Saturday, May 30, 2020

Mysterious black raindrops fall over Japan

Posted on Sunday, 8 March, 2020 | Comment icon 12 comments

Black rain is considered a bad omen in Japan. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Thomas Leuthard
Authorities in central Japan have been trying to track down what was responsible for turning the rain black.
Back in 1919, famed researcher Charles Fort, who spent much of his time recording cases of unexplained (or Fortean) phenomena, documented numerous accounts of peculiar downpours including deluges of blue, green, red and yellow rain with no apparent explanation.

This latest example of strangely colored rain was reported back at the beginning of this month when residents across the city of Hasuda and its neighboring area noticed that the rain had turned black.

Images of the peculiar black puddles and drops soon started cropping up all over social media.
Black rain is considered to be something of a sinister omen in Japan as it resembles the rain that fell following the dropping of nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki during World War II.

Hasuda City officials have since issued a statement announcing that an investigation is underway, however some news outlets have speculted that a fire at a plastics factory could be to blame.

Whatever the case, it's not something residents will want to see happen again anytime soon.

Source: Unilad.co.uk | Comments (12)

Tags: Rain, Japan

Comment icon #3 Posted by Buzz_Light_Year on 8 March, 2020, 19:42
Well that would be a new twist on the Black Plague.
Comment icon #4 Posted by Tuco's Gas on 8 March, 2020, 21:09
I experienced black rain in Beijing when I visited there for six days during the 2008 Olympics . I recall looking like I had mascara that ran down my face when I looked in the mirror in a foyer of our hotel when we got back to it after getting caught in a sudden shower outside. According to locals there it's not that unique. Clearly it's caused by precipitation falling through the thick layer of factory-produced smokey pollution, on its path to the earth.  The locals call it "hei yu" --though that spelling is almost certainly wrong. LOL  If anyone reading this has visited Beijing, they know ve... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by and then on 8 March, 2020, 23:47
Our daughter was adopted from there in 2000.  We had to stay in country 10 days - mostly to spend money.  The cultural sites around Beijing were magnificent, unforgettable, but the air quality in early December was unlike anything I've experienced before or since.  My eyes constantly watered, and I had sinus headaches like I've never known since.  I didn't realize that most people were still using coal-fired heaters/stoves.  There were bicycle coal carriers that transported what looked like oversized Hockey pucks.  They were specially made to fit the most common heating appliances.  I don't wa... [More]
Comment icon #6 Posted by Tuco's Gas on 9 March, 2020, 1:04
Summers were unbearable for anyone not used to the local air quality. As a runner, I've done marathons at mile high altitude. I've run in Houston (worst air in the U.S.) in August.  I tried to run in Beijing one afternoon before dinner...just a quickie 3-miler was my plan. Big mistake. I quit running and had to walk after about one mile. Then walked for about 10 more minutes before turning around and walking back. Even got a pedocab ride the last couple blocks. The cab driver thought it was hilarious that I tried to run at all.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hankenhunter on 9 March, 2020, 10:27
I wonder if they checked for volcanic ash?
Comment icon #8 Posted by freetoroam on 9 March, 2020, 11:02
Yep, but remember there was a nuclear bomb!. This is not from a nuclear bomb. Peoples beliefs are confusing sometimes. Here is a much more plausible explanation.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Wyld.wulf on 9 March, 2020, 16:34
Wasn’t that a Michael Douglas movie from the 80s?
Comment icon #10 Posted by Bendy Demon on 9 March, 2020, 23:57
Hmm..I was gonna suggest it is the Fire Nation approaching in their ships. (Avatar: the Last Air Bender reference..)
Comment icon #11 Posted by AnneWithAnE on 15 March, 2020, 6:54
Pretty sure this is what happens when there is a lot of ash in the atmostphere. This happened in the middle ages and it turned the sky and grey for a year all over europe blotting out the sun. Its just dirt in the atmosphere.
Comment icon #12 Posted by MissJatti on 15 March, 2020, 12:25
Not saying it was the engineers, but it was the engineers

World's oldest bug discovered in Scotland
5-30-2020
Scientists from Texas have identified the tiny fossil of a millipede that lived more than 425 million years ago.
Proxima b is more Earth-like than we thought
5-30-2020
The closest known extrasolar planet may also be one of the most Earth-like worlds ever discovered.
Monkey steals coronavirus blood samples
5-29-2020
Blood samples from three coronavirus patients were stolen by a monkey in the city of Meerut earlier today.
Pakistani 'spy' pigeon is captured by police
5-29-2020
A pigeon carrying a 'coded message' was recently captured by authorities in India on suspicion of spying.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter