Thursday, October 17, 2019

Mystery as postman buries letters in forest

Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 | Comment icon 26 comments

It remains unclear why the postman buried the letters. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Donar Reiskoffer
A Dutch postman was recently caught burying thousands of letters in holes that he had dug out in the woods.
Police in the Netherlands made the peculiar discovery near the town of Laren on Wednesday after a member of the public reported coming across suspicious mounds of Earth and a shovel.

The rogue postman, whose name has not been disclosed, had reportedly dug a total of eight large holes in which they had buried thousands of letters over the course of several weeks.

"They were mostly bills, magazines, and publicity letters," said a postal company spokesperson.

"It was someone who has unfortunately not respected our work standards. We are taking the necessary measures."

The letters that managed to remain in good condition have now been sent on to their recipients while those that have degraded due to the damp conditions are in the process of being destroyed.

"We very much regret what happened," said the spokesperson.

Exactly why the postman buried the letters as he did however continues to remain a total mystery.

Source: rte.ie | Comments (26)

Tags: Postman

Comment icon #17 Posted by godnodog on 15 July, 2019, 18:20
I am a postman and I am willing to bet that that dude has a grudge against his employer, most likely to wages or incentives not being paid. Where I worked we had similar problems in the past, for example, my previous boss didn't pay his employees because he didn't feel like it and so loads of crates with invoices letters were taken from the warehouse and destroyed, others dumped the letters in the trash others in the middle of the forest, needless to say these guys were fired and were VERY LUCKY not be indicted by the police because the companies that hired the serviced were appalec with the d... [More]
Comment icon #18 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 22 July, 2019, 16:10
One of my friends is a retired postman, and he seems pretty normal to me.† But then again, one of the previous occupants of the house I live in now, also works for the post office, and I still to this day, find some crazy things in the house, that was left from before.† Were most of the mail, bills? In some sense in his mind, was he thinking he was doing people a favor?† †
Comment icon #19 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 22 July, 2019, 16:12
I would think that would be a federal offense here. If I'm correct on that, that is. I wonder what the Netherlands's law about that is.† †
Comment icon #20 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 22 July, 2019, 16:17
I would think something like, or psychological. This is reminding me back at the time when we lived in base housing in another state. The garbage people who picks up the trash for housing, ended up dumping their truck right in the middle of the parking lot of our housing court one time.† I had a feeling someone kind of lost it. *shrugs*† And from what I understand, there were a lot of complaint calls to the particular department on the base, and that one or a few were disciplined. (I don't know about getting help............. though I hoped so.) †
Comment icon #21 Posted by Stubbly_Dooright on 22 July, 2019, 16:20
What part of New York and when? I use to live in Upstate New York years ago, and that might explain some of my missing mail! †† No, seriously, there are things I have not received after sending things in, when I lived up there. But, really, I don't think he did it. †† I do agree with some assessment's here. Where bills, and other important things arrive through these means, people not receiving what they need, could cause some really big problems.†
Comment icon #22 Posted by Desertrat56 on 22 July, 2019, 17:00
I don't know, I think close to New York city or in New York city.† He was a nut and he had been raised by a single mother in the 60's who found it was easier to jump in front of a cab and collect insurance money than to find a job.† I don't know who took care of him when she was in the hospital.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Kaikou on 22 July, 2019, 19:18
It's fun sometimes to wonder why people do things like this, but I used to notice similar things in my area.† Like I've witnessed paperboys dump a full bag of papers in the brook for example. Usually just to get out of delivering them.
Comment icon #24 Posted by Desertrat56 on 22 July, 2019, 19:39
I have never noticed that but I have noticed people of a certain age refusing to help customers in shops by simply saying "We don't have that" when in fact they did.† I came in to that store because they do have it.† I once drove away from one Autozone after being told by a barely 20 year old boy that they didn't have it and he wouldn't look it up when I needed a part.† I went 10 miles to the next autozone and the woman behind the counter pulled it off the shelf without having to look it up because she knew her job.† I wanted some 10 1/2 size shoes in a Clarks store once and asked if I could o... [More]
Comment icon #25 Posted by ScotDeerie on 23 July, 2019, 13:00
Of course delivering the mail WAS his job. If he didn't like it, he *could* quit and get another job. It wasn't forced labor.† I don't know about the Netherlands but fooling around with mail in the USA is a Federal offense. So burying mail here†just to be lazy or p*** off your employer will get you locked up in Big Boy Prison. Sometimes for a long time. I can't help but think there's some mental problems going on with his faulty "deliver it vs. bury it" reasoning.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Impedancer on 23 July, 2019, 16:36
He must be employed by post nord†

Real-life 'blob' has 720 sexes but no brain
10-17-2019
A zoo in Paris has showcased one of the world's strangest organisms - a brainless, self-healing 'blob'.
'Helical engine' could reach relativistic speeds
10-16-2019
NASA engineer David Burns has developed a concept for a new drive capable of reaching distant solar systems.
Isolated family spent years awaiting 'end times'
10-16-2019
A family in the Netherlands has been rescued after being kept in a secret room waiting for the end of the world.
NASA unveils new Artemis spacesuit prototypes
10-16-2019
Keen to meet its 2024 deadline for returning to the Moon, NASA has unveiled its first new spacesuits in 40 years.
I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia

A haunting in Iowa
9-26-2019 | Central City, Iowa

Oddest thing I've ever seen
9-19-2019 | Kentucky

The blanket tugger
9-19-2019 | QLD

Unknown flash
9-19-2019 | GA

An encounter in the woods
9-17-2019 | McGuire A.F.B., NJ