Thursday, January 24, 2019

'Green needle' audio illusion emerges online

Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 | Comment icon 63 comments

Does the toy say 'brainstorm' or 'green needle' ? Image Credit: YouTube / Nerd Out With Me
Hot on the heels of 'laurel or yanny' comes another audio clip that seems to say two completely different things.
The new brain teaser, which is actually a short clip taken from a four-year-old review video, features a 'Ben 10' toy with a battery-powered loudspeaker that states the name of one of the characters.

The audio should be saying 'brainstorm', however many people are hearing it as 'green needle', despite the fact that the two phrases are very different in terms of how they are pronounced.

Even more peculiar is that, by listening to the clip carefully, it is possible to alternately hear both phrases - almost as though your brain's perception of the audio is flipping from one to the other.

The clip can be viewed below - which of the two phrases do you hear ?

Source: Independent | Comments (63)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #54 Posted by RoofGardener on 22 May, 2018, 15:00
I clicked on the link, and got a 30 second advert, so I closed it
Comment icon #55 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 15:06
I don't know about anything else, but that slowed down voice saying" Brainstorm" is enough to creep one out.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 16:52
I can hear both, and with a little practice I can hear "green-storm" and "brain-needle" which is interesting. as for yanny/laural, I was only able to hear "yanny."
Comment icon #57 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 May, 2018, 17:26
"Bring the evil" ?
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 23 May, 2018, 18:55
Brainstorm is what I hear. Green needle just isn't there for me.
Comment icon #59 Posted by evefromgh on 24 May, 2018, 21:33
I think this can win the prank of the day
Comment icon #60 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:32
Made in China
Comment icon #61 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:38
I can only hear ' I needle ' in Dart Vaderish
Comment icon #62 Posted by Hammerclaw on 27 May, 2018, 23:01
Sorry, but all I heard was "Paul is dead."
Comment icon #63 Posted by ChaosRose on 28 May, 2018, 1:37
All I hear is brain storm.

Black hole radio jet 'pointed directly at Earth'
1-23-2019
The supermassive black hole in the center of the Milky Way seems to be pointing a radio jet directly towards us.
Secret Pentagon research projects revealed
1-23-2019
A newly declassified list of top secret US government projects reads like something out of an X-Files episode.
Eels 'hyperactive' due to cocaine in the Thames
1-22-2019
According to a report, excessive drug use in London may be having an adverse effect on some of the local wildlife.
Steam-powered space probe could work forever
1-22-2019
Scientists have developed a prototype for a steam-powered spacecraft that can refuel itself with water.
Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 4 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

The most mind-blowing space discoveries
Posted 12-28-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of mankind's greatest space-related discoveries.

The origins of Christmas
Posted 12-22-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at the origins of several modern Christmas traditions.

Johannesburg Men in Black