Saturday, July 21, 2018

$100K paranormal prize unclaimed 37 years on

Posted on Monday, 4 September, 2017 | Comment icon 324 comments

Providing proof that psychic abilities exist has proven notoriously challenging. Image Credit: sxc.hu
To date, The Australian Skeptics have yet to see conclusive proof of psychic or paranormal powers.
The Melbourne-based movement, which was founded back in 1980, has been offering the $100,000 prize to anyone who could reliably prove that they possess metaphysical capabilities.

"You get a lot of claims about people being able to read people's minds or heal people from a distance," said Terry Kelly, a member of Australian Skeptics Victoria.

"It actually has to be proven in the way that any other scientific claim would be proved."

Intriguingly, many of the movement's members are not actually psychologists or scientists but social workers, comedians, magicians and even professional gamblers.

Kelly, who is a social worker, says that he joined the movement two decades ago after seeing cases of grieving clients being taken advantage of by people claiming to have psychic powers.

"You had people who had lost a child going off to see clairvoyants, claiming the clairvoyant had spoken to their dead child," he said.

As for the prize, it is looking increasingly unlikely that it will ever be won by anyone.

Those contributing to the prize fund are also fairly certain that their money is secure.

"They're reasonably confident that they won't have to contribute, so it's not that big a risk as far as they're concerned," said Kelly.

Source: ABC.net.au | Comments (324)

Tags: The Australian Skeptics, Psychic

Comment icon #315 Posted by ChaosRose on 18 September, 2017, 2:26
Everyone knows it's supposed to be Ramen.
Comment icon #316 Posted by Aquila King on 18 September, 2017, 3:44
Never be afraid to share your opinions with others, no matter how outlandish they are. Just remember that someone once said in a meeting: "Let's make a movie about a tornado full of sharks."
Comment icon #317 Posted by ChrLzs on 18 September, 2017, 5:47
Well, from my point of view.. I know Sheldrake's 'work' rather well.  I wouldn't call him a hoaxer, but I would call him a poor researcher, gullible, biased, and a collector of anecdotes (all of which he believes are accurate and unquestionable, apparently). Some time ago I offered to do a reasonably comprehensive appraisal/review of one of his books, and of course the obvious one is Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home.  Note that I own a copy of this book (paid $2 on ebay!), so yes, I have read it, carefully ...  Maybe now is the time to get off my lazy posterior and do that.  I ... [More]
Comment icon #318 Posted by Merc14 on 18 September, 2017, 12:54
What is hilarious is you don't recognize one of your signature phrases.  Doesn't matter, everyone else does and their opinion of you goes down even more with this silly response.   If I cared enough about what you have to say I'd dig up all the times you made this stupid declaration but what would be the point?
Comment icon #319 Posted by Aquila King on 18 September, 2017, 17:25
Sure, sounds good.   Though I might suggest we open the topic up a little broader to encompass any scientists who go against the mainstream. I don't exactly know how it would be set up, but, oh well.  We'll figure somethin' out. Although I will say I'm not a fan of long drawn out debates, because there's always an inevitable point one reaches where we both end up repeating the same talking points, and repeating myself is a bit of a pet-peeve of mine. I'm more of a say it one-an-done kinda guy.
Comment icon #320 Posted by michaelpast on 23 September, 2017, 9:06
as I've said..theres no need to prove your special ability for money. because your ability worth much more than the money. and proving it will actually harm you. thats common sense.
Comment icon #321 Posted by XenoFish on 23 September, 2017, 11:00
Then how do we or even they/you(?) know that you know if you have a 'special ability' if it can not be honestly validated?  Intuition is a psychological function that comes from the subconscious. I'm intuitive and my intuition revolves around people. It's about subconsciously noticing subtle body ques and making assessments of the person. Be they friend or threat.
Comment icon #322 Posted by XenoFish on 23 September, 2017, 11:03
Hey, "Show me the evidence".
Comment icon #323 Posted by Merc14 on 23 September, 2017, 16:29
Of course, common sense.  Can I ask how it would harm you to use your special powers?
Comment icon #324 Posted by ChrLzs on 24 September, 2017, 10:26
Or to share it with humanity - what a load of utterly selfish mongrels they must be, to want to keep it to themselves.   Oh wait, or could it be because they don't have the abilities they claim (perhaps even really think) they have, and would rather make lame one line posts pretending to be secwut superheroes....   Indeed, who cares about the money?  Oh wait, that would be those who charge for their services, or run ad-supported YT channels..  And yes, one shouldn't be motivated by money - one should be thinking of the future of our planet and those who live upon it.  Please re-read the first ... [More]

Neil Armstrong's collection to go up for auction
7-21-2018
A number of personal mementos Armstrong took with him to the Moon are set to go up for sale at auction.
Mystery buzzing plagues Barwell residents
7-21-2018
An aggravating background noise has been giving locals in Leicestershire sleepless nights for months.
ESA wants you to name its new Mars rover
7-21-2018
The European Space Agency is offering a prize to the person who manages to come up with the winning name.
New armored dinosaur species found in Utah
7-20-2018
With its armored plating and bony protrusions, this impressive dinosaur was well protected from predators.
Why do bandaids glow ?
Posted 7-19-2018 | 0 comments
Dianna Cowern investigates why some bandaids produce a blue glow when they are opened.

Spinning a record to pieces
Posted 7-15-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment with old vinyl records.

Pearlfish's gross hiding spot
Posted 7-8-2018 | 1 comment
A pearlfish finds a particularly unappealing place to hide on the ocean floor.

What jobs will flourish in the future ?
Posted 7-5-2018 | 2 comments
Theoretical physicist Michio Kaku predicts which jobs will be important in the future.

Skunked
Posted 7-1-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson meets a rather adorable skunk - but can he avoid getting sprayed ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA