Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Woman charged with pretending to be a witch

Posted on Sunday, 23 December, 2018 | Comment icon 36 comments

Countless accused witches were executed in the 15th and 16th centuries. Image Credit: sxc.hu
A woman in Ontario was recently arrested for witchcraft two days before the archaic law was set to be scrubbed.
33-year-old Tiffany Butch was charged on December 11th with demanding money in exchange for lifting a curse - a crime that falls under an age-old law prohibiting 'pretending to practise witchcraft'.

Butch, who also goes by the moniker 'White Witch of the North', was charged with the offense despite the fact that the law itself was set to be scrubbed entirely a mere two days later.

Timmins police force spokesman Marc Depatie explained that both police and prosecutors apply the law as it exists at the time of the offense.

"(In) this particular set of circumstances, the person gave them a sense of foreboding that a dreadful thing was about to happen to their family at some point ... (that) they should provide them with financial compensation so they could perform some sort of mystical service that would prevent that from happening," he said.

Butch herself however denies the allegations.

"People proclaimed me a witch here and gave me a nickname, but I'm not a witch. I'm a psychic," she said. "I don't know who this person even is, and none of my customers from October to now have put in any complaints with me or asked me for refunds back."

The case remains ongoing.

Source: CBC.ca | Comments (36)

Tags: Witch, Canada

Comment icon #27 Posted by freetoroam on 24 December, 2018, 17:19
A registered religion means nothing in my book in terms of what they wish to call themselves.  If they can perform miracles or cures or extraordinary feats which defy science or can not be explained with logic...because they claim they have a gift or power due to being a witch, then i would certainly be interested, but so far its all been mind games (many not in a bad wau) and the odd 'herbs' thrown into the bowl.  How is a 'witch' actually recognised as a witch, apart from the fact many have not qualified as a psychiatrist or doctor?
Comment icon #28 Posted by traveling_man on 24 December, 2018, 18:09
I recently saw a clip of what seemed to be an interview. The interviewer asked if the interviewee was a psychic, he said yes then the interviewer slapped him hard in the face and asked why he didn’t see that coming. Then he said to the camera “This is how easy it is to expose a charlatan.” It was hilarious.
Comment icon #29 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 December, 2018, 18:09
'Witch' is such an emotionally charged word in Western culture. It's just a term that can be applied to any Shaman. Wicca is just one flavor out of many, many pagan beliefs, and a fairly young one at that. Some identify as witches, others don't. Specifically, Tiffany Butch has said she doesn't identify as a witch, that label was given to her by someone else. She strikes me as a new ager who has read a couple of books and knows the names of a few crystals. She put herself in the spotlight and had no idea what she was doing, and now she's stepped in some doo doo.  My .02 is if you are using any ... [More]
Comment icon #30 Posted by XenoFish on 24 December, 2018, 18:41
This can create a very potent nocebo effect if someone were to be especially superstitious. They would most likely fall into confirmation bias and self-fulfilling actions to further reinforce the said "curse".  Magick works, it's all psychological though.
Comment icon #31 Posted by Calibeliever on 24 December, 2018, 19:43
Absolutely agree, the power of a curse comes from someone's belief in it, whether you believe in manifestation or not.  *snip*
Comment icon #32 Posted by cyclopes500 on 25 December, 2018, 2:44
I'm wondering if she's upset the Canadian and British secret services and Tessa May. Particularly as Queen Elizabeth II was involved in changing Canadian law. England has done it before. HMS Barham was a battleship sunk during WWII and we used the Witchcraft act to jail a woman. Sadly such a useful law no longer applies in the UK. We could set up and frame so many people. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Duncan.
Comment icon #33 Posted by Hankenhunter on 25 December, 2018, 3:51
A new girlfriend talked me into a psychic reading many years ago. As I sat there, I kept repeating, "this is stupid" in my head over and over till she was done. She just kept on with the vague generalities the whole time. My girlfriend was excited ever the reading and when I told her what I did, she said it doesn't work that way. I was single the next day. Hank
Comment icon #34 Posted by third_eye on 25 December, 2018, 6:39
It was the witches' fault ... ~
Comment icon #35 Posted by eight bits on 25 December, 2018, 7:47
Pretty much there still is. The post-Duncan charge, I am told, was mainly to clarify that religious spiritualism was not illegal (even if, being a religion, it might include the sacred rite of taking up a collection during its services. Evidently, the dead need money just as much as God does). I think there remains some interest in overturning the Duncan conviction. The difficulty is that it seems righteous on review. It was no secret that the Royal Navy withheld notification of next of kin of crew serving on ships lost in battle for a time, in order to deprive the enemy of vital intelligence.... [More]
Comment icon #36 Posted by White Crane Feather on 28 December, 2018, 7:27
Silly. Let people spend their money they way they want. I wonder if any of the acusers or prosecutors are Christian. I wonder if they will prosecute preachers for prospertiy gospel?

Frog travels 8,000 miles in woman's suitcase
1-22-2019
One holidaymaker got more than she bargained for recently after returning from a trip to South Africa.
Ancient shark species named after video game
1-21-2019
A newly discovered species of prehistoric shark has been assigned a name based on the shape of its teeth.
Emotional support alligator visits care home
1-21-2019
A senior living facility in Pennsylvania recently got a visit from a large reptile with some rather sharp teeth.
Javelin found embedded in mammoth's rib
1-21-2019
Researchers have discovered direct evidence that humans actively hunted mammoths with weapons.
Round Earth vs flat Earth
Posted 1-18-2019 | 4 comments
Why do some people believe that the Earth is as flat as a pancake?

Which is correct - math or maths ?
Posted 1-10-2019 | 2 comments
For years, there has been some confusion over the shorthand of the word 'mathematics'.

How fast does glass crack ?
Posted 12-31-2018 | 5 comments
The Slo Mo Guys attempt another intriguing slow motion experiment in their back yard.

The most mind-blowing space discoveries
Posted 12-28-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at some of mankind's greatest space-related discoveries.

The origins of Christmas
Posted 12-22-2018 | 0 comments
A look back at the origins of several modern Christmas traditions.

Johannesburg Men in Black