Thursday, August 11, 2022
Contact    |    RSS icon Twitter icon Facebook icon
You are viewing: Home > News > Science & Technology > News story
Welcome Guest ( Login or Register )

Did you know that you can now support us on Patreon ?

Science & Technology

AI creates chilling images of the end of the world

July 31, 2022 | Comment icon 14 comments

Apparently we can look forward to selfie-taking zombies.... Image Credit: TikTok / @robotoverloards
An AI capable of creating images of anything simply by requesting it has had a go at imagining 'the last selfie ever taken'.
Forget trawling through stock image sites - OpenAI's DALL-E artificial intelligence could soon make it possible for anyone to access a picture of absolutely anything that the mind can conceive of simply by describing in natural language what it is you are looking for.

You may have seen examples of this on YouTube, with artists asking for all sorts of weird and wonderful things, but now someone has had the bright idea of asking the system to produce images of "the last selfie ever taken" and the results are pretty terrifying to say the least.

DALL-E's interpretation of this request is a series of images showing zombie-like figures, blood-stained faces and hooded skeletons taking a selfie in front of various apocalyptic backgrounds.

The images, which have been shared on social media, are so horrifying in some cases that they've been giving people nightmares - and they are all entirely produced by an artificial intelligence.

Let's hope DALL-E doesn't know something that we don't about the future...

Source: Mail Online | Comments (14)

Comment icon #5 Posted by Gilbert Syndrome 11 days ago
I'd take my chances with a potentially threatening A.I. than with a guaranteed to be threatening human race.
Comment icon #6 Posted by Orphalesion 11 days ago
I've been saying for years that, theoretically, I wouldn't mind an A.I. takeover all that much. That could finally create a true egalitarian society. Of course, realistically there'd probably be horrible, horrible problems. Like...imagine if an A.I. in charge of shepherding the future of humanity decides that the most efficient way to battle overpopulation would be to nuke the 10 most populous cities in the world...
Comment icon #7 Posted by zep73 11 days ago
And how do humans learn to communicate? How do they learn what's appropriate to say, when to say it and how to say it? By observing their peers, most often their parental units. The learning process of modern AI's and children are astonishingly alike. AI's have also shown an ability to make spontaneous abstract connections - the very stuff we used to identify with being human.
Comment icon #8 Posted by equshemonius 11 days ago
The AI has had to much input from Hollywood.
Comment icon #9 Posted by Gumball 10 days ago
The A.I strictly goes on what humans have already produced. It didn't "imagine' it.  It re-invents our ideas.
Comment icon #10 Posted by HSlim 10 days ago
I thought we were already selfie-taking zombies?
Comment icon #11 Posted by Ozymandias 10 days ago
Artificial Intelligence??!!! Not very intelligent, is it?  An eyeless, emaciated human form can take a selfie? Not only is it blind, but it is so skeletal it could not stand up.
Comment icon #12 Posted by Nnicolette 8 days ago
This reminds me of the time I asked an a.i. for a picture of polar ice caps melting and it decided to throw in drowning people and blood.
Comment icon #13 Posted by CigaretteSmokingMan 8 days ago
Cool and creepy. What AI was that?
Comment icon #14 Posted by HollyDolly 8 days ago
 Well, the pictures are creepy indeed. But Judgement Day isn't here yet, and I'd rather believe what the  Bible has to say, than some AI who I wouldn't rust further than I can through it.

Total Posts: 7,311,368    Topics: 300,796    Members: 197,974