Sunday, April 19, 2015   |   6,684 users online
    Home  ·  News  ·  Forum  ·  Stories  ·  Image Gallery  ·  Columns  ·  Encyclopedia  ·  Videos  ·  Chat

Captain Kirk turns down trip in to space

Posted on Saturday, 21 September, 2013 | Comment icon 28 comments

Shatner won't be boldly going in to space any time soon. Image Credit: CC BY-SA 2.0 Jane Dickson

Star Trek actor William Shatner has turned down a trip in to space because he is scared of flying.

During his stint as the captain of the legendary Starship Enterprise, Shatner became a household name synonymous with voyaging through space and journeying in to the unknown - the perfect candidate, it would seem, to climb aboard Virgin Galactic's Spaceship Two for a flight to the final frontier.

When Richard Branson invited him however it became clear that there was a slight problem. "He actually said he's frightened of airline travel," said Branson. "Which is slightly disillusioning. Captain Kirk is scared of flying."

Several well known figures are believed to be lined up for a chance to travel in to space as part of Branson's flagship space tourism venture. In addition to Branson himself are as many as 625 bookings thought to include Leonardo DiCaprio, Justin Beiber and Professor Stephen Hawking.

With each seat costing up to $250,000 however it may be some time before prices come down enough to make it possible for the average consumer to afford a seat.

Source: Yahoo! | Comments (28)

Tags: William Shatner, Richard Branson, Virgin Galactic

Comment icon #19 Posted by pallidin on 27 September, 2013, 1:27
My emphasis is how great it would be for him to do that. Of course it's his choice, and always will be.
Comment icon #20 Posted by DBunker on 28 September, 2013, 15:47
Not even Buzz Aldrin would go (again) so Im not surprised Shattner said No.
Comment icon #21 Posted by DONTEATUS on 28 September, 2013, 22:08
Come On ! Shattner could do it ! ITs Not like its a full On Launch take off go up to alt,drop ,light the rubber motor and your just a few G-eez away from the View of space ! Not Like your really in Orbit ! My Grand mother would of done it in a Heart Beat ! I know Some people are just not wired to Fly on a wing& a Prayer ! I would do it Today !
Comment icon #22 Posted by rocketmentr on 13 October, 2013, 4:01
This 'rocket' is a nitrous bomb and will kill again,I wouldn't get in that thing even if you paid me $200,000.Branson's ego is much larger than his brain and it's going to be disastrous to the fledgling private space tourism industry.Nitrous Oxide IS an explosive and killed my friend Glenn May July 21,2007,Mojave CA. As an engineer I speak from fact not emotion.
Comment icon #23 Posted by Antilles on 13 October, 2013, 11:20
The Shatman has boldly gone more than any of us have. He's in his 80's! Cut him some slack. He may have health problems that make going into space a no go zone for him. Best captain the USS Enterprise ever had!
Comment icon #24 Posted by emberdawn on 13 October, 2013, 15:33
I wonder if asked if any of the other captains might go?
Comment icon #25 Posted by SkepticalB on 13 October, 2013, 16:42
Damnit Jim, I'm an actor not an astronaut. I'll bet that he would've gone had Leornard Nemoy also been on the trip
Comment icon #26 Posted by DONTEATUS on 13 October, 2013, 17:37
Well afterall Sir Bransons Mom is going ! His Kid, who knows how many older wealthy peeps Will Hit the edge ? As far as Shatner He really should go If His health is not an Issue ? Now If Hes got a really bad ticker from all the women in his past,then He may just wanna do it to Go out with a Bang ! Remember to Boldly Go ! Its a trip of a Life time for the can Do`s ! We are all Explorer`s Come On Waspie would you Go If you had the spare change?
Comment icon #27 Posted by Uncle Sam on 14 October, 2013, 1:45
Respect his wishes, don't force him to do something he doesn't want too. If he doesn't want to do it, I understand, but it would be something I like to do though. Going to space always been one of my lifelong dreams.
Comment icon #28 Posted by keninsc on 14 October, 2013, 5:36
Hey, I hate flying in almost too. However, helicopters don't bother me at all, in fact I'm very relaxed in them. Probably because when I was in Nam and all seemed lost suddenly you'd hear the thump.....thump.....thump of those Hueys coming hot. Soon as you heard that sound you knew help was two minutes away and closing awfully fast. Charlie would cut and run as soon as they heard the sound too. I made a joke once to my CO that all we really needed to do was make a recording of those rotors and play them over the loud speakers. I can't repeat what he said to me.

Four in one strange goings-on
3-30-2015 | South Sweden

A light shining in the night
3-30-2015 | Sawtry, Cambridgeshire, UK

Strange lights in October
3-30-2015 | Canada

Whispers in my ear
3-30-2015 | Corydon, Indiana.

Watery face in clear blue sky
3-30-2015 | Flint, Michigan