Saturday, February 22, 2020

Mashed potato mystery endures in Mississippi

Posted on Sunday, 14 April, 2019 | Comment icon 7 comments

Who is responsible for leaving this here ? Image Credit: Michaela Lin / WJTV 12 News
An unknown individual has taken to leaving bowls of mashed potatoes around a Jackson neighborhood.
The peculiar enigma has been reported by numerous residents of the city's Belhaven district where Styrofoam bowls of the mashed up tubers have been found on top of mailboxes, on garden walls, balancing on top of cars and in other strange places outside of people's homes.

"I walked outside yesterday morning at 7 a.m. and I got in my car and that's when I noticed a white bowl on my windshield," local resident Jordan Lewis told WLBT-TV.

"It was full of rainwater. I threw it away and I was grossed out by it."

Some residents believe that the stunt may have some connection to Belhaven University.
"So far I have realized some of the 'victims' of the mashed potatoes are actually staff or Belhaven students or alumni," said Michaela Lin. "I feel like there has to be a connection there!"

While the act of leaving mashed potatoes around the neighborhood may seem harmless enough, some locals have raised concerns over the potential for more sinister motives.

"Some people were thinking maybe the mashed potatoes were poisoned to kill animals," local resident Sebastian Bjernegard told WJTV. "I didn't taste it... but some people were worried."

A local news report covering the phenomenon can be viewed below.

Source: Fox News | Comments (7)

Tags: Mashed Potato

Comment icon #1 Posted by toast on 12 April, 2019, 10:30
We have a similar prank here in Germany, called the "Minced Meat Phantom". Always on Mondays, a person place one pound of minced meat at various railway stations, see link here Its a kind of performance art, isnt it?
Comment icon #2 Posted by and then on 13 April, 2019, 0:38
I lived a few miles from that community while we were in Mississippi.  Lots of young, college students and quirky older folks there
Comment icon #3 Posted by Seti42 on 14 April, 2019, 18:58
I've seen something similar around Albuquerque,NM at bus stops. At first, I thought it was just people ditching food when the bus came, but now, I've seen it too many times for it to be that. Weird. I'd guess it's a prank of some sort, with a meaning/inside joke I'm not privy to.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Nnicolette on 14 April, 2019, 19:04
Maybe they are trying to feed the homeless? Or poison them?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Seti42 on 14 April, 2019, 19:27
I wondered that too...TBH. But there are better ways to try to feed the homeless, including just donating money/food/time to a decent shelter. As far as poisoning, well, the sad fact is (at least where I live) its easier and cheaper to just beat them up or shoot them. I have read about several such horrible instances here. Thankfully, the police and population as a whole seem to take it seriously, and many have been arrested, charged, and convicted for such vileness.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Nnicolette on 15 April, 2019, 4:00
Idk I leave boxes of food next to bums sometimes the shelter is an extra complication. So here's another idea... Maybe some lady makes really horrible mashed potatoes and her husband/kids are setting thiers down wherever to avoid eating it and yet give something else a chance to
Comment icon #7 Posted by Robotic Jew on 15 April, 2019, 11:48
It's obviously a ghost making them leaving them everywhere.

MIT develops asteroid strike 'decision map'
2-22-2020
Scientists have come up with a way to decide upon the best response to an incoming apocalyptic asteroid.
Pole vaulter snags groin in eye-watering video
2-22-2020
A young pole vaulter recently suffered a wince-inducing injury after a freak accident during one of his jumps.
Haunted Michigan town 'was like living in hell'
2-22-2020
A new TV series will explore cases of entire towns that have been incessantly plagued by paranormal activity.
Mystery message spooks smartphone owners
2-21-2020
Samsung Galaxy owners were left puzzled when a strange message was sent out during the night.
The babysitter
2-8-2020 | ON

Mystery brain surgery and JFK
2-7-2020 | Toronto Ontario Canada

I keep bringing spirits home
2-7-2020 | Michigan