World of the Bizarre
Dog turns on microwave, sets house on fire
By T.K. Randall
December 3, 2019 · 7 comments
Dogs and microwaves don't mix. Image Credit: James E. Foehl / US Navy
A dog that was left home alone in South-East England recently managed to set his owner's home ablaze.
The bizarre incident occurred after the adventurous canine somehow succeeded in activating a microwave that had been sitting on a worktop in the kitchen.
A bag of rolls that happened to be inside the appliance at the time heated up and caught fire.
As luck would have it, the owner actually noticed the smoke on a live camera feed viewable through an app on his mobile phone and was quick to notify the emergency services.
The house sustained only minimal damage and the dog managed to escape unscathed.
"Clearly this is a very strange incident involving the man's dog, but it could still have been more serious," said Corringham Fire Station watch manager Geoff Wheal.
"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke. Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area - but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use."
"Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging. Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think - so please don't run the risk."
| Comments (7)