Thursday, August 6, 2020

Skeleton sheds new light on first Americans

Posted on Friday, 7 February, 2020 | Comment icon 12 comments

The first Americans traversed a landscape much like this. Image Credit: NPS - PD
Human remains dating back 10,000 years have helped to rewrite the history book on America's earliest settlers.
Discovered in an underwater cave known as Chan Hol near the city of Tulum, Mexico, the skeleton challenges the traditional view that the first settlers arrived in the Americas as a single population.

An analysis has revealed that the skeleton, which belonged to a 30-year-old Paleoindian woman, has a skull that differs from those of other skeletons that have been found from the same time period, suggesting "at least two morphologically different Paleoindian populations."

The first group of humans to arrive in the Americas crossed over a land bridge that connected Asia to North America during the last ice age around 12,000 years ago.
"The Tulum skeletons may indicate that either more than one group of humans originally reached the American continent from different geographical points of origin, or that there was sufficient time for a small group of early settlers living in isolation on the Yucatan Peninsula, to develop a different skull morphology," said Dr Silvia Gonzalez from Liverpool John Moores University.

"In either case, the early settlement history of the Americas appears to be more complicated and may date back thousands of years earlier than commonly believed, according to the new human morphology data."

Source: Evening Standard | Comments (12)

Tags: Americas

Comment icon #3 Posted by Piney on 8 February, 2020, 17:15
The "Beringia standstill" hypothesis agrees with the date, so it's possible. A lot of us Smithsonian token Indians think much evidence was lost in the catastrophic glacial flooding and many genetic lineages were lost during the genocide so 25,000 years ago is a viable date for settlement of North America is a good possibility. No remains yet Uncle. I hope if something is found the Dine will allow a study.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 14 April, 2020, 6:11
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200205143351.htm The authors add: "The Tulúm skeletons indicate that either more than one group of people reached the American continent first, or that there was enough time for a small group of early settlers who lived isolated on the Yucatán peninsula to develop a different skull morphology. The early settlement history of America thus seems to be more complex and, moreover, to have occurred at an earlier time than previously assumed."   I have been gone awhile. I figure I would ease into the forums again.    What settlement ideology do you agree... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by and then on 14 April, 2020, 6:14
Welcome back!  You've been gone a LONG time
Comment icon #6 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 14 April, 2020, 6:16
I have been. I see some familiars still around though
Comment icon #7 Posted by jmccr8 on 14 April, 2020, 7:19
Hi Aus Good to see you how are things going? jmccr8
Comment icon #8 Posted by jmccr8 on 14 April, 2020, 7:22
I have read several papers recently that discuss this and will give you some links when I am at my computer. jmccr8
Comment icon #9 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 14 April, 2020, 15:04
Things are going well. Starting a new business. I mean, got to do something while home, LOL. Good to see you. Realised I have been a member here for 10 years. It goes quick. School for me is rounding to an end. It kept taking me more and more away from my family, and becoming an engineer would take me even further, so I have decided to start a family run business instead and save the debt for that instead ha ha ha. Still doing well in school, finished all the calculus and physics they offered. I enjoyed it... learned alot... found my family much more enjoyable though. It is transfer time and I... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by Aus Der Box Skeptisch on 14 April, 2020, 15:05
Sounds good. I look forward to it.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hammerclaw on 14 April, 2020, 15:19
That 12,000 year benchmark date persists, even though it's been pretty much shot out of the water. The vast coastal plains first encountered on entry to the New World, probably by boat, are long submerged. Old notions die hard.
Comment icon #12 Posted by jmccr8 on 14 April, 2020, 18:19
Hi Aus Great, glad to hear that you have found a way to have time with family and balance with work. Best wishes for your family and business. I am going to give you these links for now but have a couple of others somewhere that I will find and link as well as this is an interesting subject. https://www.academia.edu/38656203/Chapter_4_Clocking_the_arrival_of_Homo_sapiens_in_the_Southern_Cone_of_South_America?email_work_card=view-paper https://www.academia.edu/18702499/New_Archaeological_Evidence_for_an_Early_Human_Presence_at_Monte_Verde_Chile https://www.academia.edu/27609254/Radiocarbon_chro... [More]

Neuralink chip to offer 'superhuman hearing'
8-6-2020
Elon Musk's potentially revolutionary brain-computer interface chip is nothing if not ambitious.
Donald Trump hints at UFO 'total transparency'
8-5-2020
The US President was quizzed again about the subject of UFOs during a recent interview on Fox Business.
First evidence of cancer found in dinosaur bone
8-5-2020
Palaeontologists have revealed for the first time that even the dinosaurs suffered from cancer.
Revealed: the CIA's nuclear-powered bird drone
8-4-2020
Newly declassified CIA documents have revealed details of a secretive Cold War spy drone that looked like a bird.
Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball