Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Mystery as 150 beachgoers fall ill in Essex

Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 | Comment icon 8 comments

The cause of the illness continues to remain a mystery. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Christine Matthews
An unexplained malady has befallen beachgoers along the Essex coast and nobody knows what's causing it.
The problem began on Sunday when two young girls started to experience breathing difficulties.

"My daughter started coughing," said their mother, Miriam Lansdell. "She said, 'I don't feel good. It hurts to breathe in'. My other daughter was gasping and couldn't form words."
Since then, at least 150 people have reported similar symptoms, as well as coughing and vomiting, after visiting beaches in Frinton-on-Sea, Clacton and Walton-on-the-Naze.

Samples of seawater have been collected for analysis and beachgoers have been advised to stay out of the water however the cause of the mysterious outbreak continues to remain unknown.

Source: BBC News | Comments (8)

Tags: Essex, Illness, Beach

Comment icon #1 Posted by mdbuilder on 28 August, 2019, 12:26
If I had to guess, I'd say it was the water...
Comment icon #2 Posted by Nnicolette on 28 August, 2019, 12:39
There has been alotta contaminated water this year. There are several places I†used to swim but couldnt because people are getting really sick and also flesh eating bacteria. I think its the warm water propegating bacteria.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Scholar4Truth on 28 August, 2019, 15:23
Tainted water is my guess.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Gary Meadows on 28 August, 2019, 16:35
We've had a problem in my area with dangerous algae in the river. After a few dog deaths they've warned against going near it. I think mother nature is angry with us...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Manwon Lender on 29 August, 2019, 1:55
I also think it could be an Algae Bloom, it most cases it just makes shellfish poisonous. But I guess it could also affect people swimming in water contaminated by it.
Comment icon #6 Posted by skookum on 29 August, 2019, 7:34
Same thing happened in Worthing a few weeks ago.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 30 August, 2019, 14:20
Maybe there are more and more whales filling it with peepee cause global whaling has been in decline for decades.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MissJatti on 31 August, 2019, 13:21
I heard there was a spillage near by. And only 150 people. Frinton beach is quite popular here.

BBC film crew was held at gunpoint at Area 51
11-11-2019
Comedian Andrew Maxwell and his crew once had their own harrowing experience near the secretive facility.
Video of a fish with a human-like face goes viral
11-11-2019
Unnerving footage of a carp with distinctly human-like facial features has recently emerged on social media.
Geneticists propose human/tardigrade hybrids
11-11-2019
Combining tardigrade DNA with our own could one day improve our ability to survive for long periods in space.
Mercury set for rare transit of the Sun tomorrow
11-10-2019
This spectacular celestial event, which only happens a few times per century, will be visible for 5.5 hours.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia