Thursday, January 23, 2020

'Green needle' audio illusion emerges online

Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 | Comment icon 63 comments

Does the toy say 'brainstorm' or 'green needle' ? Image Credit: YouTube / Nerd Out With Me
Hot on the heels of 'laurel or yanny' comes another audio clip that seems to say two completely different things.
The new brain teaser, which is actually a short clip taken from a four-year-old review video, features a 'Ben 10' toy with a battery-powered loudspeaker that states the name of one of the characters.

The audio should be saying 'brainstorm', however many people are hearing it as 'green needle', despite the fact that the two phrases are very different in terms of how they are pronounced.

Even more peculiar is that, by listening to the clip carefully, it is possible to alternately hear both phrases - almost as though your brain's perception of the audio is flipping from one to the other.

The clip can be viewed below - which of the two phrases do you hear ?

Source: Independent | Comments (63)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #54 Posted by RoofGardener on 22 May, 2018, 15:00
I clicked on the link, and got a 30 second advert, so I closed it
Comment icon #55 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 15:06
I don't know about anything else, but that slowed down voice saying" Brainstorm" is enough to creep one out.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 16:52
I can hear both, and with a little practice I can hear "green-storm" and "brain-needle" which is interesting. as for yanny/laural, I was only able to hear "yanny."
Comment icon #57 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 May, 2018, 17:26
"Bring the evil" ?
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 23 May, 2018, 18:55
Brainstorm is what I hear. Green needle just isn't there for me.
Comment icon #59 Posted by evefromgh on 24 May, 2018, 21:33
I think this can win the prank of the day
Comment icon #60 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:32
Made in China
Comment icon #61 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:38
I can only hear ' I needle ' in Dart Vaderish
Comment icon #62 Posted by Hammerclaw on 27 May, 2018, 23:01
Sorry, but all I heard was "Paul is dead."
Comment icon #63 Posted by ChaosRose on 28 May, 2018, 1:37
All I hear is brain storm.

Strange black smoke ring filmed over Pakistan
1-23-2020
This giant ring, which was spotted drifting up into the sky, has been the topic of some heated debate this week.
New facility to produce oxygen from Moon dust
1-22-2020
A new technique could help make it possible for humans to live on the lunar surface in the not-too-distant future.
Elusive thief lives in grocery store ceiling
1-22-2020
Cops in Auburn have been struggling to catch a thief who lives in the rafters of the very store he keeps robbing.
Video shows 'ghost' watching man sleeping
1-22-2020
A peculiar video, which shows an eerie figure staring at a man through a window, has recently gone viral online.
Dog and Jamaican statue
1-10-2020 | Canada

Life changing experience
12-19-2019 | Australia

Unexplained smoke or fog
12-19-2019 | West Texas, USA

He came in the night
12-19-2019 | CA

My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA