Saturday, February 17, 2018

Has DB Cooper finally been identified ?

Posted on Tuesday, 9 January, 2018 | Comment icon 40 comments

A letter written by Cooper could hold the key to identifying him. Image Credit: PD / US Government
A hidden code may have finally lifted the lid on the mysterious hijacker known as DB Cooper.
The infamous hijacking occurred in 1971 when a mysterious man, who at the time went by the name Dan Cooper, boarded Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 305 to travel from Portland to Seattle.

During the trip, Cooper called over one of the flight attendants and asked them to write out a note declaring that he had a bomb in his briefcase and that the plane was being hijacked.

When the aircraft stopped at Tacoma International Airport, he allowed the passengers to leave in exchange for four parachutes and the sum of $200,000 in cash.

After the plane had taken off again, Cooper strapped the bag of money to himself, put on one of the parachutes and jumped out somewhere between Seattle and Reno. No trace of him was ever found.

Now though, a team of around 40 former FBI agents, forensic scientists and private investigators believe that they may have finally discovered Cooper's real identity.

Their investigations uncovered five typed letters that Cooper had allegedly written and sent out to various newspapers following the hijacking. The letters had been held in the FBI archives for many years and were only made available following a Freedom of Information Act request.

At the bottom of one of the letters Cooper had written a mysterious sequence of numbers that experts now believe to be a reference to three covert military units which operated during the Vietnam War.

As it turns out, one of the original suspects in the DB Cooper case was a Vietnam veteran who happened to have ties to all three of those units.

Efforts are now underway to conclusively tie him to the case and solve the mystery once and for all.

Source: IFL Science | Comments (40)

Tags: DB Cooper

Comment icon #31 Posted by BorizBadinov on 11 January, 2018, 17:18
No worries I would probably read it the same way at first glance. I should have used a more complete sentence. There could be a lot of other reasons for that chute to be there and one has to believe the FBI would give due diligence. Still it makes me wonder.
Comment icon #32 Posted by Skulduggery on 11 January, 2018, 22:40
https://dbcooper.com/2016/08/d-b-cooper-witness-fingered-rackstraw/ I've often heard that Rackstraw, as well as McCoy and many others, did not hold up to eyewitness identification (believe me -- I've studied this case half to death (although I've never watched any of the TV specials)). However, here's a small detail (in the link above) I must have glossed over way back. Turns out one very important eyewitness DID finger Rackstraw. The same witness who's deion resulted inthe famous composite sketch.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Skulduggery on 11 January, 2018, 22:56
*IF* Rackstraw is the same man from the Norjak incident, I think it would be amazing to seehimcome out and say he did it. He's old. Really old. I don't know what he'd face legally right now. I do think he'd have many fans, though. D.B. Cooper is a legend. In spite of the crime committed, he's become something of an antihero in a large part of public consciousness.
Comment icon #34 Posted by regi on 11 January, 2018, 23:53
But is he old enough? I've read that the hijacker's age was estimated as mid-forties, and so it seems to me (if that's anywhere close to accurate) then Rackstraw is actually too young.
Comment icon #35 Posted by Maureen_jacobs on 12 January, 2018, 0:22
No one else has anything to say on the railroad pensioner number?
Comment icon #36 Posted by Skulduggery on 12 January, 2018, 1:39
I thought about this, too. I just can't say without having been there myself.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Skulduggery on 12 January, 2018, 2:45
I can say this, though. When I was in basic training for the Army, I had a drill sergeant who looked like he was pushing 60, full head of gray hairand all. He looked very well-warn. He was actually 29. Looks can be reallydeceptive. Rackstraw's age definitely made me question this at first, though. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
Comment icon #38 Posted by _KB_ on 12 January, 2018, 11:08
Intriguing, the justice system over there seems fairly different from the one over here
Comment icon #39 Posted by regi on 12 January, 2018, 15:41
I appreciate that, but in this instance, it's my opinion that Rackstraw didn't appear to be mid-forties.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Skulduggery on 12 January, 2018, 23:59
I agree. He definitely didn't. However, I do enjoy looking at all possibilities sometimes.I'm definitely not convinced Rackstraw actually is the guy, but damn, they are really trying to paint a picture. That letter is interesting, TBH. I'm not convinced any of the suspects are the highjacker. I've been following this thing for years but apparently missed all the Colbert stuff till now. Last couple of years have preoccupied me with other things, so a lot of this is new to me. I do think 'Crazy Uncle L.D.' and Weber should be looked into further, especially Weber. I'm aware of the DNA testing, ... [More]

Man gets trapped down a sewer for three days
2-17-2018
The unfortunate man spent several days scrambling around the sewerage system looking for a way out.
How would mankind react to finding aliens ?
2-17-2018
Researchers believe that humanity would be more likely to welcome than fear the discovery of alien life.
Underpants mystery baffles French village
2-16-2018
Someone has been hanging underpants out across a village square in France and nobody seems to know why.
Andromeda is comparable in size to Milky Way
2-16-2018
It turns out that our closest neighboring galaxy is not the behemoth that scientists had previously thought it to be.
Big Bang vs Big Bounce
Posted 2-16-2018 | 0 comments
Was there another universe here before our own universe came in to existence ?

The Leaning Tower of Lire
Posted 2-12-2018 | 0 comments
Vsauce returns with a thought-provoking video about the problem of stacking blocks.

How did the dinosaurs die ?
Posted 2-8-2018 | 1 comment
A look at the devastating events that preceded the extinction of the dinosaurs.

World's longest bicycle
Posted 2-5-2018 | 2 comments
This ridiculous bicycle measures 41.42 meters in length and took nine months to put together.

The British flying Jeep
Posted 2-3-2018 | 0 comments
The British military reportedly developed a prototype flying car all the way back in 1942.

Black hole in Bismarck
2-14-2018 | Mandan

Trapped and chased
2-9-2018 | Saskatchewan canada

Someone calling my name
2-9-2018 | Budd Lake NJ

Strange feeling
1-18-2018 | Different places

Unexplained voices
1-18-2018 | United States

First college apartment
12-31-2017 | Daytona Beach, FL

The night my niece was murdered
12-19-2017 | Delhi, Louisiana