment icon #13 Posted by Claire. on 12 May, 2017, 21:41
How cute! A group of adorable great white babies keeping safe in shallow waters and looking for a few stingrays to snack on.
Comment icon #14 Posted by ChaosRose on 13 May, 2017, 0:23
Yeah, that's a whole lotta nope right there. Nope to ever being past my ankles again.
Comment icon #15 Posted by DanL on 14 May, 2017, 0:32
LOL, small sharks, those under 7', live in the shallows and in the surf areas especially. I had a friend that was in the coast guard and they patrolled the beaches around Galveston in helicopters. He had pictures of the beaches and in many of them there were as many sharks in the surf as there were swimmers and on holidays that is a LOT of people and sharks. YET, shark bites are extremely rare. In all truth you are more likely to die from a lightning strike on a beach than a shark bite. About the only time anyone had a problem with a shark was when a fisherman tied his stringer to his belt and... [More]
Comment icon #16 Posted by trevorhbj on 14 May, 2017, 0:45
They say don't swim with sharks but I can't deny those paddle boards sure look kick a**. I remember when we used to run with our boards and skid out as far as we could before a wave would knock us down. "Shark!" we'd yell if someone slid into one.They were cool though.
Comment icon #17 Posted by DanL on 14 May, 2017, 2:48
I backed into a 6' or 7' sand shark one night when I was surf fishing. I had just cast and was going back to the beach. It was sort of a draw exactly who was most upset but when he slapped me in the butt with his tail I did a good imitation of Jesus walking on the water! I can cast over a hundred yards but when I stopped running my bait was on the beach. In general sharks are pretty nice critters. Cows kill more people than sharks.
Comment icon #18 Posted by BeastieRunner on 15 May, 2017, 17:08
Or was it more like a Looney Toons character?
Comment icon #19 Posted by WoIverine on 15 May, 2017, 17:52
Check this guy out: Now that's how it's done.
Comment icon #20 Posted by quiXilver on 15 May, 2017, 17:57
I've swum with thousands of sharks and never once been nervous around them, but backing into one? I would have veritably levitated out of that water... yikes! I've had a few intense encounters underwater. Like I said, I've swum with countless sharks and not felt threatened, but I still vividly recall encountering the menacing stare of one lone 'cuda in Cayman waters. That cuda stared at me and kept her nose pointed at me from the time I noticed her, until I was out of view... in those waters, visibility is about 100 meters, I gave her very, very wide berth and much respect. Pure menace seem... [More]
Comment icon #21 Posted by DanL on 15 May, 2017, 21:05
Like so many things, ignorance breeds fear and a little informationbrings interest and understanding.
Comment icon #22 Posted by third_eye on 15 May, 2017, 22:44
I think that's the rope ladder variation of Muhammad Ali's Rope a Dope ... ~

Plane in Russia drops three tons of gold bars
Bars worth up to $368 million rained down after the aircraft suffered damage during takeoff on Thursday.
Court rejects man's claim that he is not dead
A Romanian court has formally rejected Constantin Reliu's claim that he is actually very much alive.
Harpoon could drag satellites out of the sky
Airbus has been developing a new type of harpoon in an effort to reduce the build-up of space junk in orbit.
Hidden text found in 1,000-year-old hymn book
Scientists have found the writings of a 2nd-century Greek physician hidden beneath pages of religious text.
Why don't birds get frostbite ?
Posted 3-16-2018 | 0 comments
How do birds stop their legs from getting frostbitten during freezing temperatures ?
Most straws in a beard
Posted 3-15-2018 | 2 comments
Kyle Kozemchick stuck 215 straws in to his beard for this bizarre world record attempt.
Michio Kaku on asteroid mining
Posted 3-13-2018 | 1 comment
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku discusses the possibility of mining asteroids in space.
Fastest people in slow motion
Posted 3-12-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the world's fastest card thrower and an amazing fast draw world champion.
Baby elephant overcomes fear of water
Posted 3-11-2018 | 2 comments
After a near-death experience, this young elephant became terrified of the water.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA