Sunday, November 29, 2020

Wearable 'tail' can help improve your balance

Posted on Tuesday, 6 August, 2019 | Comment icon 12 comments

Would you wear a robotic tail to work ? Image Credit: YouTube / Yamen Saraiji
This remarkable wearable robotic tail has been developed by researchers at Keio University in Japan.
While tails for humans have actually been available for years in Japan, these are typically purely cosmetic in nature and worn more for fun than for any appreciable practical benefit.

Now though, researchers have invented a whole new type of tail - one that is designed to augment the wearer's capabilities by helping them to balance more effectively during a range of movements.
Known as the Arque tail, the device is based on the tail of a seahorse and is comprised of a series of interconnected plastic vertebrae as well as four 'muscles' powered by compressed air.

It has already proven particularly effective at acting as a counterbalance to help workers pick up heavy objects, a bit like an exoskeleton that provides the wearer with enhanced strength.

There is also the potential for the tail to provide haptic feedback for virtual reality users.

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (12)

Tags: Tail, Japan

Comment icon #3 Posted by Bendy Demon on 6 August, 2019, 19:08
Kind of cool really but what if the cause of ones balance issues is largely due to some abnormality of the inner ear? I am not sure an artificial tail would help those people. Still like the idea though. :)
Comment icon #4 Posted by AllPossible on 6 August, 2019, 21:08
I'll make sure I sing my next karaoke song when I buy this..... I'm a model ya you know what I mean And I do my little turn on the catwalk Yeah, on the catwalk, on the catwalk, yeah I do my little turn on the catwalk
Comment icon #5 Posted by Piney on 6 August, 2019, 21:17
This would help some autistic people whose issue is their motor skills.
Comment icon #6 Posted by XenoFish on 6 August, 2019, 21:19
I'm livin' the dream!!!
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hammerclaw on 6 August, 2019, 23:04
Pretty lame. In China, they're breeding real monkey people.
Comment icon #8 Posted by Golden Duck on 7 August, 2019, 0:00
Sir Mix-A-Lot does not approve.
Comment icon #9 Posted by pixiii on 7 August, 2019, 0:40
The Furry community who love a bit of Cosplay will absolutely applaud this idea.  Although, I'm not sure it'll fit into their budgets for their costumes, but the aiding in balance aspect of the tail will be so handy for some.  Kinda like an extra limb in a way.  Made me think of Kangaroos actually.  Gotta hand it to the Asians, they really do think outside the box with their inventions. Oh LOL that's so wrong (stifles laugh), yet so funny and yet so true?!
Comment icon #10 Posted by jowasmus on 7 August, 2019, 14:05
Why? I mean, REALLY, why? Wings would have been a much better idea. :D
Comment icon #11 Posted by DieChecker on 8 August, 2019, 7:10
I'm going to do my best to never have to wear one of these.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Jon the frog on 13 August, 2019, 1:30
Some people wear other kinds of false ''Tail'' to improve something else.

Has the source of the Wow! signal been found ?
11-28-2020
An amateur astronomer has pinpointed the most likely star system from which the signal may have originated.
'Creature' blamed for mystery bridge deaths
11-28-2020
A prophet is investigating a series of deaths attributed to a mysterious creature at a bridge in Zimbabwe.
Dead mink are rising from the grave in Denmark
11-27-2020
Mink that have been culled and buried due to the coronavirus have started emerging from beneath the soil.
New docuseries to explore Heaven's Gate cult
11-27-2020
A new HBO six-part series will look at the history of one of the most notorious cults in modern American history.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball