Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Cyclist 'draws' 88-mile snowman in London

Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 | Comment icon 6 comments

The snowman took ten hours to create. Image Credit: Strava / Anthony Hoyte
'Strava artist' Anthony Hoyte used his bike and a popular route app to create the festive illustration.
Just in time for Christmas, the keen cyclist, who hails from Kent, rode his bike around the capital for more than ten hours to create the precise outline of a snowman complete with a hat and carrot nose.

By mapping his movements using the exercise and route sharing app Strava, he was able to produce a full-scale virtual drawing.
The technique, which creates what has become known as 'Strava art', has been used by several enthusiasts to create virtual drawings based on precisely mapped out real-world routes.

"Ideally you need a place with a high concentration of roads," said Hoyte. "And then I look at the map and look for things I can draw. It's like looking at clouds and seeing pictures."

"I wanted to do something festive but it ended up so big. It took 10 hours, I spent the whole day doing it and did it all in one go. I had to stop and find public toilets and went the wrong way a few times but it's so big no one's going to notice."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Strava, Snowman

Comment icon #1 Posted by XenoFish on 23 December, 2017, 15:46
Well. That's interesting.
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 23 December, 2017, 16:33
I had to find the Birmingham drawing, of course. I am on this map! (but I'm not one of the elephants ) †
Comment icon #3 Posted by Nzo on 24 December, 2017, 20:10
I have actually done this with my GPS app on my phone when I go for a bike ride or hike. Not 88 miles but a few miles. It is kind of cool. Something to entertain the mind.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Black Monk on 26 December, 2017, 17:08
I won't mind doing something like this. But I'd much prefer to use a car, especially if it's raining.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FLOMBIE on 26 December, 2017, 18:13
Lazy!†
Comment icon #6 Posted by Matt221 on 26 December, 2017, 19:27
I once drew a wobbly†line using a sat nav in my car† from my house down to Cornwall and believe it or not it looked just like the one the one I made the following year.

BBC film crew was held at gunpoint at Area 51
11-11-2019
Comedian Andrew Maxwell and his crew once had their own harrowing experience near the secretive facility.
Video of a fish with a human-like face goes viral
11-11-2019
Unnerving footage of a carp with distinctly human-like facial features has recently emerged on social media.
Geneticists propose human/tardigrade hybrids
11-11-2019
Combining tardigrade DNA with our own could one day improve our ability to survive for long periods in space.
Mercury set for rare transit of the Sun tomorrow
11-10-2019
This spectacular celestial event, which only happens a few times per century, will be visible for 5.5 hours.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia