Friday, May 29, 2020

Mystery as 150 beachgoers fall ill in Essex

Posted on Wednesday, 28 August, 2019 | Comment icon 8 comments

The cause of the illness continues to remain a mystery. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Christine Matthews
An unexplained malady has befallen beachgoers along the Essex coast and nobody knows what's causing it.
The problem began on Sunday when two young girls started to experience breathing difficulties.

"My daughter started coughing," said their mother, Miriam Lansdell. "She said, 'I don't feel good. It hurts to breathe in'. My other daughter was gasping and couldn't form words."
Since then, at least 150 people have reported similar symptoms, as well as coughing and vomiting, after visiting beaches in Frinton-on-Sea, Clacton and Walton-on-the-Naze.

Samples of seawater have been collected for analysis and beachgoers have been advised to stay out of the water however the cause of the mysterious outbreak continues to remain unknown.

Source: BBC News | Comments (8)

Tags: Essex, Illness, Beach

Comment icon #1 Posted by mdbuilder on 28 August, 2019, 12:26
If I had to guess, I'd say it was the water...
Comment icon #2 Posted by Nnicolette on 28 August, 2019, 12:39
There has been alotta contaminated water this year. There are several places I used to swim but couldnt because people are getting really sick and also flesh eating bacteria. I think its the warm water propegating bacteria.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Scholar4Truth on 28 August, 2019, 15:23
Tainted water is my guess.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Gary Meadows on 28 August, 2019, 16:35
We've had a problem in my area with dangerous algae in the river. After a few dog deaths they've warned against going near it. I think mother nature is angry with us...
Comment icon #5 Posted by Manwon Lender on 29 August, 2019, 1:55
I also think it could be an Algae Bloom, it most cases it just makes shellfish poisonous. But I guess it could also affect people swimming in water contaminated by it.
Comment icon #6 Posted by skookum on 29 August, 2019, 7:34
Same thing happened in Worthing a few weeks ago.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Twisted_Caulk on 30 August, 2019, 14:20
Maybe there are more and more whales filling it with peepee cause global whaling has been in decline for decades.
Comment icon #8 Posted by MissJatti on 31 August, 2019, 13:21
I heard there was a spillage near by. And only 150 people. Frinton beach is quite popular here.

Eerie shadow figure captured on hotel CCTV
5-28-2020
Footage captured earlier this month on a hotel CCTV camera seems to show a ghostly figure in a hallway.
Boys sought spider bite 'to gain superpowers'
5-28-2020
Three boys in Bolivia recently got more than they bargained for when they tried to become Spider-Man.
Scientists solve 'missing matter' mystery
5-28-2020
New light has been shone on the whereabouts of a large percentage of the universe's missing baryonic matter.
Live: SpaceX Crew Dragon launch to the ISS
5-27-2020
Join the livestream as Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken launch from US soil aboard a SpaceX Crew Dragon.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter