Thursday, August 18, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Space & Astronomy > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Space & Astronomy

A trip to the ISS will cost you $55 million

June 17, 2018 | Comment icon 8 comments

An artist's impression of the Axiom modules. Image Credit: Axiom Space
Space tourism firm Axiom Space is offering people the opportunity to spend ten days aboard the space station.
Based in Houston and founded by former International Space Station manager Michael T. Suffredini, the company has plans to not only offer trips to the ISS but to also build and launch its own modules.

Eventually, these will detach and become an independent facility known as the Axiom International Commercial Space Station.

This week the firm has revealed its price for a full ten-day stay aboard the ISS - $55 million - which will cover, not only the orbital stay, but also transportation and a 15-week astronaut training program.
The goal will be to launch the first module in 2019 and the first commercial customers in 2020.

"It is an honor to continue the work that NASA and its partners have begun, to bring awareness to the profound benefits of human space exploration and to involve more countries and private citizens in these endeavors," Suffredini said in a statement.

The interiors of the new modules will be designed in partnership with French architect Philippe Starck.

"This is a dream project for a creator like me with a genuine fascination for aviation and space exploration," he said. "The greatest human intelligence in the world focuses on space research."

Source: Space.com | Comments (8)

Comment icon #1 Posted by and then 4 years ago
It flies over every month or so.† I think I'll just wave...†† it's cheaper.
Comment icon #2 Posted by toast 4 years ago
If I would win exact 55M in the lottery, I would spend it for the trip.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Champagne Supernova 4 years ago
Ah sure that's only pocket money.....
Comment icon #4 Posted by and then 4 years ago
Seriously?† I agree that it would be a fantastic adventure but that amount of cash could fund a LOT of terrestrial adventures † †It makes me wonder why people like Musk, Gates, and Branson - especially Branson - don't pony up the cash and take the trip.† For 55 million, a person should get to stay for an entire crew cycle.††
Comment icon #5 Posted by TripGun 4 years ago
Make it a family package. Do I need my passport?
Comment icon #6 Posted by pallidin 4 years ago
IF I had that extra money, I would do it.
Comment icon #7 Posted by toast 4 years ago
IMHO there is no terrestrial adventure that would beat a trip to, and a stay on the ISS. Branson has his own space trip/space hotel projects and if I remember correctly he stated to join such trip when ready.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf 4 years ago
He will fly on the first commercial spaceflight of the SpaceShipTwo, maybe later this year. † Branson has already been addressed. As for Musk, why would he pay someone $55 million to fly to the space station when NASA are paying him to fly their astronauts there?

Total Posts: 7,314,933    Topics: 300,977    Members: 198,025