Monday, June 18, 2018

Cyclist 'draws' 88-mile snowman in London

Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 | Comment icon 6 comments

The snowman took ten hours to create. Image Credit: Strava / Anthony Hoyte
'Strava artist' Anthony Hoyte used his bike and a popular route app to create the festive illustration.
Just in time for Christmas, the keen cyclist, who hails from Kent, rode his bike around the capital for more than ten hours to create the precise outline of a snowman complete with a hat and carrot nose.

By mapping his movements using the exercise and route sharing app Strava, he was able to produce a full-scale virtual drawing.

The technique, which creates what has become known as 'Strava art', has been used by several enthusiasts to create virtual drawings based on precisely mapped out real-world routes.

"Ideally you need a place with a high concentration of roads," said Hoyte. "And then I look at the map and look for things I can draw. It's like looking at clouds and seeing pictures."

"I wanted to do something festive but it ended up so big. It took 10 hours, I spent the whole day doing it and did it all in one go. I had to stop and find public toilets and went the wrong way a few times but it's so big no one's going to notice."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Strava, Snowman

Comment icon #1 Posted by XenoFish on 23 December, 2017, 15:46
Well. That's interesting.
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 23 December, 2017, 16:33
I had to find the Birmingham drawing, of course. I am on this map! (but I'm not one of the elephants )
Comment icon #3 Posted by Nzo on 24 December, 2017, 20:10
I have actually done this with my GPS app on my phone when I go for a bike ride or hike. Not 88 miles but a few miles. It is kind of cool. Something to entertain the mind.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Black Monk on 26 December, 2017, 17:08
I won't mind doing something like this. But I'd much prefer to use a car, especially if it's raining.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FLOMBIE on 26 December, 2017, 18:13
Lazy!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Matt221 on 26 December, 2017, 19:27
I once drew a wobblyline using a sat nav in my car from my house down to Cornwall and believe it or not it looked just like the one the one I made the following year.

6207875

A trip to the ISS will cost you $55 million
6-17-2018
Space tourism firm Axiom Space is offering people the opportunity to spend ten days aboard the space station.
Antarctica ice melt rate triples in five years
6-17-2018
New research has revealed that Antarctica is melting three times faster than previously thought.
Mystery sludge falls from sky over Canada
6-17-2018
Several residents in the city of Kelowna have reported having their cars hit by a mysterious substance.
Work begins on Large Hadron Collider upgrade
6-16-2018
The upgrade will significantly boost the facility's potential to make groundbreaking new physics discoveries.
Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA