Sunday, January 16, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Natural World > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Natural World

Eggs from deadly spider found in bananas

September 10, 2014 | Comment icon 26 comments

Bananas are sourced from countries where deadly spiders are common. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 3.0 Paasikivi
A woman from Essex returned from the supermarket to find a clutch of strange eggs on a bunch of bananas.
30-year-old Abby Woodgate had initially mistaken the eggs for mould and had attempted to remove it so that she could still use the rest of the bunch when she discovered that it was actually a cocoon containing a quantity of tiny eggs.

Throwing the bananas in the bin she then used a vaccum cleaner to hoover up a few of the eggs that had dropped on to the floor. After that she called the supermarket, Tesco, who sent pest control specialists around to her house to investigate.
Woodgate got the fright of her life when she was told that the eggs belonged to one of the world's deadliest species of arachnid - the Brazilian wandering spider. The pest controllers confiscated both the bin and the vacuum cleaner to ensure that none of the eggs could hatch in the house.

The species itself is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the world's most venomous spider and a single bite can lead to intense pain, loss of muscle control and asphyxiation.

"I couldnít believe it when the little cocoon opened," said Woodgate. "It looked just like frog spawn - I still didnít think the worst. But then it dawned on me and I jumped and threw them in the bin."

Source: Independent | Comments (26)

Comment icon #17 Posted by ROGER 7 years ago
Same thing happened about a year ago . Very similar .
Comment icon #18 Posted by George Ford 7 years ago
This happens every so often, people have to understand the shear volume of bananas that a picked and sent abroad every single day. World exports of bananas are around 163 million tons per year! Bananas plants are home to a whole host of critters from harmless to deadly and that fact only a few spiders get reported about making it to the UK is good news and IMO proof of an over use of insecticides. The real worry that you probably don't know about is that there are a whole host of pests and diseases that are killing bananas off. An example is the 'Cavendish' banana which is the most popular and... [More]
Comment icon #19 Posted by Insanity 7 years ago
According to a professor of entomology, the eggs are unlikely to have belonged to the claimed spider. Only one of the two genera of the Brazilian wandering spider, Phoneutria poses a threat to humans, the other does not. http://www.livescien...ed-bananas.html
Comment icon #20 Posted by Red Howler 7 years ago
Spider nurseries love fruit.
Comment icon #21 Posted by Dracona15 7 years ago
Orange you glad you didn't eat those bananas?
Comment icon #22 Posted by Frank Merton 7 years ago
Comment icon #23 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats 7 years ago
The banana industry nevertheless needs to deal with this better -- some people hearing such stories will stop buying them. given that the VAST majority of people who eat bananas are under single digits, I don't think "spiders" will put the people buying the bananas off, as often they're the only fruit (yes, I know they're not fruit, they're herbs) that kids will eat (my brother, for example, spent neatly a year only eating bananas and Savoury Shapes, the GP said "as long as his fingernails are growing, he's fine").
Comment icon #24 Posted by Leonardo 7 years ago
Spiders found in supermarket bananas are becoming quite a common event these days. I don't expect to find one in mine but the thought is always there when I bring them home and open the bag. Finding a cocoon of spider's eggs is more unusual, she's lucky they were just the eggs. Little does she know it's just because the mama spider decided to temporarily leave the eggs to go hunting. But she'll be back!
Comment icon #25 Posted by MysteryMike 7 years ago
Even if the eggs hatched, I really doubt the hatchling spiders would have survived in the environment for very long. I mean this is a tropical species of Spider, the cold would eventually get to them. And if Bananas are going to be imported to other places in the world at grocery stores, they should inspect all the bananas to make sure there aren't anything on them.
Comment icon #26 Posted by Frank Merton 7 years ago
given that the VAST majority of people who eat bananas are under single digits, I don't think "spiders" will put the people buying the bananas off, as often they're the only fruit (yes, I know they're not fruit, they're herbs) that kids will eat (my brother, for example, spent neatly a year only eating bananas and Savoury Shapes, the GP said "as long as his fingernails are growing, he's fine"). Well I don't think you have to be young to enjoy bananas. I have a couple of them every day and I'm over seventy. Not only do they taste good but they are convenient and when I eat them regularly I don'... [More]

Total Posts: 7,210,781    Topics: 295,724    Members: 195,194