Monday, July 22, 2019

Sighting of a Victorian-era ghost goes viral

Posted on Monday, 1 April, 2019 | Comment icon 19 comments

Is there really a ghost lurking in the Wilmington branch of Market Basket ? Image Credit: sxc.hu
The story of a woman who saw a ghostly figure in a frozen food aisle has gone viral on social media.
Christiana Bush, who works in the bakery department of a Market Basket supermarket in Wilmington, Massachusetts, recalls the moment she caught sight of an old woman wearing a Victorian-era nightgown and hair cap standing in the frozen food aisle of the store.

She looked down for just a second and when she looked back up the woman had disappeared.

"She looked kind of like melancholy and a little angry," said Bush.

After asking on Facebook if anyone else had seen a ghost in the store, her story ended up going viral, leading to local news coverage and prompting customers to start keeping a look out while doing their shopping in case the alleged spook happened to make another appearance.

Even US Congressman Seth Moulton of Massachusetts wrote about the story on Twitter.

"I had no idea it was going to blow up," said Bush. "I mean I just posted a random status on Facebook saying, 'Hey has anyone seen a ghost' because I just wanted to connect with people.'"

Market Basket has since moved to reassure shoppers that there is nothing to fear.

"As far as we know, all of our stores are ghost-free," said spokesperson Justine Griffin.

Source: NECN.com | Comments (19)

Tags: Ghost

Comment icon #10 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 5 April, 2019, 15:31
Well, it has peaked my interest in going there, if I am in the area.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 5 April, 2019, 15:33
Lol. Market Basket does fine business, the old fashioned way: good stuff cheap. Now that's a free ad . I wonder how long it's stores will filter down south here, like Stop and Shop and such. Stop and Shop is a Mass. based company, right?
Comment icon #12 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 5 April, 2019, 15:34
I have told someone, when I die and if I get cremated, sprinkle me all over a Barnes and Noble. I know, I will be haunting it.
Comment icon #13 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 5 April, 2019, 15:35
You know, what I think is a bummer, no photo footage. I mean, someone didn't whip out their phone and got busy?!
Comment icon #14 Posted by papageorge1 on 5 April, 2019, 16:24
From my experience photos are never considered convincing to non-believers anyway. But I, as a believer in the phenomena in general, like to see alleged ghost photos. Shucks, but the tricky part is that you don't know it's a ghost until the mysterious disappearance so you wouldn't have thought to take a picture while visible.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Princess Serenity on 7 April, 2019, 20:53
I was reading a post on tumblr when I came across this article.. I took a screenshot of the post and going to share it with you guys.
Comment icon #16 Posted by the13bats on 8 April, 2019, 5:01
its a real unexplained mystery why with the miriad anedotes about things flying here and there and of course being blamed on ghosts has not once been videoed, im not talking silly staged fishing lines pulling stuff on some cheesy tv fake reality show im talking a good video by an investorgator showing things flying here and there...
Comment icon #17 Posted by stereologist on 11 April, 2019, 13:10
This is a place that seems ripe for investigation. If there are those wanting to put in a real investigation they should be doing it. So far we have stories, just stories.
Comment icon #18 Posted by stereologist on 11 April, 2019, 13:20
Here is a Boston Globe article. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/04/06/could-market-basket-ghost-wilmington-lady-caskets/WlGg0AXn4lame5VsWglSLL/story.html Great article about a possible match tot he ghost, a woman named Hiller. Fun read. This person seems to have been quite the character It seems that there is little to connect the "ghost" sighting to Hiller, but the story of Hiller is fun reading.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Jon the frog on 26 April, 2019, 16:12
One answer: squirrels !

75-year-old warship mystery solved at last
7-22-2019
The wreck of the last US warship to be sunk off the east coast during WWII has finally been discovered.
Orbital plan for lunar space station unveiled
7-21-2019
Mission planners at NASA and ESA have determined the orbital path of the upcoming lunar Gateway.
Why aren't humans constantly hallucinating ?
7-21-2019
A fascinating new study has highlighted just how sensitive, yet finely tuned the human brain actually is.
Tiger enters house, goes to sleep on bed
7-20-2019
A homeowner and his family were forced to flee when the enormous cat simply walked in the front door.
House vibrates
7-20-2019 | Northern part of lower Michigan

Sudden writing on hand
7-20-2019 | England

Spontaneous exorcisms
7-5-2019 | Ontario

A call from 'The Lobster'
7-5-2019 | Russia

Witnessing tree spirits
6-25-2019 | Ontario

I didn't move my blankets
6-25-2019 | Spring, TX

Bitten by a spirit?...true story
6-15-2019 | Dallas, Tx