Wednesday, June 16, 2021
  Bizarre

Australian woman wakes up with Irish accent

Posted on Wednesday, 12 May, 2021 | Comment icon 15 comments

Imagine waking up with a totally different accent... Image Credit: TikTok / @angie.mcyen
A woman from Australia who underwent tonsil surgery woke up to find that her accent had completely changed.
An Gie Mcyen, whose accent had been distinctly Australian up until very recently, developed an Irish twang after undergoing a routine procedure and is now unable to reclaim her original voice.

"I woke up with an Irish accent the day before and thought I was gonna wake up from this weird dream," she said. "But no, my Aussie accent's gone."

According to doctors, she is suffering from what is know as Foreign Accent Syndrome - an extremely rare condition that has only been documented around 100 times.

Mcyen, who has never even been to Ireland, initially found that while she sometimes woke up with her original accent, it would very quickly change back to Irish within the space of a few minutes.
"I woke up this morning and I was speaking with my Aussie accent, and I called one of my friends and confirmed that my Aussie accent was back," she said. "But during the phone call, within five to 10 minutes, she could see the deterioration of my accent back to Irish."

"I'm not even trying, I'm completely freaked out."

Her original accent has since disappeared entirely.

"Yes, I know I need medical attention and to see doctors, but it's a struggle to even find the right person to look into me and tell me what's wrong and get me back to my old self," she said.

Source: Lad Bible | Comments (15)

Tags: Accent

Comment icon #6 Posted by Tom1200 on 12 May, 2021, 14:38
It makes sense.† The Irish have evolved and are born without tonsils - they get in the way of drinking.† We're now working on evolving away the liver - what's the point of an organ that just gets destroyed before you're 16?
Comment icon #7 Posted by Hammerclaw on 12 May, 2021, 14:58
I'm Ulster Scot--Scotch-Irish in America. It is said that the first thing English settlers built here was a church. The first thing German settlers built here was a barn.†The first thing Scotch-Irish settlers built here was a whisky still.
Comment icon #8 Posted by papageorge1 on 12 May, 2021, 15:29
I've heard stories of people even speaking in a different language they didn't previously know. Even now extinct dialects. I suspect there may be something going on that doesn't fit at all in our straightforward understanding of how these things work. Past life speaking instincts?
Comment icon #9 Posted by Inn Spectre on 12 May, 2021, 17:31
For the benefit of anyone who doesn't understand the word 'syndrome', it's a doctors' term meaning: 'as usual we haven't a clue what causes it'.
Comment icon #10 Posted by acute on 12 May, 2021, 17:41
It would be more convincing if she was speaking in a different (unfamiliar) language, as some of them do. I'm not saying she's faking it, but she would have heard an Irish accent before this.
Comment icon #11 Posted by Robotic Jew on 13 May, 2021, 11:31
"Australian Woman Desperately Seeks Attention" ****Fixed the headline
Comment icon #12 Posted by Ozymandias on 16 May, 2021, 11:10
Her 'Irish' accent does not sound authentic to my ears.†Consciously or unconsciously, she is in control of her own voice. She has not been taken over by some supernatural entity. Whatever is going on the explanation†is to be found in her own mind. †
Comment icon #13 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 16 May, 2021, 20:48
Bloody Australians, stealing other peopleís accents.
Comment icon #14 Posted by GoldenRabbit on 2 June, 2021, 3:01
Nearly as bad as Queensland stealing Greg Inglis†
Comment icon #15 Posted by Sir Wearer of Hats on 2 June, 2021, 9:31
He was here, no one claimed him after 90 days. Fairís fair :p

190121

Solving the Golden Gate Bridge's mystery hum
6-16-2021
A strange humming noise emanating from the iconic bridge has been driving locals round the bend.
Song triggers amnesiac's lost memories
6-16-2021
A man who had forgotten ten years of his life suddenly experienced flashbacks after hearing a specific song.
Crowds gather to see 'mango with human face'
6-15-2021
A peculiar spectacle in the form of an oddly-shaped mango has recently been generating interest in Kenya.
Contacting ET is 'reckless', say astronomers
6-15-2021
A group of astronomers have warned of the potential dangers of trying to contact intelligent extraterrestrials.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball