Saturday, January 25, 2020

Cyclist 'draws' 88-mile snowman in London

Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 | Comment icon 6 comments

The snowman took ten hours to create. Image Credit: Strava / Anthony Hoyte
'Strava artist' Anthony Hoyte used his bike and a popular route app to create the festive illustration.
Just in time for Christmas, the keen cyclist, who hails from Kent, rode his bike around the capital for more than ten hours to create the precise outline of a snowman complete with a hat and carrot nose.

By mapping his movements using the exercise and route sharing app Strava, he was able to produce a full-scale virtual drawing.
The technique, which creates what has become known as 'Strava art', has been used by several enthusiasts to create virtual drawings based on precisely mapped out real-world routes.

"Ideally you need a place with a high concentration of roads," said Hoyte. "And then I look at the map and look for things I can draw. It's like looking at clouds and seeing pictures."

"I wanted to do something festive but it ended up so big. It took 10 hours, I spent the whole day doing it and did it all in one go. I had to stop and find public toilets and went the wrong way a few times but it's so big no one's going to notice."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Strava, Snowman

Comment icon #1 Posted by XenoFish on 23 December, 2017, 15:46
Well. That's interesting.
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 23 December, 2017, 16:33
I had to find the Birmingham drawing, of course. I am on this map! (but I'm not one of the elephants )
Comment icon #3 Posted by Nzo on 24 December, 2017, 20:10
I have actually done this with my GPS app on my phone when I go for a bike ride or hike. Not 88 miles but a few miles. It is kind of cool. Something to entertain the mind.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Black Monk on 26 December, 2017, 17:08
I won't mind doing something like this. But I'd much prefer to use a car, especially if it's raining.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FLOMBIE on 26 December, 2017, 18:13
Lazy!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Matt221 on 26 December, 2017, 19:27
I once drew a wobbly line using a sat nav in my car  from my house down to Cornwall and believe it or not it looked just like the one the one I made the following year.

Astronauts create first ever food baked in space
1-24-2020
In a first-of-its-kind experiment, the astronauts aboard the ISS have baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies.
Doomsday Clock is now seconds from midnight
1-24-2020
According to the latest movement of the symbolic clock, the state of our world has gone from bad to worse.
Devon police once chased a UFO at 90mph
1-24-2020
One of Britain's strangest UFO cases began when two policemen spotted something very unusual in the sky.
Volcanic eruption turned victims' brains to glass
1-23-2020
This dire fate awaited the residents of Herculaneum when Mount Vesuvius erupted in the year 79.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA