Monday, November 18, 2019

Woman swallowed coin, lost voice for 12 years

Posted on Wednesday, 10 July, 2019 | Comment icon 31 comments

A single coin robbed Heffernan of the ability to speak. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 4.0 Santeri Viinamaki
When Marie Heffernan unknowingly swallowed a coin as a teenager, her life took a sudden turn for the worse.
Heffernan, who was only 13 at the time, was told by doctors that her lost voice was due to an acute case of bronchitis and laryngitis, but when her symptoms failed to improve, adjusting to life without a voice left her feeling both socially isolated and increasingly fearful that she may never speak again.

"I'd just started high school, it was frightening - I didn't know what was going on and neither did the doctors," she said. "People's reactions changed over time - first their reaction was one of surprise and shock but over months, when my voice didn't return, it became something else."

"People didn't know what to say to my parents, they just stopped talking to me at all."

Then, one day 12 years later while sitting at work, Heffernan suddenly started to choke on something and managed to cough up a 1959 threepence.
It turned out that the coin had been lodged in her vocal cords, preventing them from vibrating.

Almost immediately she started to make sounds again and within two weeks she began to string words together. Her story would go on to make headlines across the country.

"I couldn't believe it - it's still a mystery how I swallowed the coin, a threepence which wouldn't have even been in circulation," she said.

"The only thing we can think is that it must have been in a can or bottle of soft drink."

Source: Illawarra Mercury | Comments (31)

Tags: Marie Heffernan, Coin

Comment icon #22 Posted by Babe bambino on 11 July, 2019, 14:50
All besides your typical californian accent. I remember an snl skit with jamie foxx and jason sudeikis i dont know if people from maine actually sound like this but i like it hehe† †
Comment icon #23 Posted by rashore on 11 July, 2019, 14:59
Lol, no... that's none of the Maine accents. It's more of a spoof/play on twisting some of the more southern state accents, probably as a spoof/play about being from more southern Maine vs the northern regions of Maine.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Babe bambino on 11 July, 2019, 15:03
I was wondering why he sounded so southern hehehehehe. I just have a boring slightly northern british accent
Comment icon #25 Posted by Rolltide on 11 July, 2019, 17:45
Comment icon #26 Posted by Babe bambino on 11 July, 2019, 18:36
I love when that happens hehehehe
Comment icon #27 Posted by rashore on 11 July, 2019, 18:40
Goodness, yes.. .and my bad for playing part in the derailment. Back to the OP then. I can't imagine how terrible it would be to have something stuck in your throat for so long.
Comment icon #28 Posted by Captain Risky on 11 July, 2019, 19:07
LOL...
Comment icon #29 Posted by Babe bambino on 11 July, 2019, 19:42
I think shes dumb as hell, how do you get coins stuck down in your throat although i cant talk when i was like 5 i swallowed a small penny, the year before that i somehow sniffed a sequin up my nose. I was a weird kid.† I even made food out of disgusting things and chopped worms and †because i thought they would grow back.
Comment icon #30 Posted by Golden Duck on 11 July, 2019, 23:51
Pennies were still put in the Christmas pudding when I was (supposedly) growing up. I remember one Christmas my grandmother/aunts/mother saying how the decimal currency coins were had some toxic reaction with food.† That could be why the coins were kept after circulation. it's a bit of an old wives tale anyway.† I'm pretty sure I swallowed a decimal currency coin at some stage.† It was dad's job to "account" for it.
Comment icon #31 Posted by pixiii on 12 July, 2019, 6:48
You'd think right!?!?† Well, as an Aussie myself, I'd just like to say that most of us usually spend money, not eat it.† This girl was clearly out of the ordinary.† But damn....no x-ray's? There's got to be more to this story or maybe that's how they are in Wollongong †††

Egypt hints at 'mummified lion' discovery
11-17-2019
Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered the mummy of a very large animal, most likely a lion or lioness.
Unsettling baby cam image creeps out parents
11-17-2019
When a couple recently acquired a baby monitor, the image it produced wasn't quite what they were expecting.
Officers were ordered to erase UFO evidence
11-17-2019
Former USS Nimitz officers claim that 'unknown individuals' ordered them to hand over all the recordings.
'Bigfoot screams' video continues to intrigue
11-16-2019
A recording of terrifying howling sounds coming from the woods of rural Canada still lacks a definitive explanation.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia