Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Man uses eidetic memory to steal credit cards

Posted on Tuesday, 10 September, 2019 | Comment icon 8 comments

With great power comes great responsibility... Image Credit: PD - TheDigitalWay
A Japanese clerk memorized the credit card details of 1,300 customers using his photographic memory.
If you were gifted with the ability to accurately recall even the smallest details of anything you looked at even months or years later, what would you do with it ?

In the case of 34-year-old part-time cashier Yusuke Taniguchi from Koto City, Japan, having such a remarkable memory proved particularly useful for stealing other people's credit card details.

In a feat of memorization that would be highly impressive if it wasn't also totally unethical, Taniguchi successfully recalled the full payment details of 1,300 customers.
His insane memory had essentially enabled him to make purchases using the card details of anyone he happened to have served during his job without having to lay one finger on the actual cards.

He was caught after buying items using these details and then selling them at a pawn shop.

It just goes to show that you don't need to have your card physically stolen for someone to use it.

The chances of encountering someone with a memory like Taniguchi's however are very slim indeed.

Source: Gizmodo | Comments (8)

Tags: Memory

Comment icon #1 Posted by and then on 10 September, 2019, 16:03
Imagine being blessed with an ability that would allow most people to excel beyond imagining in the academic realm and using it for such low purposes.† I hope the guy gets his integrity and honor back on track.† What a waste.
Comment icon #2 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 10 September, 2019, 16:15
@Piney†Could do this, he remembers everything and every detail.†
Comment icon #3 Posted by Farmer77 on 10 September, 2019, 16:25
God I forget† what I was doing when I walk from my office to the kitchen.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Piney on 10 September, 2019, 16:27
Which is why I made the best company intellgence officer-scout ever.†
Comment icon #5 Posted by Iilaa'mpuul'xem on 10 September, 2019, 16:48
We had some fun times and some scary moments.... Ohhh to be young again Bro.
Comment icon #6 Posted by acute on 10 September, 2019, 16:52
As he's Japanese, I expect he will redeem himself with the ancient art of†Seppuku.
Comment icon #7 Posted by capeo on 11 September, 2019, 2:45
Thereís nothing about eidetic memory that would make you excel at anything because it only, rarely,†exists in children. Heís either using mnemonic strategies or heís a form of calendrical savant. If itís the former, then heís likely of average intelligence. If itís the latter then†heís well below average intelligence.†
Comment icon #8 Posted by and then on 22 September, 2019, 15:40
You've made me curious so I'll look into it further.† I was under the impression it was a permanent ability.† It's been my experience that in academics, the ability to retrieve information was critical.† My memory is keyed more to recognition and context than to recall.††

BBC film crew was held at gunpoint at Area 51
11-11-2019
Comedian Andrew Maxwell and his crew once had their own harrowing experience near the secretive facility.
Video of a fish with a human-like face goes viral
11-11-2019
Unnerving footage of a carp with distinctly human-like facial features has recently emerged on social media.
Geneticists propose human/tardigrade hybrids
11-11-2019
Combining tardigrade DNA with our own could one day improve our ability to survive for long periods in space.
Mercury set for rare transit of the Sun tomorrow
11-10-2019
This spectacular celestial event, which only happens a few times per century, will be visible for 5.5 hours.
The houndsman
10-26-2019 | Michigan, USA

Birthday balloon
10-26-2019 | Usa

Devil man in a suit
10-26-2019 | Ohio

I accidentally called myself ?
9-28-2019 | United States

Giant wolf in my basement
9-28-2019 | Connecticut

I saw a shadow figure...
9-26-2019 | Australia