Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Divers encounter giant worm-like 'creature'

Posted on Tuesday, 13 November, 2018 | Comment icon 8 comments
Two divers came across something extraordinary during a recent excursion off the coast of New Zealand.
Resembling a long hollow windsock, this perplexing sea creature is actually not one, but hundreds of thousands of individual organisms that thrive together as a colony.

Known as pyrosomes, they can be found throughout the Pacific but rarely appear this large.

"Having never seen one in person or even footage or photos of one before, I was quite incredulous and elated that such a creature existed," said diver Andrew Buttle.

"It was very puzzling but also fantastic to be able to view it right up close and spend so much time with it. I believe it is possibly a pyrosome - occasionally they are caught in nets but not many intact large specimens have been caught to my knowledge."

"At times there can be blooms of thousands of small versions of these creatures in many parts of the world, but not something I had ever seen before."

Source: New Zealand Herald | Comments (8)

Tags: pyrosome

Comment icon #1 Posted by Not A Rockstar on 13 November, 2018, 13:31
That is the largest one I have seen!
Comment icon #2 Posted by freetoroam on 13 November, 2018, 13:36
I have seen these before, but not in person unfortunately.  The seas truly have some wonderful life forms. Pyrosomes, also known as the unicorn of the seas.
Comment icon #3 Posted by MissJatti on 13 November, 2018, 14:25
I have seen these on 1 or 2 of these on David Attenborough shows
Comment icon #4 Posted by third_eye on 13 November, 2018, 14:39
Enjoy ...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Carnoferox on 13 November, 2018, 14:47
A nice example of Pyrostremma spinosum, the giant pyrosome.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Seti42 on 13 November, 2018, 22:15
Wake up, sheeple! That's clearly the shed skin from one of Great Cthulhu's facial tentacles. Fhtagn...
Comment icon #7 Posted by Jon the frog on 14 November, 2018, 2:22
WOW, that's a giant !
Comment icon #8 Posted by TrikeTrash on 15 November, 2018, 20:01
Considering the "worm like creature" is living in it's own environment.  Shouldn't the headline read, "Bob discovers strange fish that swims poorly and blows bubbles."

Visiting interstellar comet is caught on camera
10-15-2019
Astronomers have revealed that comet 2I/Borisov is remarkably similar to comets from our own solar system.
Man traces pop star from her eye reflections
10-15-2019
A man has been arrested after using a disturbingly simple yet effective way to track down a pop star's home.
Revisited: Ronnie James Dio's UFO encounter
10-15-2019
The late heavy metal singer-songwriter had his own experience with a UFO at his house in New Canaan.
$3,000 'Jesus shoes' sell out in minutes
10-14-2019
A bizarre new type of footwear inspired by the Biblical story of Jesus walking on water recently went on sale.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ