Saturday, October 19, 2019

Japanese astronaut experiences 'growth spurt'

Posted on Tuesday, 9 January, 2018 | Comment icon 9 comments

Kanai (right) pictured alongside his Expedition 54/55 crewmates. Image Credit: NASA / Bill Ingalls
Lieutenant Norishige Kanai has grown so much while in space that he may no longer fit in the Soyuz capsule.
The peculiar phenomenon is known to occur due to the stretching of the spine in zero-gravity, however few astronauts have ever reported such a significant and rapid level of growth.

Now 9cm taller than he was a mere three weeks before arriving on the International Space Station, Kanai has expressed concern over whether he will still be able to fit inside the return Soyuz capsule which has a limited seat height due to its notoriously cramped interior.

"I have a major announcement today," Kanai wrote on social media. "We had our bodies measured after reaching space, and wow, wow, wow, I had actually grown by as much as 9cm!"

"I grew like some plant in just three weeks. Nothing like this since high school. I'm a bit worried whether I'll fit in the Soyuz seat when I go back."

Typically an astronaut's height will return to normal within a short time of arriving back on Earth.

Update:

Kanai has since backtracked on his claim and now maintains that the original measurement of 9cm was an error. The actual amount by which he has grown is only 2cm, as per normal expectations.

"This mis-measurement appears to have become a big deal, so I must apologize for this terrible fake news," he wrote. "It appears I can fit on the Soyuz, so I'm relieved."

Source: Independent | Comments (9)

Tags: Astronaut, ISS

Comment icon #1 Posted by 3.0 on 9 January, 2018, 22:48
Classic Monster Movie Trailers The Amazing Colossal Man
Comment icon #2 Posted by pallidin on 10 January, 2018, 1:01
He'll fit...
Comment icon #3 Posted by Fila on 10 January, 2018, 2:36
Looks like Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story
Comment icon #4 Posted by joc on 10 January, 2018, 5:03
He didn't grow one millimeter.† He just actually is the height he is in space...but because he has lived his life on Planet Earth...which has Gravity....which eventually pulls everything and everyone down into itself....his full height potential isn't reached...probably has poor posture from sitting so much...what do I know?
Comment icon #5 Posted by seeder on 10 January, 2018, 11:07
It was fake news.... to a point †
Comment icon #6 Posted by Saru on 10 January, 2018, 11:19
More of an error than fake news ( despite his use of the term )†given that he legitimately did announce that he had grown 9cm and believed it to be true at the time. I imagine he will be a lot more careful about checking his facts before making any more grandiose claims on social media in future.
Comment icon #7 Posted by pallidin on 10 January, 2018, 11:53
I wonder if I can talk my doctor into recommending an excursion to the ISS to temporarily relieve back pain. Tried my washing machine to spin me around to lengthen my spine but it was cramped, and, I forgot about the last rinse cycle, dang it.†
Comment icon #8 Posted by RAyMO on 10 January, 2018, 14:47
A bit worrying though, I in my naivety thought these astronauts were involved in carrying out complex activities / experiments in space - sort of worrying that one would make such a error in measuring a person's height and then proceed to tell the whole planet without double checking. Really social media has a lot to answer for - it seems to create a need in some people to rush to twit without due consideration .
Comment icon #9 Posted by pallidin on 10 January, 2018, 15:03
Fully understandable... when he was being measured he started to float upwards... the other astronaut measuring didn't catch that.

Horror fans to attempt record vampire gathering
10-18-2019
Hundreds of Dracula fans in Ireland are set to attempt the world's largest gathering of vampires next week.
New 'invisibility cloak' is remarkably effective
10-18-2019
A Canadian company has come up with a new material that can render large objects almost totally invisible.
Divers encounter incredible underwater 'blob'
10-18-2019
This remarkable object, which is believed to be a mass of squid eggs, was found in the waters off Norway's coast.
Government file details new thylacine sightings
10-17-2019
A recently released government document has revealed 8 new sightings of the 'extinct' animal in the last 3 years.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ