Saturday, December 7, 2019

Amazon is working on an AI household robot

Posted on Saturday, 13 July, 2019 | Comment icon 6 comments

What if Amazon Alexa could move around your house and come when called ? Image Credit: Andres Urena
Reports indicate that web giant Amazon is ramping up development of its upcoming consumer oriented robot.
Amazon Alexa, which sits in your house and accepts voice commands enabling it to play music, activate lights, read news headlines and many other functions, is one of several intelligent personal assistants currently vying for dominance alongside Google Home and the Apple HomePod.

Now however, Amazon is aiming to take this technology one step further by implementing it in to an actual robot that can not only answer questions, but also move autonomously around your home.

Codenamed 'Vesta', the new device is currently being worked on by Amazon's Lab126 research and development arm in Sunnyvale, California.

According to reports, the web giant had intended to reveal the robot earlier this year but it wasn't quite ready for mass-production and more engineers have since been assigned to help speed things along.
Rumor has it that the robot will be about waist-high and can navigate using an array of cameras.

An internal demonstration reportedly saw an engineer call the robot over using only his voice.

While it isn't clear exactly when Vesta will be available to buy from Amazon's website, the increased emphasis on development could mean that it will make an appearance as early as next year.

It appears as though the age of the home robot could be about to begin.

Source: Bloomberg | Comments (6)

Tags: Amazon, Robot, Vesta

Comment icon #1 Posted by Seti42 on 13 July, 2019, 17:31
Why would anyone want this? Or an Alexa, for that matter? honestly, (corporate spying paranoia aside) the only reason I see for 'household robots' would be for the physically disabled. And even then hired caregivers are better and create jobs that don't require STEM degrees.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Jaded1 on 13 July, 2019, 18:06
Unfortunately it's because people are getting lazier and lazier. If I wanted to play a song (for example) I'd get up and put it on myself, rather than sitting on my fat posterior and asking a machine to do it for me. Now people will get even lazier and won't even bother getting up to do anything as they'll have a robot "slave" to do it for them. No wonder more and more people are obese.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Love Buzz on 13 July, 2019, 21:27
I enjoy cleaning my house. I blast my music and vacuum like Mrs. Doubtfire. You burn a lot calories ya know!
Comment icon #4 Posted by HSlim on 15 July, 2019, 17:53
I don't know how I feel about this..... I've got an Alexa and I know Amazon is already listening to me and my wife have loud vulgar sex
Comment icon #5 Posted by moonman on 15 July, 2019, 18:08
Now Alexa can get closer to you and eavesdrop better. Call me when the roboslaves can make me a sandwich and do laundry, until then there's not really a point.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Calibeliever on 15 July, 2019, 18:21
If it can fetch me a cold one and find where I left the bleeping remote, you might have a sale here.

'Bigfoot chases car' video emerges in Russia
12-6-2019
Footage showing a car being pursued by an unknown creature has been doing the rounds on social media.
Banana duct-taped to a wall sells for $120,000
12-6-2019
Modern art connoisseurs have taken to a rather tongue-in-cheek exhibit at a Miami Beach art festival this week.
Quantum physicist describes alien encounter
12-6-2019
Quantum computing expert Deep Prasad has come forward with a rather extraordinary story.
Planet found orbiting white dwarf in world first
12-5-2019
Astronomers have discovered a huge planet orbiting the burnt-out husk of a star that was once like the Sun.
My reptilian encounter
11-24-2019 | Ireland and Australia

The day I found out I am immortal
11-24-2019 | Hialeah

Recent activity in my home
11-24-2019 | Kansas City, MO USA

The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia