Monday, October 22, 2018

'Green needle' audio illusion emerges online

Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 | Comment icon 63 comments

Does the toy say 'brainstorm' or 'green needle' ? Image Credit: YouTube / Nerd Out With Me
Hot on the heels of 'laurel or yanny' comes another audio clip that seems to say two completely different things.
The new brain teaser, which is actually a short clip taken from a four-year-old review video, features a 'Ben 10' toy with a battery-powered loudspeaker that states the name of one of the characters.

The audio should be saying 'brainstorm', however many people are hearing it as 'green needle', despite the fact that the two phrases are very different in terms of how they are pronounced.

Even more peculiar is that, by listening to the clip carefully, it is possible to alternately hear both phrases - almost as though your brain's perception of the audio is flipping from one to the other.

The clip can be viewed below - which of the two phrases do you hear ?

Source: Independent | Comments (63)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #54 Posted by RoofGardener on 22 May, 2018, 15:00
I clicked on the link, and got a 30 second advert, so I closed it
Comment icon #55 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 15:06
I don't know about anything else, but that slowed down voice saying" Brainstorm" is enough to creep one out.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 16:52
I can hear both, and with a little practice I can hear "green-storm" and "brain-needle" which is interesting. as foryanny/laural, I was only able to hear "yanny."
Comment icon #57 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 May, 2018, 17:26
"Bring the evil" ?
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 23 May, 2018, 18:55
Brainstorm is what I hear. Green needle just isn't there for me.
Comment icon #59 Posted by evefromgh on 24 May, 2018, 21:33
I think this can win the prank of the day
Comment icon #60 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:32
Made in China
Comment icon #61 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:38
I can only hear ' I needle ' in Dart Vaderish
Comment icon #62 Posted by Hammerclaw on 27 May, 2018, 23:01
Sorry, but all I heard was "Paul is dead."
Comment icon #63 Posted by ChaosRose on 28 May, 2018, 1:37
All I hear is brain storm.

Road workers unearth woolly mammoth bones
10-21-2018
The prehistoric remains of a mammoth and rhinoceros have been discovered near Cambridge, England.
Perfectly square iceberg baffles the Internet
10-21-2018
This strangely geometric piece of ice was photographed by NASA off Antarctica's Larsen C ice shelf.
Ancient talisman inscription remains a mystery
10-20-2018
Experts in London have been attempting to decipher the writing on an ancient stone found in the 19th century.
Dr Who and Star Trek get new constellations
10-20-2018
NASA has revealed an unofficial list of new gamma ray constellations based on popular culture icons.
The city of towering temples
Posted 10-21-2018 | 2 comments
A look at the temples of Angkor - a city steeped in Cambodian history and legend.

How does fluid 'climb' up a rod ?
Posted 10-16-2018 | 4 comments
Physics Girl checks out a remarkable effect achievable with non-newtonian fluids.

Tense stand off with an elephant
Posted 10-10-2018 | 2 comments
A BBC film crew ends up face to face with a potentially hostile Indian elephant.

Free solo climbing in 360 degrees
Posted 10-5-2018 | 3 comments
Alex Honnold climbs up Yosemite's famous El Capitan with no equipment whatsoever.

An astronaut's guide to risk taking
Posted 10-1-2018 | 0 comments
Veteran NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield talks about his views on taking risks.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas