Wednesday, January 19, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Palaeontology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Palaeontology

Giant half-ton bird lived alongside early man

June 27, 2019 | Comment icon 22 comments

Pachystruthio dmanisensis was truly enormous. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 markow76
A thigh bone found in a Crimean cave belonged to a huge species of bird that was as heavy as a polar bear.
The fossil, which was discovered along the northern coast of the Black Sea, dates back between 1.5 and 1.8 million years to a time when Homo erectus roamed the European continent.

Known as Pachystruthio dmanisensis, this gargantuan flightless bird was three times the weight of today's ostriches, stood 3.5 meters tall and could run at quite significant speeds.

It would have provided our ancestors with a plentiful supply of meat, bones, feathers and eggshells.
"No birds of this size have ever been reported from Europe," said palaeontologist Nikita Zelenkov from the Russian Academy of Sciences.

"We don't know when it became extinct exactly, but most likely it did not survive later than 1.2 million years ago. They would have been seen by various Homo erectus people."

Source: The Guardian | Comments (22)

Comment icon #13 Posted by Manwon Lender 3 years ago
It appears that the oldest Proto-human remains found in Europe were found in Spain and they were between 800,000 and 1 million years old. They are calling this ancestor Homo-antecessor which is a distant relative of Homo-erects. The remains were found in a cave and consist of a jaw bone and parts of a skull.
Comment icon #14 Posted by openozy 3 years ago
Maori have big appetites,I shared a house years ago with a couple of them.Nice blokes but I reckon they could have given a bbq'd moa a good nudge.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
They think it was the ancestor of the Neanderthal and Denisovan. I think this was the step between them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxgrove_Man
Comment icon #16 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
You might be interested in this Colonel. I had a few of these handaxes in my collection made from Dover flint. Found them on a railroad bed because the excavator pulled up the whole site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheulean
Comment icon #17 Posted by Manwon Lender 3 years ago
I don't know, like I said this topic is very confusing. Someone makes a find and they don't compare it its other finds. So then they think their find is unique and they name it. I would bet if many of the finds were compared they would be found to be the same.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
Well, they're just discovering a lot of Asian H. Erectus are actually Denisovans. Butclimate in the south isn't conducive to DNA so we will never know about some so called H. Erectus remains.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Manwon Lender 3 years ago
I also have a collection, one of these days I will post a photo of an Ax head that I found in field near Cahokia Mounds. The thing weighs almost 10 lb's, its 5inches long, 4.6 inches wide and 1.9 inches thick. It was obviously attached to a handle because you see the worn groves from the material used to attach it.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Manwon Lender 3 years ago
I totally agree!
Comment icon #21 Posted by Piney 3 years ago
Backpedal the "Lets Talk History Thread". I put pics of half a lithic workshop there. Then there is this
Comment icon #22 Posted by Silver Surfer 3 years ago
3.6 metres on the moa but not the mass. Wow.

Total Posts: 7,212,695    Topics: 295,829    Members: 195,246