Friday, June 5, 2020

Woman films weird bug crawling on the street

Posted on Friday, 8 May, 2020 | Comment icon 6 comments

What exactly is this thing ? Image Credit: YouTube / Nicole Doctor / Pen News
Nicole Doctor had been walking her dog in Atlanta, Georgia when she encountered this peculiar creature.
The bizarre insect, which featured a long green body, folded wings and a number of long tentacle-like feelers protruding from its head, was unlike anything that she had ever seen before.

"It was squirming around violently so it immediately captured my attention when I was six feet away from it," she said. "When I got closer I noticed ants crawling over its back, probably trying to eat it."

Grabbing her phone, she captured footage as the creature squirmed around on the concrete.

"Its eyes were jutting from the sides of its head, similar to a hammerhead shark," she said. "The wings dragged along the ground, wet and clinging to themselves."
"I almost thought the insect was a huge mutant dragonfly when I saw the wings."

The video quickly racked up thousands of views on social media with users debating over exactly what type of insect this could be.

Most concluded that it was most likely a dobsonfly.

"That is indeed the eastern dobsonfly," said Lyle Buss from the University of Florida's Insect Identification Lab. "That bug is not doing very well."

By the time Nicole had passed the same spot again the following day, the insect was gone.

Source: YouTube | Comments (6)

Tags: Insect

Comment icon #1 Posted by freetoroam on 8 May, 2020, 15:37
I think as the insects start coming out and people see them more than before, there are going to be a lot more questions 'what is this'.
Comment icon #2 Posted by cathya on 8 May, 2020, 16:03
  Gee, I almost feel sorry for that poor bug.
Comment icon #3 Posted by Not Your Huckleberry on 8 May, 2020, 19:31
It's a male dobsonfly. Pretty gnarly looking critters.
Comment icon #4 Posted by the13bats on 8 May, 2020, 20:49
Reminds me of the time late 80s my buddy gets me to take me to his gfs house because she said some big nasty bug was after her, Here is a web pic of same type, So im all jazzed up and when i see it its huge, almost as big as my hand we assume its deadly, i safely grab it take it home, this was pre internet i had to hit the library, Turns out its a whip scorpion or vinegaroon, They are pretty much harmless to humans they just look nasty, the tail whips around no stinger, but i learned the hard way how they get the name vinegaroon they spray a concentrated vinegar and if you arent expecting it o... [More]
Comment icon #5 Posted by Princess Serenity on 8 May, 2020, 20:59
Ew. That's one nasty looking bug! No thank you.
Comment icon #6 Posted by fred_mc on 10 May, 2020, 17:51
I recognize that bug. It has already been posted as weird-looking bug at least twice here during the past years I think.

Insane landslide sweeps houses into the sea
6-5-2020
Video footage shows the moment a huge landslide caused several houses to be swept into the ocean.
Oldest and largest Mayan structure discovered
6-5-2020
Researchers have identified a gigantic Mayan ceremonial platform in Mexico dating back 3,000 years.
'Poltergeist' movie curse endures 38 years on
6-5-2020
On June 4th, 1982, this chilling cult-classic horror movie debuted to cinema audiences for the first time.
Armored dinosaur fossil reveals its last meal
6-4-2020
Scientists have analyzed the stomach contents of the well-preserved remains of an armor-plated dinosaur.
Orb of light in room
5-9-2020 | USA/Texas/Waco

Not sleeping alone
5-9-2020 | Los Angeles

Glowing red eyes
5-9-2020 | Fields, Louisiana

Two creature sightings
5-1-2020 | Augusta and Louisana

My haunted home
5-1-2020 | Rainham, Essex, UK

In over my head
3-3-2020 | CA

Stranger at night
3-3-2020 | Merritt Island, FL, U.S.

The babysitter