Saturday, April 21, 2018

Frozen lake sounds like a Star Wars battle

Posted on Tuesday, 12 December, 2017 | Comment icon 7 comments
This amazing footage of Gun Lake in Canada reveals the cacophony of strange sounds made by the ice.
The recording, which was uploaded on to the 'Mesmerizing Instruments and Sounds' Facebook page, captures the bizarre sounds of the 'singing ice' as it shifts due to temperature changes.

The noise is like nothing else on Earth - a strange combination of bursting bubbles, boiling water and the sounds made by blaster fire during a space battle in Star Wars.

While the phenomenon isn't new, it is quite unusual and is thought to be particularly audible when there is no snow on the lake's surface to absorb the sounds.

This particular example has so far been viewed over 160,000 times.

( If the audio in the video doesn't play, click the volume icon at the bottom right )

Source: Popular Mechanics | Comments (7)

Tags: Gun Lake, Frozen, Ice

Comment icon #1 Posted by pallidin on 12 December, 2017, 17:35
Wow! Amazing sounds...
Comment icon #2 Posted by paperdyer on 12 December, 2017, 17:42
Unfortunately I couldn't here them. I'll try at home. The sound card in my work laptop is crappy.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Farmer77 on 12 December, 2017, 17:48
Its a cool phenomenon, unless you happen to be standing on the ice at the time, then it is very much not cool
Comment icon #4 Posted by seanjo on 12 December, 2017, 18:53
When Star Wars was first released, I used to imitatethe lightsaber sound, if I did it in front of our un-neuter Tomcat, he'dshag any pillow or cuddly toy we put in frontof himevery time...great entertainment for kids...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Boozemonkey on 12 December, 2017, 22:48
Awesome. I could sit there all day listening.
Comment icon #6 Posted by MrBene on 13 December, 2017, 2:41
I loved the sounds!
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 14 December, 2017, 0:15
Just a thought... For whatever reason the vids audio is automatically muted on my end, so I had to follow OP's advice and un-mute the vid.

New species of 'exploding ant' discovered
4-20-2018
Capable of taking drastic action to protect their colonies, these ants have a rather unusual defense mechanism.
Missing Nazi submarine mystery finally solved
4-20-2018
The wreckage of one of Germany's most advanced U-boats has been discovered off the coast of Denmark.
Mutation helps Bajau people stay underwater
4-19-2018
In a rare case of natural selection in modern humans, the free-diving Bajau people have developed a larger spleen.
NASA teases plans for nuclear power in space
4-19-2018
The space agency will be revealing new details of its 'Kilopower' system at the beginning of next month.
Revealing the secrets of the deep ocean
Posted 4-19-2018 | 0 comments
Scientist Mandy Joye has dedicated her life to exploring the depths of the world's oceans.

Giant 3D-printed man
Posted 4-15-2018 | 2 comments
British YouTuber James Bruton has created a giant 3D-printed sculpture of himself.

The world's roundest object
Posted 4-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at how the roundest object can help us to define the humble kilogram.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA