Monday, September 20, 2021

UN climate report: 'a code red for humanity'

Posted on Monday, 9 August, 2021 | Comment icon 78 comments

Things are looking dire, but it is not too late... Image Credit: Pixabay
A major new report has found an 'unequivocal' link between human activities and climate change.
The landmark study, which was published today by the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), certainly makes for some grim reading.

Described by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres as "a code red for humanity", the report confirms the devastating effects human activities have been having on our planet.

The problem is already evident across the globe, with wildfires, flooding and other major climate events devastating communities, killing thousands and causing untold amounts of damage.

"If we combine forces now, we can avert climate catastrophe," said Guterres.
"But, as today's report makes clear, there is no time for delay and no room for excuses. I count on government leaders and all stakeholders to ensure COP26 (the climate summit set to take place in Glasgow, Scotland later this year) is a success."

According to the report, global temperatures have risen faster in the last five decades than during any other 50-year period in the last 2,000 years. The last five years have also been the hottest since 1850.

This is already "affecting many weather and climate extremes in every region across the globe."

Over the coming centuries, things will get progressively worse - the sea levels will rise, the ocean will become more acidic and the ice caps will continue to melt until they are gone.

"The consequences will continue to get worse for every bit of warming," said Prof Ed Hawkins from the University of Reading. "And for many of these consequences, there's no going back."

Source: BBC News | Comments (78)

Tags: Climate Change

Comment icon #69 Posted by Doug1066 on 15 August, 2021, 20:09
This is the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report 2021.  Here is the link:  https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/downloads/report/IPCC_AR6_WGI_Full_Report.pdf When you're done reading it, I think you'll know why just saying "It's in the IPCC report" is not an adequate reference. Doug
Comment icon #70 Posted by Hugh Mungus on 15 August, 2021, 20:32
Chapter 6 is the only one relevant to solar forcing. They reference Matthes et al 2017 (which shows particle forcing should be considered in climate change, it's a very interesting paper) yet there is no data set to show that particle forcing has been measured and added to the models. Basically, they referenced a paper they then ignored. There is no reference to any data sheets for particle forcing. This strongly suggests that they didn't consider it at all despite the reference to the paper. Otherwise the data would be included in the appendices. To reinforce this further, all discussions in ... [More]
Comment icon #71 Posted by Br Cornelius on 15 August, 2021, 20:33
Something troubled me about what was said before. I never have talked to my two children about climate change, I trust that they are intelligent enough to inform themselves about such an important question and draw their own conclusions. It would be to depressing to discuss such a depressing subject and I see no reason to try to indoctrinate my children with my own beliefs - unless they specifically ask for my opinion and knowledge. Anyone who feels the need to lecture their children/grandchildren about climate change is not really interested in informing them about the truth.   Br Cornelius
Comment icon #72 Posted by Doug1066 on 15 August, 2021, 21:06
"The solar forcing datasets are provided at daily and monthly resolution separately for the CMIP6 preindustrial control, historical (1850–2014), and future (2015–2300) simulations." That's from the Abstract.  I haven't found the datasets yet, but I'll keep looking. Doug
Comment icon #73 Posted by Doug1066 on 15 August, 2021, 21:09
I have two daughters.  One is an oil-company geologist and very concerned about cliamte change.  She calculates that we will pretty-much ween ourselves off oil over the next 20 years and she is looking for a different job right now. I have no grandchildren, and probably never will.  This is not about me or my family..  It's about the future of this planet. Doug
Comment icon #74 Posted by Br Cornelius on 15 August, 2021, 21:17
The abstract makes no suggestion that there is any trend in any of the solar forcing data, they are all periodic and cyclic. If they believed there was a trend then they would have said so, and this is undoubtedly why the IPCC only make passing reference to the fact that they are attempting to improve the models. It is also telling that the Maunder Minima like event is now well underway and it has shown no sign of precipitating the "mini ice age" which the skeptics were crowing about over a decade ago (and evidently still are). If anything the recent flattening of the upward trend could be att... [More]
Comment icon #75 Posted by Hugh Mungus on 15 August, 2021, 22:37
Keep looking doug. Matthes shows joule heating through all levels of the atmosphere in rapid succession. There are no models that are programmed that way
Comment icon #76 Posted by Doug1066 on 15 August, 2021, 23:54
I don't have a subion to that one on my home computer.  I'll have to wait until I get back to the office.  My wife is sick, so I am at home.  It will probably be several days before I can use the office computer.  Even then, I don't know if the university has a subion.  I might be able to get it through inter-library services without a subion.  So that's where I am with the search. Doug
Comment icon #77 Posted by Doug1066 on 15 August, 2021, 23:58
I'm going to try reading as much of the IPCC report as I can.  I am scheduled for surgery on October 8 and will be laid up for several weeks, so I'll likely have some time. In the meantime, I am trying to find some mistakes in the Bokhoma Log Pond Short-leaf Pine Chronology.  I have come up with a new way to locate misplaced segments, so this is my test subject.  Could make a good little paper. Doug
Comment icon #78 Posted by Abecrombie on 16 August, 2021, 12:30
I beleive mankind , have just been beyond boundaries of right and wrong. the most double comparisons such as black and white , right from wrong , life and death, have been forgotten. see no evil , is a choice. usualy by the monkeys they blind, speak no evil, lead by those believing lies and dont hear for themselves, perceive is a better word. because all we do and say matters and some people have been more obvious then others through a manipulations of types. those that want , those that are selfish, those that demand , those that emotionaly driven by an anger or some privlaged idea for themse... [More]

Man finds creepy doll boarded up under stairs
9-20-2021
A primary school teacher in Liverpool, England found something decidedly creepy hidden in his new home.
Human remains found inside Louisiana alligator
9-19-2021
Wildlife authorities have identified an alligator that is suspected of killing a man who was reported missing.
15th-Century Vinland Map turns out to be fake
9-19-2021
Researchers at Yale University have debunked what was thought to be the earliest known map of the New World.
'Vladimir Putin' is a banned name in Sweden
9-18-2021
A couple in Sweden have been officially banned from naming their newborn baby after the Russian leader.
Mystery 'troll' captured on camera
4-24-2021 | Marsta, Sweden

My Grandfather's NDE
4-24-2021 | Oakland, California

The voice of something not human
11-17-2020 | Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles

Shadow figure demon ?
11-14-2020 | USA

Ghost following me
9-18-2020 | Iowa

Mysterious glowing cube
8-23-2020 | Alabama

Black blob in my room/bed
7-23-2020 | Powell,TN U.S.

Transparent levitating ball