Saturday, March 24, 2018

Britain's best UFO invasion hoax turns 50

Posted on Thursday, 7 September, 2017 | Comment icon 6 comments

The hoax managed to fool everyone. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Jason Rogers
Back in 1967, a group of students managed to pull off one of the most convincing UFO hoaxes in history.
The infamous stunt was masterminded by a group of young apprentices at Farnborough's Royal Aircraft Establishment (RAE) who all happened to share a love of science fiction.

To fool as many people as possible, they came up with a distinctly alien-like flying saucer design with no windows, doors or other recognizable features. Six fibreglass saucers were created in total, each packed with sound equipment so that they would make eerie, otherworldly noises.

"When you turned the saucers upside down, it flicked a switch and started a battery," said engineer Chris Southall. "We were putting them out in secret, in the middle of the night, in the early hours, and we didn't want them to make a noise until then."

"Only when we left, we turned them upside down and the noise started - and then we got away quick."

On the night in question, separate teams quietly placed the saucers at strategic locations across England. By the time they were discovered, the hoaxers had all returned to their hostel.

The whole country fell for the hoax hook, line and sinker. Even the police and armed forces attended the 'landing sites' to examine and retrieve the saucers for further investigation.

The 'invasion' managed to make major headline news both in the UK and abroad.

"The times we live in now are much harsher, and I don't think we could do it now," said Southall.

"We would end up in trouble."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: UFO, UK

Comment icon #1 Posted by Sweetpumper on 7 September, 2017, 17:17
Huh. Never heard of that one.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Gary Meadows on 7 September, 2017, 18:59
That makes two of us. How'd thathappen?
Comment icon #3 Posted by stereologist on 7 September, 2017, 20:02
My question is, does anyone still list this as a real event?
Comment icon #4 Posted by Bathtub on 14 September, 2017, 6:40
It certainly happened - see I was 13 at the time and remember that on the one hand, the public and the press in the UK were hungry for 'flying saucer' related stories, but also unsurprised when they turned out to be hoaxes. The incident predated my own serious interest in ufos by a year or two (though my late mother told me I was preoccupied by them from about age 6). I'm not surprised I turned out to be a sceptic, despite (or because of) a couple of experien... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by ChrLzs on 14 September, 2017, 6:59
Never heard of it either. I guess I don't read enough books from the $2 shops.. I guess the hoaxery was uncovered so soon, and it was so laughable even for then, that it never made the top ten lists..
Comment icon #6 Posted by Hammerclaw on 14 September, 2017, 7:58
They got nothin' on Orson Welles.

Military laser creates voices out of thin air
The Pentagon has been working on a new non-lethal weapon that can make people hear voices and sounds.
Curiosity rover celebrates 2,000 days on Mars
NASA's flagship rover has now been trundling across the surface of the Red Planet for more than five years.
Wreck of the USS Juneau found after 75 years
The World War II-era vessel went down in 1942 after being hit by Japanese torpedoes in the Pacific.
Tiangong-1 space station to crash over Easter
China's out-of-control Tiangong-1 space lab is now expected to fall to Earth over the Easter weekend.
How smart are you ?
Posted 3-23-2018 | 2 comments
Does an IQ test really offer an accurate measure of a person's intelligence ?
Posted 3-22-2018 | 1 comment
A look at words that sound alike and are spelt the same, but that have different meanings.
Monkeys learn to socialize
Posted 3-18-2018 | 0 comments
These young vervet monkeys must learn to socialize before being released in to the wild.
Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada
Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA
I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington
Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA