Thursday, November 21, 2019

Giant half-ton bird lived alongside early man

Posted on Thursday, 27 June, 2019 | Comment icon 22 comments

Pachystruthio dmanisensis was truly enormous. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 markow76
A thigh bone found in a Crimean cave belonged to a huge species of bird that was as heavy as a polar bear.
The fossil, which was discovered along the northern coast of the Black Sea, dates back between 1.5 and 1.8 million years to a time when Homo erectus roamed the European continent.

Known as Pachystruthio dmanisensis, this gargantuan flightless bird was three times the weight of today's ostriches, stood 3.5 meters tall and could run at quite significant speeds.

It would have provided our ancestors with a plentiful supply of meat, bones, feathers and eggshells.
"No birds of this size have ever been reported from Europe," said palaeontologist Nikita Zelenkov from the Russian Academy of Sciences.

"We don't know when it became extinct exactly, but most likely it did not survive later than 1.2 million years ago. They would have been seen by various Homo erectus people."

Source: The Guardian | Comments (22)

Tags: Bird

Comment icon #13 Posted by Manwon Lender on 28 June, 2019, 5:34
It appears that the oldest Proto-human remains found in Europe were found in Spain and they were between 800,000 and 1 million years old. They are calling this ancestor Homo-antecessor which is a distant relative of Homo-erects. The remains were found in a cave and consist of a jaw bone and parts of a skull.
Comment icon #14 Posted by openozy on 28 June, 2019, 6:02
Maori have big appetites,I shared a house years ago with a couple of them.Nice blokes but I reckon they could have given a bbq'd moa a good nudge.
Comment icon #15 Posted by Piney on 28 June, 2019, 6:18
They think it was the ancestor of the Neanderthal and Denisovan. I think this was the step between them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxgrove_Man
Comment icon #16 Posted by Piney on 28 June, 2019, 6:22
You might be interested in this Colonel. I had a few of these handaxes in my collection made from Dover flint. Found them on a railroad bed because the excavator pulled up the whole site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheulean
Comment icon #17 Posted by Manwon Lender on 28 June, 2019, 6:25
I don't know, like I said this topic is very confusing. Someone makes a find and they don't compare it its other finds. So then they think their find is unique and they name it. I would bet if many of the finds were compared they would be found to be the same.
Comment icon #18 Posted by Piney on 28 June, 2019, 6:31
Well, they're just discovering a lot of Asian H. Erectus are actually Denisovans. Butclimate in the south isn't conducive to DNA so we will never know about some so called H. Erectus remains.
Comment icon #19 Posted by Manwon Lender on 28 June, 2019, 6:35
I also have a collection, one of these days I will post a photo of an Ax head that I found in field near Cahokia Mounds. The thing weighs almost 10 lb's, its 5inches long, 4.6 inches wide and 1.9 inches thick. It was obviously attached to a handle because you see the worn groves from the material used to attach it.
Comment icon #20 Posted by Manwon Lender on 28 June, 2019, 6:36
I totally agree!
Comment icon #21 Posted by Piney on 28 June, 2019, 6:41
Backpedal the "Lets Talk History Thread". I put pics of half a lithic workshop there. Then there is this
Comment icon #22 Posted by Silver Surfer on 28 June, 2019, 10:18
3.6 metres on the moa but not the mass. Wow.

Outbreak of the Black Death reported in China
11-21-2019
A resurgence of the bubonic plague in China has been raising eyebrows this week, but just how dangerous is it?
Flat Earth conspiracy is continuing to spread
11-20-2019
Despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, more and more people now believe that the Earth is flat.
Can you survive with half your brain removed?
11-20-2019
A new study has revealed the remarkable ability of the human brain to adapt even when half of it is missing.
SETI Institute celebrates 35 years of hunting ET
11-20-2019
The research organization is today celebrating 35 years of searching for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia