Saturday, September 22, 2018

'Private passenger' signs up for Moon trip

Posted on Friday, 14 September, 2018 | Comment icon 18 comments

The BFR is the private space firm's upcoming flagship launch vehicle. Image Credit: SpaceX
SpaceX has announced that a mystery individual has signed up to fly around the Moon on its upcoming rocket.
Known as the BFR (or Big Falcon Rocket), the new launch vehicle - the most powerful ever to exist - will be capable of carrying astronauts all the way to Mars and potentially even further than that.

While it isn't clear exactly when the new rocket will be ready to begin operations, SpaceX has already managed to sign up its first passenger who will be taking a once-in-a-lifetime trip around the Moon.

Further details about the mission, including the passenger's identity, will be revealed on Monday.

"SpaceX has signed the world's first private passenger to fly around the Moon aboard our BFR launch vehicle - an important step toward enabling access for everyday people who dream of traveling to space," the firm wrote on Twitter. "Find out who's flying and why on Monday, September 17."

SpaceX aims to ultimately phase out its current Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets in favor of the BFR which, like its predecessors, will be entirely reusable.

According to CEO Elon Musk, manned missions to Mars could begin as early as 2024.

Source: Space.com | Comments (18)

Tags: SpaceX, BFR, Rocket

Comment icon #9 Posted by Timothy on 18 September, 2018, 14:01
I do hope that the BFR comes to fruition. Although I am concerned with how this billionaire, along with his chosen 6-8 artists, will complete the journey. I’d happily join, as long as the BFR concept is proven to work, prior to departure. Will the craft be manned with trained astronauts also? Will the occupants be in an autonomous craft? How will they be trained to comprehend and endure the task that they are undertaking? Anyone who knows more about this, please comment.  A billionaire and 6-8 artists on a trip around the moon just doesn’t sit well with me right now.
Comment icon #10 Posted by Mr Guitar on 18 September, 2018, 14:29
Some people just have more money than brains! A fashion designer going to the moon....oh my! Not sure what this guy is expecting from his 'talented' crew but I'm sure it won't be of any great benefit to mankind except for some weirdo art and strange looking clothes and I'm also pretty sure he'll end up owning the rights to all the work resulting from the trip....he didn't become a billionaire by being stupid but, to me, he is seriously lacking common sense. He could have used those $$$ to do a lot of good here on good ol' planet earth.
Comment icon #11 Posted by kobolds on 18 September, 2018, 15:14
Virgin Galactic  second try how long until people understand that you need the kind a nation budget  money to able to go moon . few millions won't get you there.
Comment icon #12 Posted by AstralHorus on 19 September, 2018, 0:01
I mean a quick google search on the guy and he seems like a stand up dude... promoting young inspiring artists works by giving them a platform to a wider audience. A younger audience who he exposes and educates contemporary art too... To say art is hogwash is to insult artists, and who ever made your avi. An artist I’m guessing you “borrowed” from .
Comment icon #13 Posted by Waspie_Dwarf on 19 September, 2018, 4:39
Yeah, people made the same, ill informed, comments about reusable rockets a few years ago, Elon Musk made such comments look foolish then as, I suspect he will do again. Most of the cost in a moon, or any space mission, is in the launch. Make launching cheap and a mission to the moon becomes considerably more affordable. Now which company has a great track record for greatly reducing the cost of launching... Oh yeah, that would be SpaceX.
Comment icon #14 Posted by Mr Guitar on 20 September, 2018, 2:16
Not against artists at all and never said art is 'hogwash' - I'm a professional musician and also attended one of the most prestigious art schools in the country but I'm not 'touchy feely' about either one - to me, both graphic art and music are both a means to make $$$ - nothing else. Oh, and I picked my avatar because I like evil clowns and I thought that one was particularly good. As to your 'stand up' dude, I still think he'll keep the rights to any art generated as a result of the trip - he didn't get that rich by being a poor businessman.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Astra. on 20 September, 2018, 3:08
Ok, I get the money thing. But why wouldn't you have the nerve Pallidin ? .. Wow, I'd do it just for the buzz...it'd be neat ..
Comment icon #16 Posted by paperdyer on 20 September, 2018, 16:31
The trip could be followed on Kim and Family's "reality show".  At least there'd be something worth watching for a change.
Comment icon #17 Posted by paperdyer on 20 September, 2018, 16:44
He can come back and have a whole line of "Lunar Inspired" designs that all the "in" group will just have to have.  Then the whole trip can be written off on his taxes as a business trip.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Mr Guitar on 22 September, 2018, 18:06
Paperdyer, you pretty much nailed it! All the 'cool kids' and Kardasian  watchers will want the stuff and he'll get even richer. I wonder if he plans to make the trip or just sit back here as a 'consultant' holding a fat insurance policy on all the participants. Anybody spending that much money on such a wild haired scheme will surely have a backup 'Plan B' to cover his rear end. As I said before, anybody this rich doesn't get that way by being a bad businessman.

1,000ft spider web covers edge of Greek lagoon
9-22-2018
A vast stretch of vegetation next to Aitoliko Lagoon has become hidden beneath a huge mass of spider silk.
Japan makes history as rovers land on asteroid
9-22-2018
Japan's space agency JAXA has succeeded in landing two tiny hopping robots on the asteroid Ryugu.
'The Crown' star contacted character's ghost
9-22-2018
Helena Bonham Carter hired a psychic to contact the late Princess Margaret for advice on her latest TV role.
Dickinsonia is world's oldest known animal
9-21-2018
A new study has cast further light on a mystery fossil that scientists say is as 'strange as life on another planet'.
Treadmill fall in slow motion
Posted 9-17-2018 | 2 comments
The Slo Mo Guys return with another bizarre slow-motion experiment.

Tricking your ears
Posted 9-9-2018 | 0 comments
A look at some intriguing audio illusions and at how the brain interprets sound.

The science of music
Posted 9-5-2018 | 0 comments
A look at why our brains become so hooked on particularly catchy songs.

Swimming with lemon sharks
Posted 8-28-2018 | 1 comment
Steve Backshall gets up close to a group of deadly lemon sharks.

Cousins explained
Posted 8-24-2018 | 4 comments
Exactly what is a third cousin twice removed ? Michael unravels the mystery.

And the shadows smile
8-25-2018 | Deal UK

Disappearing objects
8-12-2018 | Houston TX USA

I dreamt that Austin was destroyed
8-12-2018 | USA / Texas

Demon on my TV screen
8-12-2018 | U.S.

3 knocks, 3 nights...
8-12-2018 | San Fernando Valley, CA

Feeling something strange
8-9-2018 | Sydney, Australia

Dragon sighting in Spring Tx.
8-9-2018 | Spring Texas