Tuesday, March 2, 2021
  Bizarre

Cyclist 'draws' 88-mile snowman in London

Posted on Sunday, 24 December, 2017 | Comment icon 6 comments

The snowman took ten hours to create. Image Credit: Strava / Anthony Hoyte
'Strava artist' Anthony Hoyte used his bike and a popular route app to create the festive illustration.
Just in time for Christmas, the keen cyclist, who hails from Kent, rode his bike around the capital for more than ten hours to create the precise outline of a snowman complete with a hat and carrot nose.

By mapping his movements using the exercise and route sharing app Strava, he was able to produce a full-scale virtual drawing.
The technique, which creates what has become known as 'Strava art', has been used by several enthusiasts to create virtual drawings based on precisely mapped out real-world routes.

"Ideally you need a place with a high concentration of roads," said Hoyte. "And then I look at the map and look for things I can draw. It's like looking at clouds and seeing pictures."

"I wanted to do something festive but it ended up so big. It took 10 hours, I spent the whole day doing it and did it all in one go. I had to stop and find public toilets and went the wrong way a few times but it's so big no one's going to notice."

Source: BBC News | Comments (6)

Tags: Strava, Snowman

Comment icon #1 Posted by XenoFish on 23 December, 2017, 15:46
Well. That's interesting.
Comment icon #2 Posted by acute on 23 December, 2017, 16:33
I had to find the Birmingham drawing, of course. I am on this map! (but I'm not one of the elephants )
Comment icon #3 Posted by Nzo on 24 December, 2017, 20:10
I have actually done this with my GPS app on my phone when I go for a bike ride or hike. Not 88 miles but a few miles. It is kind of cool. Something to entertain the mind.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Black Monk on 26 December, 2017, 17:08
I won't mind doing something like this. But I'd much prefer to use a car, especially if it's raining.
Comment icon #5 Posted by FLOMBIE on 26 December, 2017, 18:13
Lazy!
Comment icon #6 Posted by Matt221 on 26 December, 2017, 19:27
I once drew a wobbly line using a sat nav in my car  from my house down to Cornwall and believe it or not it looked just like the one the one I made the following year.

Ornate Roman chariot unearthed at Pompeii
3-2-2021
Archaeologists have discovered a well-preserved 2,000-year-old chariot in the ruins of a wealthy Roman villa.
Argentinian titanosaur may be oldest ever found
3-1-2021
Palaeontologists have unearthed what is thought to be the oldest member of one of the largest dinosaur species.
Photographs of alleged live thylacines released
3-1-2021
Trail camera images of an alleged 'thylacine family' have been revealed, but not everyone is convinced.
AI learns how to play old platform games
2-28-2021
New computer algorithms designed to beat old 80s platformers could help robots navigate your home.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball