Friday, April 27, 2018

$100K paranormal prize unclaimed 37 years on

Posted on Monday, 4 September, 2017 | Comment icon 324 comments

Providing proof that psychic abilities exist has proven notoriously challenging. Image Credit: sxc.hu
To date, The Australian Skeptics have yet to see conclusive proof of psychic or paranormal powers.
The Melbourne-based movement, which was founded back in 1980, has been offering the $100,000 prize to anyone who could reliably prove that they possess metaphysical capabilities.

"You get a lot of claims about people being able to read people's minds or heal people from a distance," said Terry Kelly, a member of Australian Skeptics Victoria.

"It actually has to be proven in the way that any other scientific claim would be proved."

Intriguingly, many of the movement's members are not actually psychologists or scientists but social workers, comedians, magicians and even professional gamblers.

Kelly, who is a social worker, says that he joined the movement two decades ago after seeing cases of grieving clients being taken advantage of by people claiming to have psychic powers.

"You had people who had lost a child going off to see clairvoyants, claiming the clairvoyant had spoken to their dead child," he said.

As for the prize, it is looking increasingly unlikely that it will ever be won by anyone.

Those contributing to the prize fund are also fairly certain that their money is secure.

"They're reasonably confident that they won't have to contribute, so it's not that big a risk as far as they're concerned," said Kelly.

Source: ABC.net.au | Comments (324)

Tags: The Australian Skeptics, Psychic

Comment icon #315 Posted by ChaosRose on 18 September, 2017, 2:26
Everyone knows it's supposed to be Ramen.
Comment icon #316 Posted by Aquila King on 18 September, 2017, 3:44
Never be afraid to share your opinions with others, no matter how outlandish they are. Just remember that someone once said in a meeting: "Let's make a movie about a tornado full of sharks."
Comment icon #317 Posted by ChrLzs on 18 September, 2017, 5:47
Well, from my point of view.. I know Sheldrake's 'work' rather well. I wouldn't call him a hoaxer, but Iwould call him a poor researcher, gullible, biased, and a collector of anecdotes (all of which he believes are accurate and unquestionable, apparently). Some time ago I offered to do a reasonably comprehensive appraisal/review of one of his books, and of course the obvious one is Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home. Note that I own a copy of this book(paid $2 on ebay!), so yes, I have read it, carefully ... Maybe now is the time to get off my lazy posterior and do that. I ... [More]
Comment icon #318 Posted by Merc14 on 18 September, 2017, 12:54
What is hilarious is you don't recognize one of your signature phrases. Doesn't matter, everyone else does and their opinion of you goes down even more with this silly response. If I cared enough about what you have to say I'd dig up all the times you made this stupid declaration but what would bethe point?
Comment icon #319 Posted by Aquila King on 18 September, 2017, 17:25
Sure, sounds good. Though I might suggest we open the topic up a little broader to encompass any scientists who go against the mainstream. I don't exactly know how it would be set up, but, oh well. We'll figure somethin' out. Although I will say I'm not a fan of long drawn out debates, because there's always an inevitable point one reaches where we both end up repeating the same talking points, and repeating myself is a bit of a pet-peeve of mine. I'm more of a say it one-an-done kinda guy.
Comment icon #320 Posted by michaelpast on 23 September, 2017, 9:06
as I've said..theres no need to prove your special ability for money. because your ability worth much more than the money. and proving it will actually harm you. thats common sense.
Comment icon #321 Posted by XenoFish on 23 September, 2017, 11:00
Then how do we or even they/you(?) know that you know if you have a 'special ability' if it can not be honestly validated? Intuitionis a psychological function that comes from the subconscious. I'm intuitive and my intuition revolves around people. It's about subconsciously noticing subtle body ques and making assessments of the person. Be they friend or threat.
Comment icon #322 Posted by XenoFish on 23 September, 2017, 11:03
Hey, "Show me the evidence".
Comment icon #323 Posted by Merc14 on 23 September, 2017, 16:29
Of course, common sense. Can I ask how it would harm you to use your special powers?
Comment icon #324 Posted by ChrLzs on 24 September, 2017, 10:26
Or to share it with humanity - what a load of utterly selfish mongrels they must be, to want to keepit to themselves. Oh wait, or could it be because they don't have the abilities they claim (perhaps even really think) they have, and would rather make lame one line posts pretending to be secwut superheroes.... Indeed, who cares about the money? Oh wait, that would be those who charge for their services, or run ad-supported YT channels.. And yes, one shouldn't be motivated by money - one should be thinking ofthe future of our planet and those who live upon it. Please re-read the first ... [More]

World's largest wind turbine to be 853ft tall
4-26-2018
The upcoming 12 megawatt wind power platform will be almost three times the height of the Statue of Liberty.
Star map update to feature 1.7 billion stars
4-26-2018
Astronomers from ESA's Gaia mission will tomorrow release the largest map of our galaxy ever created.
Fossil footprints hint at giant sloth chase
4-26-2018
New evidence has been discovered to suggest that our ancestors hunted down giant prehistoric sloths.
Was ancient 'hashtag' the first human symbol?
4-25-2018
Hashtag-like etchings found on a rock in South Africa's Blombos Cave are thought to be over 100,000 years old.
Could you survive a nuclear bomb ?
Posted 4-24-2018 | 0 comments
If someone dropped an atomic bomb on a city, what would be your chances of survival ?

What does space smell like ?
Posted 4-23-2018 | 0 comments
Does the vacuum of space actually smell of anything and if so, what ?

Why is US paper money green ?
Posted 4-22-2018 | 0 comments
Simon Whistler investigates why the color green was used when printing US bank notes.

Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA