Monday, January 25, 2021
  Bizarre

Boys sought spider bite 'to gain superpowers'

Posted on Thursday, 28 May, 2020 | Comment icon 18 comments

No, getting bitten will not turn you into Spider-Man. Image Credit: CC BY 2.0 Roger Murmann
Three boys in Bolivia recently got more than they bargained for when they tried to become Spider-Man.
In an incident that serves as an alarming reminder of how easily fictional stories can rub off on the impressionable, three young boys aged 8, 10 and 12 recently attempted to gain the web-slinging powers of Spider-Man by deliberately allowing a black widow spider to bite them.

The ill-advised stunt sought to mimic the way Peter Parker obtained his powers in the comics.

Unsurprisingly, after provoking the spider to strike, things didn't go too well for the trio who all ended up experiencing severe muscle pains, cramps and spasms due to the effects of the venom.

Their mother quickly took them to a local hospital where they were given initial treatment before being transferred to a hospital in Llallagua. They were then transferred yet again to a Children's Hospital in La Paz where their condition eventually started to improve.
Fortunately all three boys ultimately recovered and were released from hospital five days later.

"For children everything is real," said epidemiology head Virgilio Pietro.

"Films are real, dreams could be real, and they (children) are the hope of our life."

Source: CBR.com | Comments (18)

Tags: Spiderman

Comment icon #9 Posted by jowasmus on 29 May, 2020, 14:29
I'm going to be brutally honest for a second on 2 things. 1. When I grew up my grandmother kept me & my 2 cousins. I was the oldest with a year between me & the middle cousin & a year between him and our younger cousin. If we had decided to do this, once the 1st kid got bit, the other 2 wouldn't get within an inch of the spider that bit one of us & he started crying. It just was NOT going to happen. The 1st tears that came out & the other 2 learned from the 1st one's mistake. 2. Yeah, I would probably have been dumb enough to do this at 8, but by 12, I'd hope I was a little... [More]
Comment icon #10 Posted by glorybebe on 29 May, 2020, 15:13
This is why my daughter and I sat down and discussed reality vs fantasy.  At 5 she came back from a visit from her dad's and was having nightmares.  Through lots of talking, she finally admitted she thought a vampire was going to eat her.  He let her watch Underworld.  So many people don't take the time to spend with their children to educate them.  I read a study a while back that says kids couldn't differentiate between cartoon characters and real people.  Now we have such amazing CGI, we really need to be talking AND interacting with our children.  That is our jobs as parents.
Comment icon #11 Posted by jowasmus on 29 May, 2020, 16:26
110% agree! My youngest is about to turn 13 & he loves scary stuff now, but 5 Nights at Freddy's scared the crap outta him when he was younger. LOL Wish I'd have known that before we took him to Chuck E Cheese for his cousins' combined birthday parties. It was bad enough when the animatronics started moving. When that oversized mouse came walking out, he freaked!
Comment icon #12 Posted by jbondo on 29 May, 2020, 17:49
I monitor my daughter's (11) phone and TV. I don't allow her to watch horror movies, no social media, etc... To tell the truth, we didn't even want her having a phone for at least 2 more years, but when she's home by herself, I want her to be able to call us or 911, if needed. Thanks to our home network, I can see if she's recording something she shouldn't be watching, or if she's already watched something her mother and I don't approve of. We can't be on top of everything, but she knows what we approve of and is pretty good about it. She also needs my approval to download any app. I even have... [More]
Comment icon #13 Posted by jowasmus on 29 May, 2020, 21:02
Good for you. I used to be a computer tech. It amazed me what was on the desktop of people's computers when they came in. As for phones, it's a horror what's on some of them as well. People don't even try to hide things anymore. Then they get mad that their kids are doing the same things. I have 2 kids. Good kids, but we monitor every thing they do because we know they are humans. LOL On the influence of the media, I'm right there with you, but it's not just children. I can honestly say that I can be aggressive driving when I watch movies like The Fast & the Furious. I can get angry watchi... [More]
Comment icon #14 Posted by MissJatti on 1 June, 2020, 8:36
you sure you have their ages right.. 12,10,8... and not 6,4,2
Comment icon #15 Posted by Captain Risky on 6 June, 2020, 4:45
lol. "mum can we go to the nuclear power plant..."
Comment icon #16 Posted by TrickOrTrick on 29 June, 2020, 8:43
Yup! I remember a story about a cosplayer dressed as "Raven" from the cartoon Teen Titans and a little girl got so excited and ran to talk to her,asking if she could "make her fly". The dad found it hilarious and encouraged her which isn't good in my opinion. I've also heard of a kid who was told online from fans of some show that he can "create steps that he can climb with his mind" long story short he tried and fell from a 10 story window. He didn't survive. There was also that Naruto incident where the little boy suffocated in sand  also that guy who wrote classmates names in a "Death Note"... [More]
Comment icon #17 Posted by quillius on 29 June, 2020, 14:46
the article failed to say if it actually worked or not....(I will wait for further info before I try it)
Comment icon #18 Posted by Matt221 on 1 July, 2020, 11:38
I tried it and i'd be first to say i don't as yet have web producing facilities in my wrists

Looking back at Darwin's 'abominable mystery'
1-24-2021
The famed naturalist was haunted by one evolutionary mystery that proved too difficult for even him to solve.
Does this photo show a panther in Australia ?
1-24-2021
A Melbourne carpenter has posted up a photograph he took of a large black cat near the Mornington Peninsula.
Quarter of all bee species missing since 1990s
1-23-2021
A new study has revealed that 25% of all known bee species have not been seen in as much as 30 years.
Sri Lankan minister drinks 'magic potion'
1-23-2021
A politician who consumed a potion said to ward off coronavirus has since tested positive for the disease.
The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball