Monday, December 17, 2018

Cyclist 'draws' 88-mile snowman in London

Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 | Comment icon 6 comments

The snowman took ten hours to create. Image Credit: Strava / Anthony Hoyte
'Strava artist' Anthony Hoyte used his bike and a popular route app to create the festive illustration.
Just in time for Christmas, the keen cyclist, who hails from Kent, rode his bike around the capital for more than ten hours to create the precise outline of a snowman complete with a hat and carrot nose.

By mapping his movements using the exercise and route sharing app Strava, he was able to produce a full-scale virtual drawing.

The technique, which creates what has become known as 'Strava art', has been used by several enthusiasts to create virtual drawings based on precisely mapped out real-world routes.

"Ideally you need a place with a high concentration of roads," said Hoyte. "And then I look at the map and look for things I can draw. It's like looking at clouds and seeing pictures."

"I wanted to do something festive but it ended up so big. It took 10 hours, I spent the whole day doing it and did it all in one go. I had to stop and find public toilets and went the wrong way a few times but it's so big no one's going to notice."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Strava, Snowman

Comment icon #1 Posted by XenoFish on 23 December, 2017, 15:46
Well. That's interesting.
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 23 December, 2017, 16:33
I had to find the Birmingham drawing, of course. I am on this map! (but I'm not one of the elephants )
Comment icon #3 Posted by Nzo on 24 December, 2017, 20:10
I have actually done this with my GPS app on my phone when I go for a bike ride or hike. Not 88 miles but a few miles. It is kind of cool. Something to entertain the mind.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Black Monk on 26 December, 2017, 17:08
I won't mind doing something like this. But I'd much prefer to use a car, especially if it's raining.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FLOMBIE on 26 December, 2017, 18:13
Lazy!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Matt221 on 26 December, 2017, 19:27
I once drew a wobbly line using a sat nav in my car  from my house down to Cornwall and believe it or not it looked just like the one the one I made the following year.

'One of a kind' tomb unearthed in Egypt
12-16-2018
A remarkably well preserved 4,400-year-old tomb has been discovered in the ancient city of Saqqara.
Real-life 'shrink ray' can reduce 3D structures
12-16-2018
Scientists have discovered a way to reduce 3D objects to a mere one thousandth of their original size.
Virgin Galactic has reached the edge of space
12-16-2018
Sir Richard Branson's dream of sending tourists up in to space is now one step closer to becoming a reality.
Jennifer Aniston once lived in a haunted house
12-15-2018
During a recent interview, the 'Friends' actress explained that she had been forced to call in a 'ghost whisperer'.
The logistics of climbing Everest
Posted 12-16-2018 | 2 comments
A look at what it really takes to reach the summit of Mt. Everest.

Humboldt squid takes a bite
Posted 12-10-2018 | 1 comment
A look at what happened when Steve Backshall met a rather large Humboldt squid.

Rainbow jelly tennis
Posted 12-3-2018 | 0 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another ridiculous slow motion experiment involving jelly.

My name is whispered

Orange, hovering, atom-like figure
10-25-2018 | West kelowna

I saw a strange man
10-25-2018 | Croatia

Spontaneous exorcisms
10-25-2018 | Canada

Two children who didn't age
10-24-2018 | United States New York