Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Has DB Cooper finally been identified ?

Posted on Tuesday, 9 January, 2018 | Comment icon 42 comments

A letter written by Cooper could hold the key to identifying him. Image Credit: PD / US Government
A hidden code may have finally lifted the lid on the mysterious hijacker known as DB Cooper.
The infamous hijacking occurred in 1971 when a mysterious man, who at the time went by the name Dan Cooper, boarded Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 305 to travel from Portland to Seattle.

During the trip, Cooper called over one of the flight attendants and asked them to write out a note declaring that he had a bomb in his briefcase and that the plane was being hijacked.

When the aircraft stopped at Tacoma International Airport, he allowed the passengers to leave in exchange for four parachutes and the sum of $200,000 in cash.

After the plane had taken off again, Cooper strapped the bag of money to himself, put on one of the parachutes and jumped out somewhere between Seattle and Reno. No trace of him was ever found.

Now though, a team of around 40 former FBI agents, forensic scientists and private investigators believe that they may have finally discovered Cooper's real identity.

Their investigations uncovered five typed letters that Cooper had allegedly written and sent out to various newspapers following the hijacking. The letters had been held in the FBI archives for many years and were only made available following a Freedom of Information Act request.

At the bottom of one of the letters Cooper had written a mysterious sequence of numbers that experts now believe to be a reference to three covert military units which operated during the Vietnam War.

As it turns out, one of the original suspects in the DB Cooper case was a Vietnam veteran who happened to have ties to all three of those units.

Efforts are now underway to conclusively tie him to the case and solve the mystery once and for all.

Source: IFL Science | Comments (42)

Tags: DB Cooper

Comment icon #33 Posted by Skulduggery on 11 January, 2018, 22:56
*IF* Rackstraw is the same man from the Norjak incident, I think it would be amazing to seehimcome out and say he did it. He's old. Really old. I don't know what he'd face legally right now. I do think he'd have many fans, though. D.B. Cooper is a legend. In spite of the crime committed, he's become something of an antihero in a large part of public consciousness.
Comment icon #34 Posted by regi on 11 January, 2018, 23:53
But is he old enough? I've read that the hijacker's age was estimated as mid-forties, and so it seems to me (if that's anywhere close to accurate) then Rackstraw is actually too young.
Comment icon #35 Posted by Maureen_jacobs on 12 January, 2018, 0:22
No one else has anything to say on the railroad pensioner number?
Comment icon #36 Posted by Skulduggery on 12 January, 2018, 1:39
I thought about this, too. I just can't say without having been there myself.
Comment icon #37 Posted by Skulduggery on 12 January, 2018, 2:45
I can say this, though. When I was in basic training for the Army, I had a drill sergeant who looked like he was pushing 60, full head of gray hairand all. He looked very well-warn. He was actually 29. Looks can be reallydeceptive. Rackstraw's age definitely made me question this at first, though. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
Comment icon #38 Posted by _KB_ on 12 January, 2018, 11:08
Intriguing, the justice system over there seems fairly different from the one over here
Comment icon #39 Posted by regi on 12 January, 2018, 15:41
I appreciate that, but in this instance, it's my opinion that Rackstraw didn't appear to be mid-forties.
Comment icon #40 Posted by Skulduggery on 12 January, 2018, 23:59
I agree. He definitely didn't. However, I do enjoy looking at all possibilities sometimes.I'm definitely not convinced Rackstraw actually is the guy, but damn, they are really trying to paint a picture. That letter is interesting, TBH. I'm not convinced any of the suspects are the highjacker. I've been following this thing for years but apparently missed all the Colbert stuff till now. Last couple of years have preoccupied me with other things, so a lot of this is new to me. I do think 'Crazy Uncle L.D.' and Weber should be looked into further, especially Weber. I'm aware of the DNA testing, ... [More]
Comment icon #41 Posted by Myles on 17 May, 2018, 16:46
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/17/db-cooper-was-former-military-paratrooper-from-michigan-publisher-claims.html The mysterious plane hijacker known as "D.B. Cooper," who has eluded authorities for more than 45 years, was an ex-military paratrooper from Michigan who boasted about the daring heist to a friend, a publisher plans to reveal Thursday. Michigan publisher Principa Media says Cooper was former military paratrooper and intelligence operative Walter R. Reca, and Principa worked with Reca's best friend, Carl Laurin, in compiling the evidence.While the publisher did not disclose if R... [More]
Comment icon #42 Posted by powerplant on 18 May, 2018, 16:37
I don't put much stock into this suspect. The audio interview made me cringe. The guy asking the interview questions is very disingenuous, he totally leads the interviewee into giving answers. Really makes me question the competence of the people doing the investigation. (the wrong way to conduct an interview, the person asking the question reveals all the details) Interviewer: "When you asked for the ransom money, did you ask for all $20 bills?" Suspect: "Yeah I did" (the right way to conduct an interview -- the person answering reveals the details) Interviewer: "Could you tell me about th... [More]

Giant predatory worms have invaded France
5-22-2018
Scientists have warned that huge worms up to 40cm long have been silently invading French gardens.
$17B 'holy grail of shipwrecks' discovered
5-22-2018
The long-lost 300-year-old Spanish galleon was found with the help of an autonomous underwater vehicle.
Man 'being followed by a pig' calls the police
5-22-2018
Police in Ohio were shocked to discover that a call about a pig following a man home was actually genuine.
It's official - Hitler really did die in 1945
5-21-2018
A recent analysis of Hitler's teeth has confirmed once and for all that he did not fake his own death.
Can an artificial intelligence really think ?
Posted 5-22-2018 | 8 comments
AI computer systems may be intelligent, but can they ever be truly self-aware ?

Where are all the B batteries ?
Posted 5-20-2018 | 2 comments
Batteries such as AA and AAA are common, but where are all the other letters ?

Meerkats caught in a dust storm
Posted 5-15-2018 | 1 comment
This group of meerkats in the Kalahari desert must split up to hide and survive the storm.

10 times Michio Kaku blew our minds
Posted 5-12-2018 | 2 comments
A look at some of theoretical physicist Michio Kaku's most mind-bending arguments.

Density ball
Posted 5-9-2018 | 0 comments
Michael takes a look at a ball with some rather unusual properties.

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA