Friday, April 19, 2019

'Green needle' audio illusion emerges online

Posted on Monday, 21 May, 2018 | Comment icon 63 comments

Does the toy say 'brainstorm' or 'green needle' ? Image Credit: YouTube / Nerd Out With Me
Hot on the heels of 'laurel or yanny' comes another audio clip that seems to say two completely different things.
The new brain teaser, which is actually a short clip taken from a four-year-old review video, features a 'Ben 10' toy with a battery-powered loudspeaker that states the name of one of the characters.

The audio should be saying 'brainstorm', however many people are hearing it as 'green needle', despite the fact that the two phrases are very different in terms of how they are pronounced.

Even more peculiar is that, by listening to the clip carefully, it is possible to alternately hear both phrases - almost as though your brain's perception of the audio is flipping from one to the other.

The clip can be viewed below - which of the two phrases do you hear ?

Source: Independent | Comments (63)

Tags: Audio, Illusion

Comment icon #54 Posted by RoofGardener on 22 May, 2018, 15:00
I clicked on the link, and got a 30 second advert, so I closed it
Comment icon #55 Posted by Vlad the Mighty on 22 May, 2018, 15:06
I don't know about anything else, but that slowed down voice saying" Brainstorm" is enough to creep one out.
Comment icon #56 Posted by Sundew on 22 May, 2018, 16:52
I can hear both, and with a little practice I can hear "green-storm" and "brain-needle" which is interesting. as for yanny/laural, I was only able to hear "yanny."
Comment icon #57 Posted by Calibeliever on 23 May, 2018, 17:26
"Bring the evil" ?
Comment icon #58 Posted by Still Waters on 23 May, 2018, 18:55
Brainstorm is what I hear. Green needle just isn't there for me.
Comment icon #59 Posted by evefromgh on 24 May, 2018, 21:33
I think this can win the prank of the day
Comment icon #60 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:32
Made in China
Comment icon #61 Posted by qxcontinuum on 25 May, 2018, 9:38
I can only hear ' I needle ' in Dart Vaderish
Comment icon #62 Posted by Hammerclaw on 27 May, 2018, 23:01
Sorry, but all I heard was "Paul is dead."
Comment icon #63 Posted by ChaosRose on 28 May, 2018, 1:37
All I hear is brain storm.

Aleister Crowley's Loch Ness home up for sale
4-19-2019
The eerie building, which was gutted by a fire in 2015, was once owned by the infamous writer and occultist.
Florida firm offers alien abduction insurance
4-19-2019
The tongue-in-cheek policy is designed to ensure peace of mind for those concerned about being 'taken'.
What are great white sharks frightened of ?
4-18-2019
Despite their fearsome reputation, these monster sharks will always try to steer clear of one particular creature.
Scientists revive pig brains hours after death
4-18-2019
A recent experiment has called in to question our understanding of when a person's brain has truly 'died'.
Cannon made from 50,000 matches
Posted 4-7-2019 | 4 comments
What happens if you light a cannon made out of 50,000 matches ?

Latin America's most dangerous snake
Posted 3-24-2019 | 1 comment
Coyote Peterson comes face to face with an extremely dangerous reptile.

Squaring a doughnut
Posted 3-12-2019 | 1 comment
Michael returns with another mind-bending problem - this time concerning squares.

Shells of cosmic time
Posted 3-3-2019 | 0 comments
A look at how observations of distant objects enable us to see back in time.

Thailand's snake village
Posted 2-26-2019 | 2 comments
Steve Backshall visits a village where the inhabitants live alongside dangerous snakes.

Winter solstice hooded figures