Monday, August 10, 2020

Earth hit by strongest solar flare in 10 years

Posted on Thursday, 7 September, 2017 | Comment icon 62 comments

Sufficiently large solar flares can cause widespread disruption. Image Credit: NASA/Steele Hill
Two extremely powerful solar flares erupted from a large sunspot on the Sun's surface yesterday.
The two flares erupted approximately three hours apart with the second being the strongest recorded solar flare to have been observed in over a decade.

The flares were reported to have caused significant disruption to high-frequency radio signals with a "wide area of blackouts [and] loss of contact for up to an hour over [the] sunlit side of Earth."
Low frequency communication, which is used in navigation, was also disrupted for a short time.

"We are heading toward solar minimum, but the interesting thing about that is you can still have events, they're just not as frequent," said space weather scientist Rob Steenburgh.

"We're not having X-flares every day for a week, for instance - the activity is less frequent, but no less potentially strong. These kind of events are just part of living with a star."

Source: Space.com | Comments (62)

Tags: Solar Flares, Sun

Comment icon #53 Posted by Nzo on 13 September, 2017, 2:36
They dont call it the DEATH STAR for no reason. I am just saying.
Comment icon #54 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 13 September, 2017, 12:34
You do know the Deathstar is fictional don't you ?
Comment icon #55 Posted by Astra. on 13 September, 2017, 13:19
I see, so you were being serious ?
Comment icon #56 Posted by Nzo on 13 September, 2017, 15:49
There is no scientific research to back up what I am saying, so how can I possibly be serious? Yes I know that the Deathstar is fictional. Is'nt it amazing how similiar the death star is to our sun. Its huge and round and has sunspots that look like planet killing death rays. I wonder if G. Lucas actually knew about the sun and sunspots and if it influenced his creation of the death star? If, not it is extremely coincidental.
Comment icon #57 Posted by ziomek on 13 September, 2017, 20:04
Hmm
Comment icon #58 Posted by Astra. on 13 September, 2017, 21:39
Since folk here are not mind readers, and all we have is text to go by, sometimes it's worth adding an emoticon so at least others know whether you are being humorous or not...just sayin! ..
Comment icon #59 Posted by Nzo on 14 September, 2017, 6:15
I had no idea that people would take issue with me dissing the sun.  Which is a total surprise to me and makes me want to ask, what would have been your rebuttal had I been serious? I guess, maybe people still worship the sun? I have a line of thought that I amuse myself with from time to time. There are some(cannot remember where I read it, probably a religious studies course in university or science fiction novel) that think that the sun is sentient. God(RA) for lack of a better understanding.  I think to myself, if this were to be true and this sun is sentient like all the other stars in th... [More]
Comment icon #60 Posted by krone on 16 September, 2017, 19:39
Yes, I feel the same way when the news talks about a 'disruption' that, translated, means some flights were grounded for a couple of hours. Give me a break! Most of those flights are wholly unnecessary and the whole industry's doomed anyway, since we're on our last oil and no one's come up with an electric passenger jet. A couple of flights being grounded is going to seem like a joke in a couple of years' time.
Comment icon #61 Posted by krone on 16 September, 2017, 19:43
Not defending theology here but this is, i believe, the whole question that most religions were created to try and find an answer to. Whether one feels any of them have succeeded, and to which extent, is a whole other question.
Comment icon #62 Posted by pallidin on 17 September, 2017, 1:38
Good God you people are weird.

John Cleese on the possibility of life after death
8-10-2020
The 80-year-old comedy veteran is a keen proponent of the idea that existence does not simply end when we die.
Should lithium be added to our drinking water ?
8-10-2020
A new study suggests that adding the psychoactive chemical to water supplies could reduce suicide rates.
Reptile had a neck 3 times the length of its body
8-9-2020
Scientists have been studying how a prehistoric creature named Tanystropheus supported its insanely long neck.
Are we living in a giant deflated croissant ?
8-9-2020
Scientists have determined the most likely shape of the heliosphere which surrounds the solar system.
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball