Monday, May 20, 2019

Belief in Apollo hoax conspiracy could grow

Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2019 | Comment icon 693 comments

The Apollo hoax conspiracy isn't going away anytime soon. Image Credit: NASA
NASA's former chief historian is concerned that more people will subscribe to the hoax theory as time goes on.
Arguably the most notorious conspiracy theory of all time, the idea that the Apollo Moon landings were a hoax is inexplicably still around despite an overwhelming body of evidence to the contrary.

Perhaps more unsettling however is the potential for belief in such a conspiracy to rise rather than fall over the coming years due to just how long ago the Apollo Moon landings actually took place.

According to Roger Launius, NASA's chief historian from 1990 to 2002, polls typically show that around 5% of Americans currently believe that the landings were faked.

"The thing that concerns me more and more about this is, as time passes and the Apollo landings are farther into the past and fewer people remember them, it might be easier to embrace these kinds of ideas," he said during a recent presentation.

It's certainly no surprise that the Internet - and in particular social media - has played a significant role in the proliferation of the Apollo hoax conspiracy and that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.

"Americans love conspiracy theories," said Launius.

With NASA aiming to send humans back to the Moon within as little as five years however, there is at least a chance that this particularly conspiracy theory could soon be put to bed once and for all.

Source: Space.com | Comments (693)

Tags: Moon, Hoax

Comment icon #684 Posted by bknight on 19 May, 2019, 3:57
Derek: I went back over my figures and they a bit high but close to the values presented in AFJ.  Also after reviewing the data it would appear that my last good number would be around 62 hours never checked it until today I have at 61 hr, 39 min.=221940 sec. 1016 m/s (about 100 m/s high) and 363272 Km(about 17991 Km to far) That is the last time the reported velocity was slowing, and my number didn't include a two dimensional gravity, so mine would be off.   Thanks for questioning me and that got me to check.
Comment icon #685 Posted by Obviousman on 19 May, 2019, 4:19
Yeah, I already can guess of a dozen ways they'll weasel out of it.
Comment icon #686 Posted by Derek Willis on 19 May, 2019, 8:01
Okay, so you have confirmed the point where the Moon's gravity becomes more influential than the Earth's. The CSMs of Apollos 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 would have passed through that point on their way to the Moon. On the other hand, as the CSMs of Apollos 8, 10, 11 and 12 didn't go to the Moon - according to John Kelly - they didn't pass through that point. As an aside, Apollo 17 is a mystery both to myself and John Kelly. The CSM and LM headed towards the Moon, but no "real" landing took place. I have answered enough questions for now. As I have mentioned, an edition of my book - Faking Apollo: ... [More]
Comment icon #687 Posted by bmk1245 on 19 May, 2019, 9:11
Heh, I'll throw Molotov's cocktail: Gagarin never flew in space, all that was just staged. Here. Prove me wrong.
Comment icon #688 Posted by Noteverythingisaconspiracy on 19 May, 2019, 13:40
Maybe the Soviets didn't blow the whistle on the fake Apollo missions because then the US would have blown the whistle on Gagarins fake mission ?  Someone who used to work at RKK Energia told me that. I'm not saying he is right, but if you buy the book I'm writing about it you can make up your own mind.
Comment icon #689 Posted by ChrLzs on 19 May, 2019, 21:51
Well, now you've shown how ignorant you are and how little you have researched.  You're a ....(I shall refrain, but work it out for yourself. This sort of thing is easy to work out.  We know, precisely, the signal strength, and the location of the source.  So WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST CALCULATE IT?  If NOT, WHY DID YOU JUST BLINDLY ADD THIS TO YOUR BULLMANURE?  At the very least, why didn't you just look it up??? (see below for big hint). It's very obvious, you are completely disinterested in the truth.  You have rejected all information and explanations out of hand, invented handwaved (and ludicrou... [More]
Comment icon #690 Posted by lost_shaman on 19 May, 2019, 23:40
Ewwwhhh! Burn! How can that guy dare post on a discussion Forum without full Scientific Credentials?
Comment icon #691 Posted by ChrLzs on 20 May, 2019, 1:49
The reason for my jibe can be found here, where Derek assured us of his science qualifications:   So .... do you have anything that adds to the thread?  In particular, do you think Derek's claim about the 'wrong' amount of dust being on Surveyor 3 has any merit whatsoever, and could be analysed in any meaningful way? I'm all ears...
Comment icon #692 Posted by bknight on 20 May, 2019, 2:56
I happen to have a copy of that little piece of work.   Ah yes line of sight transmissions.  Since I am not a Ham operator, I wouldn't have thought about that, but kudos to Mr. Baysinger.
Comment icon #693 Posted by Derek Willis on 20 May, 2019, 7:32
I'm trying to stretch my mind back to my university days and remember one of the cardinal tenets of scientific proof. Ah, yes - repeatability. It seems Larry Baysinger conducted his experiment to verify the information that NASA had been providing about the Apollo project. What he discovered was that his recording uncovered no differences to what was being transmitted on T.V. Satisfied this single experiment proved NASA was being truthful, he decided he had no need to repeat it. As it says in the link below, Baysinger did not attempt to eavesdrop on the other Apollo missions. http://observator... [More]

NASA celebrates 50th anniversary of Apollo 10
5-19-2019
50 years ago, the Apollo 10 crew flew within 9 miles of the Moon's surface a mere two months before Apollo 11.
Human-like figure floats eerily over California
5-19-2019
Peculiar video footage has emerged showing a vaguely humanoid shape floating across the sky over Burbank.
More mystery 'jars of the dead' found in Laos
5-18-2019
Archaeologists have unearthed an additional 137 large stone jars at megalithic sites in Southeast Asia.
Firm offers Game of Thrones spoiler insurance
5-18-2019
A British insurance company is offering compensation to viewers who have had the finale inadvertently spoiled.
Crashed UFO off Gig Harbor Wa.
5-15-2019 | Gig Harbor Wa.

My enlightenment