Friday, June 22, 2018

'Green needle' audio illusion emerges online

Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 | Comment icon 63 comments

Does the toy say 'brainstorm' or 'green needle' ? Image Credit: YouTube / Nerd Out With Me
Hot on the heels of 'laurel or yanny' comes another audio clip that seems to say two completely different things.
The new brain teaser, which is actually a short clip taken from a four-year-old review video, features a 'Ben 10' toy with a battery-powered loudspeaker that states the name of one of the characters.

The audio should be saying 'brainstorm', however many people are hearing it as 'green needle', despite the fact that the two phrases are very different in terms of how they are pronounced.

Even more peculiar is that, by listening to the clip carefully, it is possible to alternately hear both phrases - almost as though your brain's perception of the audio is flipping from one to the other.

The clip can be viewed below - which of the two phrases do you hear ?

Source: Independent | Comments (63)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #54 Posted by RoofGardener on 22 May, 2018, 15:00
I clicked on the link, and got a 30 second advert, so I closed it
Comment icon #55 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 15:06
I don't know about anything else, but that slowed down voice saying" Brainstorm" is enough to creep one out.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 16:52
I can hear both, and with a little practice I can hear "green-storm" and "brain-needle" which is interesting. as foryanny/laural, I was only able to hear "yanny."
Comment icon #57 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 May, 2018, 17:26
"Bring the evil" ?
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 23 May, 2018, 18:55
Brainstorm is what I hear. Green needle just isn't there for me.
Comment icon #59 Posted by evefromgh on 24 May, 2018, 21:33
I think this can win the prank of the day
Comment icon #60 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:32
Made in China
Comment icon #61 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:38
I can only hear ' I needle ' in Dart Vaderish
Comment icon #62 Posted by Hammerclaw on 27 May, 2018, 23:01
Sorry, but all I heard was "Paul is dead."
Comment icon #63 Posted by ChaosRose on 28 May, 2018, 1:37
All I hear is brain storm.

NASA reveals its new asteroid protection plan
6-21-2018
A new 18-page document outlines how NASA and FEMA will approach the threat of an apocalyptic asteroid strike.
Tyrannosaurus rex couldn't stick out its tongue
6-21-2018
Researchers have revealed that the terrifying therapod had a tongue that was anchored to its mouth.
Could intelligent aliens move entire stars ?
6-20-2018
A new theory suggests that an intelligent alien civilization may try to collect and store stars for energy.
Ancient fossil yields oldest ever panda DNA
6-20-2018
Researchers have identified a long-lost panda relative from DNA that was retrieved from an ancient jaw bone.
Hermit crab finds a new home
Posted 6-18-2018 | 1 comment
Hermit crabs on this tropical island have been experiencing something of a housing shortage.

Throwing water at -52 below zero
Posted 6-10-2018 | 1 comment
What happens when you throw hot water in to the air in extreme freezing temperatures ?

Man was bitten by snakes 200 times
Posted 6-6-2018 | 0 comments
Despite being bitten so many times, 'snakeman' Bill Haast lived to be over 100 years old.

Catching an octopus
Posted 6-4-2018 | 0 comments
Coyote Peterson goes in search of an octopus in the tidal pools of South Africa.

The mystery of Tic-Tac bouncing
Posted 5-29-2018 | 0 comments
How is it that Tic-Tacs can bounce higher on the second bounce than on the first ?

Huge black triangle UFO
6-13-2018 | Mt Maunganui New Zealand

Ghastly intuition
6-13-2018 | Bay Area CA

A haunted... desk?
6-13-2018 | Peoria, Illinois

Mystery bristle brush
5-9-2018 | Whittier, U.S.A.

Dreams and clues to the future
3-31-2018 | Philippines and Germany

Black cloaked figure
3-31-2018 | Carlisle, Cumbria, England

Three knocks
3-8-2018 | Canada

Two shadows of me
3-8-2018 | Bellflower, LA

I think I know what I saw
3-5-2018 | Near Sultan, Washington

Ghost, or something else ?
3-5-2018 | Ohio, USA