Sunday, May 22, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

Deepfake AI can bring still images to life

May 25, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

Even the Mona Lisa can be brought to life. Image Credit: YouTube / Egor Zakharov
Samsung's new AI-driven software can create video footage of someone using nothing but a still image.
The unnerving though technically impressive technology is so effective that it can produce convincing moving images of a person using nothing more than their Facebook profile photograph.

It is even capable of creating videos of people portrayed in paintings.

While previous systems capable of doing this type of thing required a large number of images of a person, this latest solution gets around this requirement by going through a lengthy 'meta-learning' stage which involves watching thousands of videos to build up an idea of how a face moves.
While the technology has legitimate uses in video game development and movie special effects, concerns have been raised over the possibility of creating fake videos of real people.

In the future, unscrupulous individuals could produce forged videos of politicians, celebrities or even an ex-wife or work rival, either for the purpose of revenge or to spread fake news.

It's a technology that will likely need to be seriously regulated.

Source: CNET.com | Comments (12)

Comment icon #3 Posted by cathya 3 years ago
This is NOT a good thing. Now we'll never know if anything is true.
Comment icon #4 Posted by freetoroam 3 years ago
The faces do not look right, the Monroe one looks wierd. Why would they want to do that with Marilyn Monroe when she is films actually moving?
Comment icon #5 Posted by Seti42 3 years ago
That's creepy and awesome. I loved the talking paintings, despite their obvious glitches. It'll be fun seeing what fake news makers do with this in the coming elections. Did I type 'fun'? Sorry, I meant F-ing terrible and horrifying. The fake drunk Pelosi was already bad enough, and that's clearly the tip of the iceberg. It was an obvious fake, yet far right wing people on fb still bought and shared it.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Seti42 3 years ago
That's creepy and awesome. I loved the talking paintings, despite their obvious glitches. I hope video game makers get on this! I want to see more talking paintings and sculpture in my horror games. It'll be fun seeing what fake news makers do with this in the coming elections. It seems you only need 10-30 varied frames to make something convincing.  Did I type 'fun'? Sorry, I meant F-ing terrible and horrifying. The fake drunk Pelosi was already bad enough, and that's clearly the tip of the iceberg. It was an obvious fake, yet far right wing people on fb still bought and shared it. PS: This w... [More]
Comment icon #7 Posted by Gary Meadows 3 years ago
If you are truly fooled by Deepfake, you have your own stuff going on. Oh the doom!
Comment icon #8 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year 3 years ago
Well it's a step up.
Comment icon #9 Posted by DirtyDocMartens 3 years ago
I used to think I'd be dead before ****ed up s**t like this came to be, but I don't think I'll be that lucky now.
Comment icon #10 Posted by fred_mc 3 years ago
This is scary.
Comment icon #11 Posted by It's Just An Opinion 3 years ago
In the past the only thing people had as proof on the news used to be eye witnesses, but once you get down to it. Unless you trace the source, (and even when you trace that source): you have to endlessly trace more sources until you get down to the eye witnesses themselves, and even then all they had for proof was their word. Which isn't reliable for obvious reasons, but now even video and audio isn't. looks like from now on the only way to be sure something is true on the news is when it affects the lives of billions or millions.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Impedancer 3 years ago
They look kind of plastic to me if you get fooled by this then you're gullible.

Total Posts: 7,265,777    Topics: 298,852    Members: 196,964