Monday, August 8, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

English woman wakes up with Italian accent

October 2, 2014 | Comment icon 15 comments

Doctors know very little about the condition due to its rarity. Image Credit: CC 2.0 Andrew Mason
Kath Lockett suffers from an extremely rare condition known as Foreign Accent Syndrome.

Eight years ago the mother-of-two had been taken to hospital due to a rare brain condition that left her completely unable to speak. When her voice finally did return however she discovered to her horror that she no longer recognized it and that she was now only able to speak in a distinct European accent.

"I feel like Iíve been robbed - now Iím either Italian, Lithuanian, Russian, Polish," she said.
Only a few cases of the remarkably unusual condition have ever been recorded and doctors are still a long way from determining why it happens or how to cure it.

"We donít understand a lot about Foreign Accent Syndrome because it is very rare and cases are very sporadic," said Professor Rosemary Varley. "We take fluent speech for granted until it goes awry. It is one of the most complex speech movement behaviors in the body."

Kath has since been attempting to raise as much awareness as possible about the condition and recently appeared on ITV's "This Morning" programme to tell her story.

"Iím on here today to give other sufferers a voice," she said. "You donít realise what it is until it is gone. Just think for one moment if you lost the voice that you have today."

Source: Mirror | Comments (15)

Comment icon #6 Posted by tipotep 8 years ago
This happens to me all the time, the other night I was drinking schnapps and trust me when I say, I wasn't speaking English after the bottle was gone.
Comment icon #7 Posted by Rolci 8 years ago
You thought a foreign accent was a big deal? Try people waking up speaking a new language! Here are just a few examples: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/811086-woman-speaks-foreign-language-without-learning-it-as-it-was-spoken-150-years-ago-past-life-memories/ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2399474/American-woke-speak-Swedish-goes-Europe-regain-memory.html http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/teen-wakes-coma-speaking-fluent-german/story?id=10395859 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/englishman-wakes-up-speaking-welsh-after-stroke-8431970.html http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne... [More]
Comment icon #8 Posted by Xanthurion2 8 years ago
I was expecting a more science-y name for the syndrome.
Comment icon #9 Posted by DigitalAcolyte 8 years ago
"What would you do if you woke up one morning and discovered that you had started speaking with a different accent ?" It would be sooooo awesome!
Comment icon #10 Posted by Hammerclaw 8 years ago
I woke up one morning sounding like Ringo Starr. One look at my bank account cured me. Could have been worse she could have woke up with a redneck american accent. Hey! I resemble that remark!
Comment icon #11 Posted by Hammerclaw 8 years ago
I was expecting a more science-y name for the syndrome. Farscape Syndrome?
Comment icon #12 Posted by Realm 8 years ago
Thatsa crazy
Comment icon #13 Posted by Alas_113 8 years ago
Strano!
Comment icon #14 Posted by coolguy 8 years ago
When my dad was younger he cut his hand open pretty good and the doc gave him a shot like a pain killer or what ever, my dad was talking to the doc in 100 percent Italian lol. when he came to he spoke English again my dad was 100 percent Italian but his parents never spoke to him in it only English its crazy how the mind works
Comment icon #15 Posted by Mark56 8 years ago
If I could come back talking like Yul Brynner it'd be cool.

Total Posts: 7,309,430    Topics: 300,716    Members: 197,950