Monday, November 18, 2019

Tainted drug turns babies into 'werewolves'

Posted on Tuesday, 27 August, 2019 | Comment icon 19 comments

'Werewolf syndrome' causes excessive hair growth. Image Credit: CC BY 4.0 Wellcome Collection gallery
A medical blunder has resulted in more than a dozen babies developing 'werewolf syndrome' in Spain.
The bizarre accident reportedly happened when a special preparation of the acid reflux drug omeprazole became inadvertently contaminated with minoxidil - a drug used to treat baldness.

Omeprazole is usually taken by adults in capsule form, but because young children are unable to swallow the capsules it has to be made into a special syrup.

The babies who took the contaminated medicine ended up exhibiting the symptoms of hypertrichosis or "werewolf syndrome" which is characterized by abnormal hair growth all over the body.
So far there have been 16 reported cases and 22 batches of the drug have since been recalled.

Fortunately however the condition has disappeared in those who have stopped taking it.

Health authorities have appealed for anyone with excessive hair growth to visit their doctor.

Source: Newsweek | Comments (19)

Tags: Werewolf Syndrome

Comment icon #10 Posted by Desertrat56 on 27 August, 2019, 20:23
I'm too young for a mustache, that happens to women when their hormones change.†
Comment icon #11 Posted by Nnicolette on 27 August, 2019, 21:42
Nonsense! I've always had one. But I am a bit Scottish too†
Comment icon #12 Posted by Desertrat56 on 27 August, 2019, 21:58
Oh, well, I have some scottish dna, as well as irish and english and some random other stuff.† Maybe it is the irish because my mother's family is mostly hairless and my dad's family has the scots behind them.† My mom only got one hair on her lip her whole life even when she quit taking the prescribed hormones.
Comment icon #13 Posted by SecretSanta on 27 August, 2019, 22:47
Iíve always had one but it is getting darker and somewhat thicker now that Iím getting older. I also have thick eyebrows. Iíve told my kids that if Iím ever unable to pluck and wax they better do it for me because if I die with a unibrow and mustache Iím coming back to haunt them.† No Scottish blood here, Polish and Irish.†
Comment icon #14 Posted by SecretSanta on 27 August, 2019, 22:48
Some babies suffer from really bad reflux and theyíre miserable.†
Comment icon #15 Posted by Antnanna on 28 August, 2019, 5:09
What a hairy situation.
Comment icon #16 Posted by MissJatti on 28 August, 2019, 6:17
How old is this incident??? because.......
Comment icon #17 Posted by Impedancer on 28 August, 2019, 8:25
The only positive with this is that you will stay warm during the winter and you can tie your hair with the thing you got in your ass to keep a good posture.† :-)
Comment icon #18 Posted by Farmer77 on 28 August, 2019, 8:29
† Nah the real positive† is that its only happening to babies. I take omeprezole† every day
Comment icon #19 Posted by SmartAZ on 2 September, 2019, 12:38
But you are bonkers if you think a vaccine might not be reliable.

Egypt hints at 'mummified lion' discovery
11-17-2019
Archaeologists in Egypt have discovered the mummy of a very large animal, most likely a lion or lioness.
Unsettling baby cam image creeps out parents
11-17-2019
When a couple recently acquired a baby monitor, the image it produced wasn't quite what they were expecting.
Officers were ordered to erase UFO evidence
11-17-2019
Former USS Nimitz officers claim that 'unknown individuals' ordered them to hand over all the recordings.
'Bigfoot screams' video continues to intrigue
11-16-2019
A recording of terrifying howling sounds coming from the woods of rural Canada still lacks a definitive explanation.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia